PML Portal

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: PML Portal

Post by KenoraPilot »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:58 pm
AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:35 am
Tap wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pm Is it all bad news for B scale? Doesn’t sound like there’s a PML, low wages, and slower upgrades with the LOA?
I think AVCan readers need to remember most people on here that talk about the current PML not working are either not at Express or didn't make it through the process. One would have to assume they were never going to make it to AC regardless of the entry point. The voices missing from the site are all those Sky, Jazz and GGN drivers that are now at AC.

I can't comment on OTS vs PML numbers this year as I haven't looked in a while but from an interview perspective, the PML is the only path with a guarantee. Yes, the bad part of that is they end up having to interview people they know they are not going to hire and would not have interviewed if that person applied OTS. For sure WJ has been a great way into AC lately and I would be surprised if that's not the 2018 winner in numbers.
What is the guarantee you’re claiming? I’ve been at Jazz for 3 years, have had no interview, and have had no communication on when to expect one. The guaranteed interview seems to be something created by hopeful candidates, but never anything I’ve ever heard Jazz or Air Canada commit to.
I think he means its the guarantee to have the possibility maybe occasionally if the stars align in the proper zodiac that you might get an interview. But common when has anything ever been a "guarantee" in aviation? I have yet to see anything that comes close lol
---------- ADS -----------

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:27 pm
AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:35 am

I think AVCan readers need to remember most people on here that talk about the current PML not working are either not at Express or didn't make it through the process. One would have to assume they were never going to make it to AC regardless of the entry point. The voices missing from the site are all those Sky, Jazz and GGN drivers that are now at AC.

I can't comment on OTS vs PML numbers this year as I haven't looked in a while but from an interview perspective, the PML is the only path with a guarantee. Yes, the bad part of that is they end up having to interview people they know they are not going to hire and would not have interviewed if that person applied OTS. For sure WJ has been a great way into AC lately and I would be surprised if that's not the 2018 winner in numbers.
What is the guarantee you’re claiming? I’ve been at Jazz for 3 years, have had no interview, and have had no communication on when to expect one. The guaranteed interview seems to be something created by hopeful candidates, but never anything I’ve ever heard Jazz or Air Canada commit to.
I think he means its the guarantee to have the possibility maybe occasionally if the stars align in the proper zodiac that you might get an interview. But common when has anything ever been a "guarantee" in aviation? I have yet to see anything that comes close lol
That’s exactly my point. There is no guarantee of an interview if you go through express. Express may be the best route for people, or a dead end. I feel like the express route is still advertised as a “guarantee” of some kind, and I think it’s important that people understand it simply isn’t that when they apply here.

For me personally, Jazz is the best thing to have happened to me and I can’t think of a job I’d enjoy more. The express route is what you make of it, just be aware of what you are applying to.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

PositiveRate27 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:19 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:27 pm

That’s exactly my point. There is no guarantee of an interview if you go through express. Express may be the best route for people, or a dead end. I feel like the express route is still advertised as a “guarantee” of some kind, and I think it’s important that people understand it simply isn’t that when they apply here.

For me personally, Jazz is the best thing to have happened to me and I can’t think of a job I’d enjoy more. The express route is what you make of it, just be aware of what you are applying to.
I could not agree more!!!

citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citizenbanana »

I don't think anyone gets a guaranteed interview after PML 2..throw your name in the portal and see what happens. AC claims its still the best way to get in. In my opinion there is a very long line up of GGN SKY and B scale jazz pilots your going to have to fight with for a shot at AC through the portal.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

citizenbanana wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 am I don't think anyone gets a guaranteed interview after PML 2..throw your name in the portal and see what happens. AC claims its still the best way to get in. In my opinion there is a very long line up of GGN SKY and B scale jazz pilots your going to have to fight with for a shot at AC through the portal.
Fight with? Unlikely. Lots of us B scalers that have zero interest or have turned AC down already (myself included).

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Rowdy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:24 pm
citizenbanana wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 am I don't think anyone gets a guaranteed interview after PML 2..throw your name in the portal and see what happens. AC claims its still the best way to get in. In my opinion there is a very long line up of GGN SKY and B scale jazz pilots your going to have to fight with for a shot at AC through the portal.
Fight with? Unlikely. Lots of us B scalers that have zero interest or have turned AC down already (myself included).
Ditto, I'm not going to AC. Jazz for life lol Good luck to all that are going though!

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

KenoraPilot wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:08 pm
Ditto, I'm not going to AC. Jazz for life lol Good luck to all that are going though!
Sure hope that works out for you. Probably better to work for the payer. Not the payee.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Just wondering why you'd turn down AC?

citizenbanana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by citizenbanana »

Seeing as this is about a PML portal and nothing to do with your decision to stay at Jazz Rowdy. There's no need to get all defensive about your decision to stay.

Don't kid yourself, there is still a long list of people in line for the mothership from express.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

TheStig wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 am
For myself its all about life style

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

citizenbanana wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:37 am Seeing as this is about a PML portal and nothing to do with your decision to stay at Jazz Rowdy. There's no need to get all defensive about your decision to stay.

Don't kid yourself, there is still a long list of people in line for the mothership from express.
I'm not defensive at all. I just find it funny when someone says something ridiculous like there's a fight to get to AC. Maybe I'm just tired of the constant threads about the PML, a portal, all the whining about pfo's and other carriers pilots being hired instead of express ones etc etc.

If it's about the PML to AIR CANADA, perhaps it's better in the AC forum :mrgreen:
TheStig wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:36 am
Lifestyle, progression and the pay cut. Just like KP. Its all about lifestyle. Even if hired tomorrow, I'd never be a wide body skip in YVR and thus never make the big bucks that would make ruining my next few years worth it. My newborn son is way more interesting than an embraer or 320.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Rowdy wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 pm
Lifestyle, progression and the pay cut. Just like KP. Its all about lifestyle. Even if hired tomorrow, I'd never be a wide body skip in YVR and thus never make the big bucks that would make ruining my next few years worth it. My newborn son is way more interesting than an embraer or 320.
After talking with many former Jazz pilots who are at AC, that's a fairly unique opinion, I've met one who wished they'd stayed. Given your junior position at Jazz the quality of life wouldn't be that different then that of junior narrow body First Officer at AC. Lifestyle focused pilots in YVR at AC tend to bid RP positions that usually result in 9-12 days worked per month.

Progression at AC has been much quicker at AC than Jazz since the last of the PML pilot joined, a pilot hired last September would be around 55% in the right seat of the 320 in YVR, 40% as a 737 FO, 65% as a 787 RP although none of those positions would pay over $100,000 year for at least 4 years. Junior Captains positions on the A320 in YVR were just awarded to pilots hired in 2013. Progression in YUL and YYZ has been faster. Lots of options and everyone decides their own balance between lifestyle and pay, in a way similar to what pilots who don't come to AC choose to do. I'd like my contribution to this forum to be a source of insight into what the job actually entails and what is rumour for those pilots.

Of coarse, everyone is entitled to make their own choice and I hope that you continue to be content with yours, having a young family is a huge financial burden on AC's 4 years of low pay, but I'd hate for misinformation about life at AC be ruinous to be a deterrent for pilots at Jazz to following through with the portal application.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

If you're a Bscaler and under 35, your be absolutely batshit insane to turn down mainline AC, the only exception being that if you were to live and work in YYC. Please think long term 20+ years ahead...

You're locked in a disgusting contract until 2025 and you have no idea how the fleet will look like after that. Jazz leases almost everything... Stroke of a pen post 2025, a lot could be reallocated to another skyregional type company. What if hard times/recession comes around during renegotiation ? More cuts on a already disgraceful payscale? AC will always be there for better or worst... They'll get their govt bailouts if things get tough and we already witness a decrease of regional flying and expansion of mainline.

Yeah the money sucks year 1-2 on AC no doubt but it's still 40% more take home than a year 1-2 Jazz FO. By year 5 at AC you'll make way more than you'd ever make left seat at Jazz.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

daedalusx wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am If you're a Bscaler and under 35, your be absolutely batshit insane to turn down mainline AC, the only exception being that if you were to live and work in YYC. Please think long term 20+ years ahead...

You're locked in a disgusting contract until 2025 and you have no idea how the fleet will look like after that. Jazz leases almost everything... Stroke of a pen post 2025, a lot could be reallocated to another skyregional type company. What if hard times/recession comes around during renegotiation ? More cuts on a already disgraceful payscale? AC will always be there for better or worst... They'll get their govt bailouts if things get tough and we already witness a decrease of regional flying and expansion of mainline.

Yeah the money sucks year 1-2 on AC no doubt but it's still 40% more take home than a year 1-2 Jazz FO. By year 5 at AC you'll make way more than you'd ever make left seat at Jazz.
I’m close to retirement at Jazz so I didn’t go to AC. I agree the the above post although I’d go as far as to say anyone under 45 is crazy not to go

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

av8ts wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:54 am
daedalusx wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am If you're a Bscaler and under 35, your be absolutely batshit insane to turn down mainline AC, the only exception being that if you were to live and work in YYC. Please think long term 20+ years ahead...

I’m close to retirement at Jazz so I didn’t go to AC. I agree the the above post although I’d go as far as to say anyone under 45 is crazy not to go
I wouldn’t go quite that far. I’m slightly under 45 but do not desire to lose my vacation, DB pension, left seat, do any long haul flying or back on reserve. The pay cut would be over 100,000 for the first 2 years alone.

Let’s Go Brandon
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

For myself I live and luckily work in Alberta for Jazz which is uniquely situated as AC doesn't have anything in AB. The thought of commuting for the rest of my life and 4 years of crap starting pay at AC when I just had my first child?!?! Currently I don't make a ton as a Captain but its very livable in Alberta and my schedule is pretty good, lots of overnights at home and basically get the schedule I want. Money isn't the be all and end all of it for me at least. I'd rather have time at home and a schedule I can live with then having to commute to YYZ or YVR for the rest of my career for a bigger plane and more money. At the end of the day an overnight is an overnight and with a new family I am far from wanting to do International long haul stuff (RP etc). I've been flying for 14 years and Jazz is pretty great place to settle in my opinion. There is lots of work to be done on the contract but I am in it for the long haul and willing to put in the effort to fix it for myself and all the other Jazz pilots ahead and behind me. (And I am under 35)

If you live and work in YYZ you'd be pretty silly not to go to AC as its probably the best YYZ based job in Canada and you're under 35! lol.

Just my two cents :)

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Anyone on here get a call lately?

I've been told by my friends at AC who are involved in training, that they are preparing for a large influx of new hires this fall.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Large influx doesn't mean it'll come from Jazz. When you have a 705 crew that cost you as low as 115$ per block hour why would you facilitate them going to big red ? Way more economical to poach from OTS. When I see it, I'll believe it but I remain highly sceptical. AC doesn't even promise you an interview anymore, the whole 80% express is also gone and both companies are completely silent and they've even stopped promoting the PML at the recent interviews. We all took a gamble and we all hope it'll pay eventually but I wouldn't stick around another 1-2 years only to find out it's still 75% WJ/Encore hires per GS.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I wonder how many Jazz pilots are leaving to other airlines, corporate and 703/704. I myself am a bit disheartened by the slow upgrades and lack of movement to AC. I am enjoying my time at Jazz but when cost of living and feeding your family is double your salary you start asking questions...

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

bearitus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:52 pm I wonder how many Jazz pilots are leaving to other airlines, corporate and 703/704. I myself am a bit disheartened by the slow upgrades and lack of movement to AC. I am enjoying my time at Jazz but when cost of living and feeding your family is double your salary you start asking questions...

This.

There are a lot of people leaving and I know a few who have been exploring other options.

There's going to come a time where AC is going to have to realize they're losing people either way. May as well bring them on as they are familiar with the operation and have already been invested in with the training at Jazz. The carrot can only go so far and a lot of people are not happy to see so many WJ hires as of late while more or less completely ignoring Jazz.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”