Ground school canceled

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Ground school canceled

Post by RegionalPilot »

Hi everyone!

Just looking for advice here.

I got the email from Jazz a while ago that I completed the process to be hired and I would be waiting in the pool. I further received another email telling me I was hired and was assigned the April 13th ground school. I gave my 2 weeks to my employer and decided to have a little "vacation" before starting my regional career.

A week after I was assigned my ground school date, I got the email saying that my training and employment were "postponed indefinitely" and "thanks for participating in the recruitment process and best of luck in the achievement of your professional goals."

That being said, my previous employer who lost most of its business can't take me back... PPC is also expired.

I just don't know what to take out of the HR email... Do I still have my place when the train will start moving again? Will I have to redo the entire recruitment process? I'm currently frozen at 1400 hrs.

My huge dilemma here is whether I take a good paying job that I was offered in a non-aviation business that is still running, or I try to find somekind of flying job to keep my resume attractive... I do not qualify for EI since I quit my job, but I can take that 2000$ / month for 4 months... I guess the question is simple: Do I really need to fly for the next 6 months for Jazz to still be interested, or I can put the flying on the back burner and cash in some good money?

Thanks for your advice!
---------- ADS -----------

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ground school canceled

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

Simple answer.
- email HR about your position and ask if you will remain in the pool. I would bet big money that you wont hear back for atleast a gear and a half about a ground school class. So dont hold your breath.
- for now you would be crazy not to take that non aviation job. So take it
- while you have that job keep looking for a flying job. And if youre lucky enough to get one finish your ATPL requirements.

Done and done.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Going to level with you, the train is going to be a while, so I’m thinking you might want a job that pays the bills to ride this out.
If you can find a flying job, good for you, the competition is going to be pretty high given 675 Jazz pilots just received notice and probably about the same at AC, in addition more than half the Sky Regional pilot, All Sunwing pilots, all Transat pilots and many smaller carriers laying off as well.
As for the recruitment process, who knows, it could be a year or longer before things ramp up again, by then I can all but guarantee you will have to start over. As for not flying during that time, you won’t be the only one in that boat, so not likely a huge problem. Good luck

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:45 pm Do I really need to fly for the next 6 months for Jazz to still be interested,
Jazz isn’t going to be taking anybody that doesn’t already have a seniority number till all 675 have had the recall. That’s not going to happen in 6 months. I will be surprised if everybody has a recall in 2 years.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

RegionalPilot wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:45 pm Hi everyone!

Just looking for advice here.

I got the email from Jazz a while ago that I completed the process to be hired and I would be waiting in the pool. I further received another email telling me I was hired and was assigned the April 13th ground school. I gave my 2 weeks to my employer and decided to have a little "vacation" before starting my regional career.

A week after I was assigned my ground school date, I got the email saying that my training and employment were "postponed indefinitely" and "thanks for participating in the recruitment process and best of luck in the achievement of your professional goals."

That being said, my previous employer who lost most of its business can't take me back... PPC is also expired.

I just don't know what to take out of the HR email... Do I still have my place when the train will start moving again? Will I have to redo the entire recruitment process? I'm currently frozen at 1400 hrs.

My huge dilemma here is whether I take a good paying job that I was offered in a non-aviation business that is still running, or I try to find somekind of flying job to keep my resume attractive... I do not qualify for EI since I quit my job, but I can take that 2000$ / month for 4 months... I guess the question is simple: Do I really need to fly for the next 6 months for Jazz to still be interested, or I can put the flying on the back burner and cash in some good money?

Thanks for your advice!
You should qualify for EI. You quit but had another job lined up but that job is now gone. Pretty sure that qualifies you for EI

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Take the good paying job...NOW!
No-one knows how this is eventually going to play out, so any job offer that you had in aviation prior to now is tenuous at best.
Take the external job, rent a 172 every week or so, and hunker down and see what happens.

Don't forget that UI is time-limited, a job - generally - is not..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

mbav8r wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:26 pm As for not flying during that time, you won’t be the only one in that boat, so not likely a huge problem. Good luck
Not so sure about that. The north is still flying a bit and will be back quick. The only difference will be a very slow season on floats all around. Then all those 703/704 drivers will be getting ahead of him since they have recent commercial experience. Plus all the instructors that will build time quick.

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Jazz is about to recall their employees with the fed wage subsidy program and tell them to stay home.

Any change those who had a ground school scheduled and canceled could jump on the payroll and get a seniority number?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:50 am Jazz is about to recall their employees with the fed wage subsidy program and tell them to stay home.

Any change those who had a ground school scheduled and canceled could jump on the payroll and get a seniority number?
They might wait till things pick up just a bit. I would give it till middle of May and they will probably make a decision on what to do with the GS. Lets hope so. This will not last forever.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:50 am Jazz is about to recall their employees with the fed wage subsidy program and tell them to stay home.

Do you really think Jazz will hire you to sit home? If you were Jazz would you do it knowing that nobody's hiring and everyone is or will be laying off pilots when the CEWS will end?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I am betting... not a chance in hell!

2021 though... it will come soon enough. Time flies when you are having fun. He said.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

I got a feeling you may be grasping at straws, you aren't alone with bad luck and timing, many of us got kicked to the curb before getting the chance to even start.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

Babar350 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:29 am If you were Jazz would you do it knowing that nobody's hiring and everyone is or will be laying off pilots when the CEWS will end?
I used to have a very good job up north, it sucks but those in the same situation as me are probably the most impacted by what is happening. In a few weeks, those 703 companies will restart with almost 100% of their operations running. Now, do you think we will be able to find a job back?
"Oh sorry, I would like to come back, but expect me to leave as soon as Jazz is giving me the call back."

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

RegionalPilot wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:15 amNow, do you think we will be able to find a job back
Unfortunately, you are right, you are in the worst situation.
Maybe the only thing you need to find out is how long will it take to take Jazz back up to what it was in November last year, then you can probably plan on a year or 2 up in north.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I read the AC quarter release report and seen CR do his address yesterday. I guess I can forget to fly for Jazz for a while now.

Hopefully there will still be some jobs up north to jump back on the saddle.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

As was mentioned, you should still qualify for EI. The application gives you the option to expand on the situation. Be descriptive, give dates, be ready to forward the correspondences from Jazz, and be ready to sit on hold and call call call. etc.

RegionalPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RegionalPilot »

I have EI. I can find a non-aviation job at the moment. But if this extends over a year, my 1000’s hours and my non-flying over that year won’t give me that regional job.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

If you turn down that really good non flying job let me know. I’ll take it!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”