French / Second language

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MS2
Rank 0
Rank 0

French / Second language

Post by MS2 »

Could anyone please tell me if French is a must language to speak?
I would like to work for Jazz as FA but I only speak English and a second language which is not French...
---------- ADS -----------

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: French / Second language

Post by MarkyMark90 »

It's not mandatory...

But it adds a little something to your resume. You can also be based in Montréal and not speak french.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
MS2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MS2 »

MarkyMark90 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am It's not mandatory...

But it adds a little something to your resume. You can also be based in Montréal and not speak french.
Thanks for the reply!
I see, so there is a chance that I can still try at least.

Do you know anyone working and not speak french?
I believe first a HireVue interview is both in English and French and Requirements include ''Communicate effectively in both French and English (candidates must successfully complete language testing to be considered)''...

Please tell me if anyone knows someone non french speaker but still working for Jazz.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Lots of non-French speaking PILOTS in YUL yes. I don't know of any non-French flight attendants in YUL though. I think the above poster was meaning pilots. I don't know of any flight attendants who have been hired recently who weren't bilingual. It's required by law I think to have at least 1 frenchy on board.

Let’s Go Brandon
MS2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MS2 »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:18 pm Lots of non-French speaking PILOTS in YUL yes. I don't know of any non-French flight attendants in YUL though. I think the above poster was meaning pilots. I don't know of any flight attendants who have been hired recently who weren't bilingual. It's required by law I think to have at least 1 frenchy on board.
I see,
I'm bilingual but not English and French.

Hope anyone knows if Jazz hires non-french speaking people too...

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Its mandatory as an FA, not as a pilot. You might see some older FAs without it but that was before the regs were changed, and even then there must be 1 french one on board..

Source: Talked to one of the FA trainers about it

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There are routes that require a french qualified FA. I don't believe they are hiring anyone without english and french these days. We do still have quite a few senior FA's that were hired at the carriers that were amalgamated into jazz when they did not require french. However they are more and more limited to the pairings/routes they are able to bid it seems.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Rowdy wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:09 pm There are routes that require a french qualified FA. I don't believe they are hiring anyone without english and french these days. We do still have quite a few senior FA's that were hired at the carriers that were amalgamated into jazz when they did not require french. However they are more and more limited to the pairings/routes they are able to bid it seems.
New hire FAs are required to be able to speak French. Surprisingly there is no test of their English

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

From another thread; apparently they pay for/reimburse tuition French language training at GGN, for pilots?

Does jazz have anything for french language training for pilots whether its tuition reimbrmursement or free attendance to company classes?

Im a hopelessly monolingual anglophone and have a genuine interest in learning french so i dont feel like an alien on long YGR/YZV layovers.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Don't even worry about it. I am fluently bilingual and pretty good at written and spoken in both, not by merit, but only because I was born in Quebec. My first language is English.

And...full bilingualism....has... given me.....absolutely.....nothing........

The whole subject is a crock, 90% of the people I have worked with are uni lingual English, and they have done very well thank you very much.

It's a non issue.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”