Seniority for new hires?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

daniele.fix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seniority for new hires?

Post by daniele.fix »

Hi all,

Just wondering how seniority works for a new hire, what determines your seniority number essentially.
I also saw on a previous thread that deferring a job offer only to accept it later would result in you having a lower seniority number. Sounded strange to me, so if I decline an offer and for whatever reason end up working at jazz later in the future i would be ranked waayy lower than if i had accepted the offer initially??
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Seniority for new hires?

Post by Black_Tusk »

daniele.fix wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering how seniority works for a new hire, what determines your seniority number essentially.
I also saw on a previous thread that deferring a job offer only to accept it later would result in you having a lower seniority number. Sounded strange to me, so if I decline an offer and for whatever reason end up working at jazz later in the future i would be ranked waayy lower than if i had accepted the offer initially??
Seniority is based on date of hire. Date of hire is the day you start groundschool, not the day they offer you a job. It starts with an ALPA rep pulling a name out of a hat. That is the highest seniority person in your class, then they pull out the next name etc. etc.

If you defer or decline a job and then start a year later, your seniority number will be based on your first day at groundschool on site.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Seniority for new hires?

Post by Rowdy »

Black tusk had it!

You get the number the day you actually start (are on the property). The previous ALPA members get the first ones in the class and then it's random and a draw for the remainder.

Why should you get one and start to accrue seniority when you don't actually work here?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”