Jazz Pilot Pool

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flybyyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Pilot Pool

Post by flybyyou »

when exactly is the November Ground school?
---------- ADS -----------

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Probably November 5.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

It's been a long time I didn't see a classic spot on the GS. Is there still Dh8 bidding available, or are we heading to only have CRJ and Q4 ?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Babar350 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:20 pm It's been a long time I didn't see a classic spot on the GS. Is there still Dh8 bidding available, or are we heading to only have CRJ and Q4 ?
The classic is over staffed. I think 15 FO reserve lines in YYC.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Calls going for a Jan 7 GS now

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 pm Calls going for a Jan 7 GS now

...waiting :S

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:48 pm
Babar350 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:20 pm It's been a long time I didn't see a classic spot on the GS. Is there still Dh8 bidding available, or are we heading to only have CRJ and Q4 ?
This seemed inaccurate, I'm told there's 3 and that 15 would be more than half the FO roster in YYC.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

Reserve lines for Nov
VR 8 =11
VR Q = 4
YC 8 = 6
YC Q = 11

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Captain X wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:47 am Reserve lines for Nov
VR 8 =11
VR Q = 4
YC 8 = 6
YC Q = 11
Do you have the reserve lines for YYZ and YUL for the RJ and Q4 also ?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Kaykay wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:27 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:48 pm
This seemed inaccurate, I'm told there's 3 and that 15 would be more than half the FO roster in YYC.
I was mistaken. Was thinking of YVR.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Who got the call for Jan 7 gs? Is the dec 3 full? Asking the questions for those who actually know. Thanks so much for the heads up guys

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

A buddy of mine did. No idea what the status of the 3 dec GS is.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Nov tends to be a slow month and same with the winter for the Dash 8 as well as Jazz. Being over staffed on the 8 hasn’t helped. 14 captains, 6 FO on rsv in YYC with 100h of time Bank offered in Nov.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Jazz is completing the life extension program on the Dash 8-300 fleet as we speak. I would expect to see the DH8 in Jazz colours until at least 2025 if not beyond hopefully.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am Jazz is completing the life extension program on the Dash 8-300 fleet as we speak. I would expect to see the DH8 in Jazz colours until at least 2025 if not beyond hopefully.
Well ”eff” that, in order to get my propeller fix I am gonna book all my travel with Encore not on those leaky/creaky elderly bug- smashers.
:wink: :wink:

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Old fella wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am Jazz is completing the life extension program on the Dash 8-300 fleet as we speak. I would expect to see the DH8 in Jazz colours until at least 2025 if not beyond hopefully.
Well ”eff” that, in order to get my propeller fix I am gonna book all my travel with Encore not on those leaky/creaky elderly bug- smashers.
Hey now be gentle with the old steady girl, 70,000+ landings by horrible pilots like myself and they're still kicking and working well! Tried and true Canadian engineering! I do love DH8, it was a rough start and she didn't like me and I her, but we found some common ground.

P.S. she leaks to let you know her heart is still pumping.....when it stops leaking....then you gotta watch out! Also well see if the Q400 is as tough when she's 70,000+ landing in!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

KenoraPilot wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 pm
Old fella wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:41 pm
Hey now be gentle with the old steady girl, 70,000+ landings by horrible pilots like myself and they're still kicking and working well! Tried and true Canadian engineering! I do love DH8, it was a rough start and she didn't like me and I her, but we found some common ground.

P.S. she leaks to let you know her heart is still pumping.....when it stops leaking....then you gotta watch out! Also well see if the Q400 is as tough when she's 70,000+ landing in!
Awww.... how sweet, you convinced me to stand in the lineup at the Jazz counter to hear the proud heartbeat of the ole ‘300 smasher. Glad to hear you and the old girl found common ground, speaks highly of your deep respect of things old, like dealing with a Mother-in- law: kid gloves required. Brings back memories of the 70’s era BE 90/100/200 that I blasted around in , not to mention some of my horrible treatment of those old birds. Those were the days.

Happy flying with her and be gentle heading into YYT when the “ gales of November come slashing “ never know hip replacements on the old girl isn’t easy. Have a sip at Christians on George Street, fine spot.

:drinkers:

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot :) You're so kind toward the Dash Trash. Good on you for having a positive outlook on it. ;) I did not like Dash 8 and I'm glad I'm not on it anymore. It may have been a technological "marvel" at one point in the 1600s, sorry I mean the 80s, but it has long outlived its welcome (in my opinion).

To this day, I'm surprised to see it in AC colors. In the age of the 787s, A220s, A350s and glass cockpit modern turboprop (ATR42/72-600 and Q400) it's amazing that our national carrier considers this aircraft "worthy" of the product they are trying to offer. I remember having a guy one time driven by a BMW limo at YYZ from an international flight and transferring to a Dash 8-100 going to I think... Windsor? or London? I can't remember. It was when we used to park at the far gates and then bused to the main terminal. Regardless, the look on his face was priceless. He mentioned to the F/A. "Well this is a bit different than the pod I had coming here from Frankfurt". He was a Super Elite, or whatever "VIP" term these high paying customers have. I was a little embarrassed I'm not going to lie. Even I thought this man deserved better, not some worn out Dash 8-100 with bins that barely close and a lav that smells worse than my uncle Helmut's outhouse in Oberstaufen.

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

HansDietrich wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:56 am KenoraPilot :) You're so kind toward the Dash Trash. Good on you for having a positive outlook on it. ;) I did not like Dash 8 and I'm glad I'm not on it anymore. It may have been a technological "marvel" at one point in the 1600s, sorry I mean the 80s, but it has long outlived its welcome (in my opinion).

To this day, I'm surprised to see it in AC colors. In the age of the 787s, A220s, A350s and glass cockpit modern turboprop (ATR42/72-600 and Q400) it's amazing that our national carrier considers this aircraft "worthy" of the product they are trying to offer. I remember having a guy one time driven by a BMW limo at YYZ from an international flight and transferring to a Dash 8-100 going to I think... Windsor? or London? I can't remember. It was when we used to park at the far gates and then bused to the main terminal. Regardless, the look on his face was priceless. He mentioned to the F/A. "Well this is a bit different than the pod I had coming here from Frankfurt". He was a Super Elite, or whatever "VIP" term these high paying customers have. I was a little embarrassed I'm not going to lie. Even I thought this man deserved better, not some worn out Dash 8-100 with bins that barely close and a lav that smells worse than my uncle Helmut's outhouse in Oberstaufen.
Hans life is all about outlook, which is why I keep a positive one. That way I remain happy every day at work, home and in life in general. Lifes happiness is 90% perspective IMO.

So I agree the DH8 is a little old especially the interior which should have received a much better upgrade in the "life extension program". However, in your opinion......what would you replace the DH8 with? Especially on short and low pax routes like Windsor, Sarnia, London, North Bay, Timmons, GP, Smithers, Terrace, Sandspit? CRJ900? Q400? Does that make financial sense, flying a Q400 or CRJ900 around with 10-40 pax?
What is your solution?

P.S. What are you flying now? I am happy for you that you've upgrade your life as well as your aircraft. You deserve to be happy and honestly if you're not happy flying the DH8 I don't want you flying beside me bringing me down every day. Just my opinion. I love that most guys who are on the DH8 actually enjoy it and make the pairings go easier when every one is enjoying themselves.

Cheers & glad to see you've found happiness!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Kenora. All tongue in cheek(from me) commentary and speaking as a well seasoned traveller mostly on the East side, I would much, much rather be in a DHC8-100/200/200 Q4 than a BE1900 by a long shot. I speak strictly from a pax comfort prospective as those 1900s are terrible. One miserable memorable trip years back YDF-YYT sealed it for me, very rough,cabin freezing, couldn’t take a piss, full load, white knuckle pax I observed, couple of small kids crying one tossed up her cookies. Followed by a half hour hold at YYT, memorable landing - that I understand going in there that evening. Seriously some people were really scared. I don’t know why Air Canada has itself attached to those things even a 100 series Dash is superior. But whatever...........

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”