17 year TA?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: 17 year TA?

Post by rudder »

The entire AC fleet/commercial strategy is to lower CASM on all routes deploying appropriate gauge/frequency and next gen aircraft with new engine technologies or existing aircraft with densified seating.

That applies from the long haul 400+ seat markets all the way down to the Express 75 seat markets.

So AC will use a combination of Rouge/A220’s/Express next gen 76 seat jets to lower CASM on existing and new routes in the North American market where the max gauge is 145 seats.

Also affecting these fleet deployment decisions will be the commercial choice to offer J class inventory to match demand on a city pair.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Rowdy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm It was stated many times that the A220 and MAX wouldn't be used as regional aircraft, but as supplements to the retirements of the 767's and older A320s.

I bet if this passes, the RRA won't happen. Anyone want to wager an adult beverage on that? We cost AC pennies to operate regionally in comparison to their pilots. Even with the four year flat pay scheme. We're still cheaper. They may up gauge some routes when we simply cant staff them though. Which may be their contingency plan for the apparent pilot shortage.

I'm curious either way to see how this is going to pan out. I'm fairly certain a vote either direction will be used against us.
I’ll take that bet Rowdy, what AC says to pacify groups and actually does are two different things, if language exist in the contract to use those aircraft as RRA, then you bet it will happen, I hope I don’t have to collect as that means we turned this down and have to see what’s behind door number two.
As for us costing pennies, I suggest you do some math, CASM is cost per available seat mile, in case you weren’t aware. I know, I know that was condescending as hell but my point is we are not pennies on the dollar, in fact in some cases we are more expensive.
Just take our wages and divide them by the average seats, when compared to mainline in some instances we are more expensive or right up there, I guarantee our CASM is right there with Rouge. We are already an expensive group and Jazz has to make a little profit, not to mention AC quietly made an announcement about some routes being repatriated, so thinking we could somehow turn this down and get more is quite naive.
All this talk about shortages and they need us, etc, etc. They don’t, they have another airline who could ramp up over the next six years.
Imagine plan b is Calin walks across the street to SR, he says no pilot on property will take a pay cut but here is the contract Jazz pilots turned down, all you have to do is say yes and it’s yours, what do you think they will say? Seriously ponder that, while you decide whether or not to gamble your job away, that’s what it is, a gamble.
As for Chorus, they have diversified the business and I’m sure would be quite happy to lease the airplanes to SR, stock would dip a little but eventually bounce back as they expand that business, Voyageur could expand with whatever airplanes Chorus can’t sell and we all get to start over at the bottom of some list.
Maybe we get to follow the work, maybe a new government repeals the legislation that says this, maybe 2025 we are just recovering from a recession, maybe the “No’s” are right, there is a little more, what’s your risk tolerance at this point in your career?
The other thing is, a deal doesn’t have to happen today, so maybe plan b is status quo until 2025, maybe the landscape is completely different in either direction, maybe a real shortage or maybe not, gains now could be a good thing if things go the other direction.
I don’t understand where this mentality of the economy will keep on trucking without some type of hiccup comes from, that possibility and the fact in 5 years the retirements will slow down again, that should cause one to reevaluate your sense of leverage.
Good luck in two days, I for one am hoping that the no’s are just the vocal minority and they don’t get to find out what plan b is, I like plan a.

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am
Rowdy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm It was stated many times that the A220 and MAX wouldn't be used as regional aircraft, but as supplements to the retirements of the 767's and older A320s.

I bet if this passes, the RRA won't happen. Anyone want to wager an adult beverage on that? We cost AC pennies to operate regionally in comparison to their pilots. Even with the four year flat pay scheme. We're still cheaper. They may up gauge some routes when we simply cant staff them though. Which may be their contingency plan for the apparent pilot shortage.

I'm curious either way to see how this is going to pan out. I'm fairly certain a vote either direction will be used against us.
I’ll take that bet Rowdy, what AC says to pacify groups and actually does are two different things, if language exist in the contract to use those aircraft as RRA, then you bet it will happen, I hope I don’t have to collect as that means we turned this down and have to see what’s behind door number two.
As for us costing pennies, I suggest you do some math, CASM is cost per available seat mile, in case you weren’t aware. I know, I know that was condescending as hell but my point is we are not pennies on the dollar, in fact in some cases we are more expensive.
Just take our wages and divide them by the average seats, when compared to mainline in some instances we are more expensive or right up there, I guarantee our CASM is right there with Rouge. We are already an expensive group and Jazz has to make a little profit, not to mention AC quietly made an announcement about some routes being repatriated, so thinking we could somehow turn this down and get more is quite naive.
All this talk about shortages and they need us, etc, etc. They don’t, they have another airline who could ramp up over the next six years.
Imagine plan b is Calin walks across the street to SR, he says no pilot on property will take a pay cut but here is the contract Jazz pilots turned down, all you have to do is say yes and it’s yours, what do you think they will say? Seriously ponder that, while you decide whether or not to gamble your job away, that’s what it is, a gamble.
As for Chorus, they have diversified the business and I’m sure would be quite happy to lease the airplanes to SR, stock would dip a little but eventually bounce back as they expand that business, Voyageur could expand with whatever airplanes Chorus can’t sell and we all get to start over at the bottom of some list.
Maybe we get to follow the work, maybe a new government repeals the legislation that says this, maybe 2025 we are just recovering from a recession, maybe the “No’s” are right, there is a little more, what’s your risk tolerance at this point in your career?
The other thing is, a deal doesn’t have to happen today, so maybe plan b is status quo until 2025, maybe the landscape is completely different in either direction, maybe a real shortage or maybe not, gains now could be a good thing if things go the other direction.
I don’t understand where this mentality of the economy will keep on trucking without some type of hiccup comes from, that possibility and the fact in 5 years the retirements will slow down again, that should cause one to reevaluate your sense of leverage.
Good luck in two days, I for one am hoping that the no’s are just the vocal minority and they don’t get to find out what plan b is, I like plan a.
+1

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Under the terms of the tentative ammended CPA with AC, CHR will make very little off the AC CPA. The vast majority of the revenue and almost all of the profit will be derived from Chorus Aviation Capital (leasing).

Chorus does not care who they lease to for the Express fleet. All they care is that the portfolio of leased Express aircraft grows.

Leased aircraft also are not represented by unions. Just saying....

LtDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LtDan »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:58 am

+1

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Which pilot groups in Canada have de facto employment guarantees until 2035 notwithstanding a force majeure event?

Air Canada - probably

WestJet - probably

Air Transat - possibly/probably

Sunwing - possibly/probably

CargoJet - possibly

Morningstar - possibly

Porter - possibly

First Air/CDN North - possibly

Bearskin/Calmair - possibly

Jazz - probably *(assuming TA is ratified)

Georgian - no *(unless moving to AC or Jazz)

Skyregional - no

Obviously if a pilot group owns perpetual and exclusive rights to the work it performs in a consistently positively performing segment of the air industry has the least risk. Any pilot group who’s employment is predicated on a term services contract is periodically exposed to employment risk.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

rudder wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm Which pilot groups in Canada have de facto employment guarantees until 2035 notwithstanding a force majeure event?

Air Canada - probably

WestJet - probably

CargoJet - possibly

Morningstar - possibly

Porter - possibly

Skyregional - no

Obviously if a pilot group owns perpetual and exclusive rights to the work it performs in a consistently positively performing segment of the air industry has the least risk. Any pilot group who’s employment is predicated on a term services contract is periodically exposed to employment risk.
The only guarantees in aviation are, there are no guarantees.
You can’t just make up facts and statements to justify being a sellout.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm
rudder wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm Which pilot groups in Canada have de facto employment guarantees until 2035 notwithstanding a force majeure event?

Air Canada - probably

WestJet - probably

CargoJet - possibly

Morningstar - possibly

Porter - possibly

Skyregional - no

He's not wrong. All those airlines own their flying. And unless there is a force majeure event or they go bankrupt, they'll all still be around in 2035.

For anyone to think that locking in a contract for a contract carrier until 2035 means you won't have opportunities to make improvements is naive. Jazz is just over 3 years into a locked cost neutral 10 year agreement and look at what is happening.

The second an actual pilot shortage manifests? Opener. Sky Regional maybe coming on board? Opener. Company wants to bypass pay people who are slated to leave for AC? Opener. New type on property (2026??)? Opener. Any time the company needs something, if anyone thinks being locked in is a BAD thing, you need to give your head a shake. What's that company? You want to give new hires raises? Well if we let you do that, we want raises for everyone. Oh what's that, you don't want to? Ok see ya in 15 years, and good luck hiring anyone in the mean time.

Nothing is certain, but just shouting from the rooftops "VOTE NO THIS DEAL IS TERRIBLE" without any alternate ideas is dumb. If you are informed and vote no because you can't get around something in it like the GGN integration or 17 years that's great. It's your right. But to vote no in *hope* there might be more, which I doubt there is .. is also naive.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Air Canada - probably

WestJet - probably

CargoJet - possibly

Morningstar - possibly

Porter - possibly

Skyregional - no

I know this TA as got everyone a little wound up, but no need for insults or accusations. Everyone as the right to vote the way their conscious moves them and everyones situation is different. I have an assumption a portion (looking at you yycjetdriver) of the people discussing this don't even work at Jazz.....

Last edited by KenoraPilot on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Job security is just one factor amongst many in making employment or collective agreement choices. Where it ranks in priority is up to each individual. Some pilots will pick an employer strictly for job security prospects. Others for metal. Others for $$. Others for lifestyle.

But the fact is that the pilots from Worldways, Nationair, Jetsgo, Canada3000, Skyservice, Kelowna Flightcraft, and others did not have it. For some, things worked out better after the closing of their employer. For others, not so much.

The pilots at CDN got lucky as politics forced their company in to a merger rather than a possible appointment at the bankruptcy court. It is looking like a potential good outcome for the Georgian pilots despite working for a questionable employer. The story does not usually have a happy ending.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:36 am Under the terms of the tentative ammended CPA with AC, CHR will make very little off the AC CPA. The vast majority of the revenue and almost all of the profit will be derived from Chorus Aviation Capital (leasing).

Chorus does not care who they lease to for the Express fleet. All they care is that the portfolio of leased Express aircraft grows.

Leased aircraft also are not represented by unions. Just saying....
Air Canada's equity stake is contingent on Jazz pilots ratifying the TA. I think that is telling. Air Canada does not need to prop up Chorus leasing division, nor does Air Canada require chorus to source aircraft, as is evident.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Pilots are the biggest bunch of pussies I’ve seen

Let me get this straight:

- retirements
- world wide airline growth (read about what Boeing has to say about future requirements)
- already on a 10 years contract

To lock into a contract till 2035
- with no raise. Sorry 2% is not a raise. Better hope for minimal inflation!
- new hires making less than B1900 FOs

Man it’s no wonder Canada is an international joke

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

V1Vr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:47 pm.

For anyone to think that locking in a contract for a contract carrier until 2035 means you won't have opportunities to make improvements is naive. Jazz is just over 3 years into a locked cost neutral 10 year agreement and look at what is happening.

The second an actual pilot shortage manifests? Opener. Sky Regional maybe coming on board? Opener. Company wants to bypass pay people who are slated to leave for AC? Opener. New type on property (2026??)? Opener. Any time the company needs something, if anyone thinks being locked in is a BAD thing, you need to give your head a shake. What's that company? You want to give new hires raises? Well if we let you do that, we want raises for everyone. Oh what's that, you don't want to? Ok see ya in 15 years, and good luck hiring anyone in the mean time.
If you can just reopen the contract whenever, then it's not job security. The second Air Canada thinks they can do better? Opener. Recession? Opener.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

C-GGGQ wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:48 pm
V1Vr wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:47 pm.

If you can just reopen the contract whenever, then it's not job security. The second Air Canada thinks they can do better? Opener. Recession? Opener.
That's not how it works. The contract is locked unless both parties agree to open for specific reasons. And only specific sections. If they don't agree then you revert to whatever your current agreement is. The 17 years will protect the down side. A recession will not open a contract. A bankruptcy could but that would happen regardless of whatever contract anyone has.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

flashheart wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 pm Pilots are the biggest bunch of pussies I’ve seen

Let me get this straight:

- retirements
- world wide airline growth (read about what Boeing has to say about future requirements)
- already on a 10 years contract

To lock into a contract till 2035
- with no raise. Sorry 2% is not a raise. Better hope for minimal inflation!
- new hires making less than B1900 FOs

Man it’s no wonder Canada is an international joke
No big growth yet and no retirements yet on a large scale. If that does happen there will be plenty of opportunity to make more gains. Anyone who thinks otherwise is close mind and/or just naive.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

You know what would pass in a heartbeat?

Change the terms to this:

CPA/contract to10 years from today. 2029. WITH guaranteed cost openers at 3 year intervals.
Complete removal of the B scale. Only the A scale. No ifs ands or buts. No blended bs.
Direct YOS carryover. Not the farce they have offered. Return the effective dates to our DOH, not upgrade date too.
AC guaranteeing The PML. Not the hokey 'maybe sorta kinda as we need and as our standards may apply' nonsense. Take 50% from Jazz. Guarantee it. No ifs ands or buts, by seniority, give us a guarantee WITH something that'll hold you to it. i.e.; if we don't take x,y,z we'll throw money/aircraft/slaves/infinite netflix subscriptions your way etc.
REMOVE the *asterix pertaining to US CPA flying at present rates. I'm not gonna screw over my US counterparts.
Guarantee GGN is no longer a CPA partner and that AC won't start up another one six months from now.

Bring me that deal, and I'll vote yes. Today. Tomorrow. Whenever.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

Make more gains AFTER you sign a contract?

Get this man away from his pen!!

Pilot shortage:

Boeing estimates the need for an addtional 790,000 new pilots by 2037. Almost coincided with 2035, hmmm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarc ... add215492

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

flashheart wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 pm Make more gains AFTER you sign a contract?

Get this man away from his pen!!

Pilot shortage:

Boeing estimates the need for an addtional 790,000 new pilots by 2037. Almost coincided with 2035, hmmm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisagarc ... add215492
So what, you think when a company can't find pilots they're just gonna shrug their shoulders?

You also realize Jazz is only 3 years into a ten year LOCKED NO STRIKE COST NEUTRAL contract?

Right. You can never make gains when in a locked contract, ever.

V1Vr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1Vr »

Rowdy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm You know what would pass in a heartbeat?

Change the terms to this:

CPA/contract to10 years from today. 2029. WITH guaranteed cost openers at 3 year intervals.
Complete removal of the B scale. Only the A scale. No ifs ands or buts. No blended bs.
Direct YOS carryover. Not the farce they have offered. Return the effective dates to our DOH, not upgrade date too.
AC guaranteeing The PML. Not the hokey 'maybe sorta kinda as we need and as our standards may apply' nonsense. Take 50% from Jazz. Guarantee it. No ifs ands or buts, by seniority, give us a guarantee WITH something that'll hold you to it. i.e.; if we don't take x,y,z we'll throw money/aircraft/slaves/infinite netflix subscriptions your way etc.
REMOVE the *asterix pertaining to US CPA flying at present rates. I'm not gonna screw over my US counterparts.
Guarantee GGN is no longer a CPA partner and that AC won't start up another one six months from now.

Bring me that deal, and I'll vote yes. Today. Tomorrow. Whenever.
Can I have a Ferrari with that?

Talk about greed and unrealistic expectations.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”