Captain/Training Captain Pay?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

zipper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Captain/Training Captain Pay?

Post by zipper »

Hi All,

I've got 5000 TT with 1000 on the DHC-8-100. I've also got my ATPL and an instructional background. I'm wondering how long to upgrade to Captain and what my pay would top out at (I've looked at the salary grids on this site, but I don't understand the whole "Cap" thing). Also, how long to get to training Captain, and what is the pay like?
---------- ADS -----------

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Captain/Training Captain Pay?

Post by FL007 »

zipper wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 am Hi All,

I've got 5000 TT with 1000 on the DHC-8-100. I've also got my ATPL and an instructional background. I'm wondering how long to upgrade to Captain and what my pay would top out at (I've looked at the salary grids on this site, but I don't understand the whole "Cap" thing). Also, how long to get to training Captain, and what is the pay like?
We'll you'd be lowest seniority at your time of hire and from what I understand every position is seniority based.

I think the current upgrade time is 1-2 years unless someone can correct me?

Your time doesn't differentiate you from a 1500hr atpl though at jazz, just an FYI.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Zipper, while I agree that your 5000 hours won’t jump qualified(ATPL) Pilots senior to you, it will help get into a training position.
A training Capatain position requires you to have completed at least one recurrent ride, I could be wrong but pretty sure about that. However, you don’t need to be a captain to be a training pilot which is the best deal for new hires, you go to top of the FO pay scale plus 5% of the top captain payscale. The training department interviews and select pilots based on qualifications not seniority, a good training record and a background in training will give you an edge for sure.
The cap is just that, a cap on the scale if you fly the classic Dash, it was put in place during the last contract when they contemplated the classic airline. The classic airline was going to consist of all the Dash 8 100 and 300s on a separate OC with separate employee groups except the pilots, in the end all other employee groups played ball and the separate OC was shelved but the cap remained as per our agreement.
If you’re thinking Jazz long term you would need to bid off the Dash to get above the cap.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

Thanks mbav8r!

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

mbav8r wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 am Zipper, while I agree that your 5000 hours won’t jump qualified(ATPL) Pilots senior to you, it will help get into a training position.
A training Capatain position requires you to have completed at least one recurrent ride, I could be wrong but pretty sure about that. However, you don’t need to be a captain to be a training pilot which is the best deal for new hires, you go to top of the FO pay scale plus 5% of the top captain payscale. The training department interviews and select pilots based on qualifications not seniority, a good training record and a background in training will give you an edge for sure.
The cap is just that, a cap on the scale if you fly the classic Dash, it was put in place during the last contract when they contemplated the classic airline. The classic airline was going to consist of all the Dash 8 100 and 300s on a separate OC with separate employee groups except the pilots, in the end all other employee groups played ball and the separate OC was shelved but the cap remained as per our agreement.
If you’re thinking Jazz long term you would need to bid off the Dash to get above the cap.
From what I understand the cap is still in the contract but it is not in effect because the classic airline never happened. I fly the classic and that's the answer I get from anyone I ask

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

FL007 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 am
I think the current upgrade time is 1-2 years unless someone can correct me?
Friend of mine got his upgrade a year to the day of being hired.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I'd have to say if you've been hired in the last few months I would expect a slightly longer upgrade time than what's been experienced over the past 2-3 years. The hiring at AC has slowed down in regards to Jazz pilots and currently AC has gone on summer break for the GS. I'd expect upgrades to slowly creep back to the 2-3 year mark all depending on what happens in this coming Aug bid and what happens in the fall with AC if they pick their numbers back up from Jazz.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”