Next Step, AC or WJ Mainline?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Next Step, AC or WJ Mainline?

Post by Transition9er2 »

Saw WJ Mainline’s new posting for FO requirements and it’s really caught my attention.

What are Jazz folks thinking for next steps in 2019 - stay at Jazz, flow to AC or try their hand at WJ mainline with the ATPL and 1500 hr requirement?

A WJ move could be a solid option for those who’re tired of the AC/Jazz rigamarole... an ALPA connection and no more aircraft grooming requirements. Something to think about.
---------- ADS -----------

yvrpilot82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Next Step, AC or WJ Mainline?

Post by yvrpilot82 »

Stick it out and keep trying for AC.
Pay cheques for year 1 at WJ are around $1200 after tax if you invest into the ESP. With per-diems, Reserve blocks are also coming soon so that pay cheque could shrink rapidly.
Also, WJ is in the midst of downsizing and sending 30 tails over to Swoop. Retirements aren't yet a factor. The current upgrade time is in excess of 10 years, what will that increase to? No one knows. But you'll likely be looking at Swoop if you ever desire the left seat. That left seat pays the same as a Year 4 WJ FO.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

What about just staying at Jazz?

bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

I'm in a similar boat in terms of looking to move on in 2019. The options for me are AC, Sunwing and Transat or leave Canada. Unfortunately I don't think any AC express airline is a career place anymore.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:37 pm What about just staying at Jazz?
As an ex-Jazz pilot who moved on, I can appreciate his sentiment to move on. The is little about being a B scaler that makes you feel appreciated and valued as a long term employee.
1 of many examples youre part of a crew of 4 on a deadhead, maybe you’re taking a Jazz CRJ from YYC-YWG. You hear the other 3 crew members names get called to come get their upgrade. You get on board to see them occupying 3/10 J class seats. Hear one FA say to the other “oh he must be a new contract guy”, oh and you’re the Captain because your FO was an old contract guy who never got his A’s but is clearly more valuable to the company.
Another example I experienced on many occasions as an FO, flying with skippers going on and on about how shitty the pay is for the new guys and the industry needs to change blah blah blah. Yeah no shit I saw my paycheque and you’re the one who voted for it not me. (I’m aware nobody forced me to accept it, but with the way this industry works in Canada you really have no choice)

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

I'd rather stay at Jazz for the rest of my career than go to WJ. And I really don't know a lot if any who would leave for WJ.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

bearitus wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm I'm in a similar boat in terms of looking to move on in 2019. The options for me are AC, Sunwing and Transat or leave Canada. Unfortunately I don't think any AC express airline is a career place anymore.
Jazz has a better contract than AC for working conditions, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I’m happy here. My schedule could be better but the benefits, pension, perdiems and training are top notch.

Let’s Go Brandon
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 pm I’m happy here. My schedule could be better but the benefits, pension, perdiems and training are top notch.
Agreed %100. And hopefully by the end of the month we'll know more about this "fleet plan and long term vision" they've been negotiating about. Maybe it will make it even more attractive to stay here for good.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I plan to be a Jazz lifer. Currently life is pretty good, pay is alright (captain) and the schedule isn't horrible (sitting alright for the time being). The benefits are amazing and the vacation time annually is pretty sweet. For me its all about lifestyle and as an Albertan commuting for the rest of my life to YYZ or YVR is not in my plan. That being said this is aviation and anything can happen. Hoping that this current round of negotiations with the company about long term plans and fleet renewal will make it more attractive. I do hope those who wish to move on will and I think they will be happy about it. But for this mid-thirties full family Albertan, Jazz is the place to be for me. Here's hoping it stays that was for another 25years of my career......I really don't want to do another resume :p

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm I plan to be a Jazz lifer. Currently life is pretty good, pay is alright (captain) and the schedule isn't horrible (sitting alright for the time being). The benefits are amazing and the vacation time annually is pretty sweet. For me its all about lifestyle and as an Albertan commuting for the rest of my life to YYZ or YVR is not in my plan. That being said this is aviation and anything can happen. Hoping that this current round of negotiations with the company about long term plans and fleet renewal will make it more attractive. I do hope those who wish to move on will and I think they will be happy about it. But for this mid-thirties full family Albertan, Jazz is the place to be for me. Here's hoping it stays that was for another 25years of my career......I really don't want to do another resume :p
Just curious, whats the top of the scale yearly income at Jazz these days? Not trying to fling anything around - I'm well aware that money isn't everything.
Thanks.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Boreas wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:06 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm I plan to be a Jazz lifer. Currently life is pretty good, pay is alright (captain) and the schedule isn't horrible (sitting alright for the time being). The benefits are amazing and the vacation time annually is pretty sweet. For me its all about lifestyle and as an Albertan commuting for the rest of my life to YYZ or YVR is not in my plan. That being said this is aviation and anything can happen. Hoping that this current round of negotiations with the company about long term plans and fleet renewal will make it more attractive. I do hope those who wish to move on will and I think they will be happy about it. But for this mid-thirties full family Albertan, Jazz is the place to be for me. Here's hoping it stays that was for another 25years of my career......I really don't want to do another resume :p
Just curious, whats the top of the scale yearly income at Jazz these days? Not trying to fling anything around - I'm well aware that money isn't everything.
Thanks.
Don't quote me as I don't think i've looked at in a while......I believe its around $130/h ish

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

What does jazz base out of yyc these days?

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

CRJ
Dash 8 300
Q400

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm The benefits are amazing and the vacation time annually is pretty sweet
Honest question since I do read this statement quite a bit on this forum. What makes the benefits so "sweet" compared to other regions (sky, porter etc.) I would figure they would be roughly equivalent wouldn't they?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:11 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:05 pm The benefits are amazing and the vacation time annually is pretty sweet
Honest question since I do read this statement quite a bit on this forum. What makes the benefits so "sweet" compared to other regions (sky, porter etc.) I would figure they would be roughly equivalent wouldn't they?
You would think so.. but our working conditions are hard to beat too.. Our reserve rules are solid. Scheduling is good. The pay protections are right up there. I could go through and list them, but I'm sure some avcanadian would just then pick it all apart in some negative light.

The medical plan is fantastic. The dental covers more than most I've seen and we have many programs as well as short and long term disability. I myself am currently on a reduced block for parenting(Two years). Allowing me, being quite junior as a captain, considerably more scheduling flexibility. It also resets the overtime triggers, allowing me to work less days and make the same amount. There are plenty of other gems in our contract.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Fair enough. Not that I am in the regional application range yet, but it's good to get all the info I can for the next step in a year or two. Thanks Rowdy

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”