YUL Base

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

YUL Base

Post by 780Pilot »

Is French a requirement to be out of YUL? Or is it just a preference if you do?
---------- ADS -----------

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: YUL Base

Post by Bajan Pilot »

No, it is not.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Certainly helpful. But not at all required for Pilots.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Kaykay wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 pm Certainly helpful. But not at all required for Pilots.
Thx to both of you. Yea thats what I would think. Preference I assume is probably given to guys with French if your looking at two guys and that's the difference.

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

780Pilot wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:14 pm
Kaykay wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 pm Certainly helpful. But not at all required for Pilots.
Thx to both of you. Yea thats what I would think. Preference I assume is probably given to guys with French if your looking at two guys and that's the difference.
No. It is not.

Language has zero impact on what base you can hold. Only seniority.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Dash.Trash wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 pm
No. It is not.

Correct. Which is also not what I was saying.

I said French is useful in a YUL base because of daily life. It doesn’t have any bearing on being awarded the base; that’s seniority only.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Kaykay wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 pm

No. It is not.

I said French is useful in a YUL base because of daily life. It doesn’t have any bearing on being awarded the base; that’s seniority only.
I've heard Montreal is way more English compared to a place like Quebec City. So there's that too. But for sure it differently helps!

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

780Pilot wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 pm

No. It is not.

I've heard Montreal is way more English compared to a place like Quebec City. So there's that too. But for sure it differently helps!
Yes it is, however you still will need French of some kind particularly if you decide to live at your base in YUL. You'll find a lot of things are much easier on yourself if you embrace it. Just some thoughts from someone who has done it for a long while. :)

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

No. It is not.

You also need French during layovers in alot of the smaller northern communities Jazz flies to out of YUL especially if you are on the Dash classic.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 am

You also need French during layovers in alot of the smaller northern communities Jazz flies to out of YUL especially if you are on the Dash classic.
Yes, +1

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 am

When I was there I downloaded Google translate on my phone and it helped a lot. You can hold your phone up to French words (i.e a menu at a restaurant) and it translates it for you. It was very helpful

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Thats pretty sad... 2 official languages in Canada you should at least be able to get by in your second one.
Holding google translate up to the menu like you are in china or something is ridiculous in your own country

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

FL-280 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 am Thats pretty sad... 2 official languages in Canada you should at least be able to get by in your second one.
Holding google translate up to the menu like you are in china or something is ridiculous in your own country
Francophone would say the same in Alberta....

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

It's sad both ways.... FR/ENG whatever, everyone should be able to get by in both anywhere in the country

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

FL-280 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:56 am Thats pretty sad... 2 official languages in Canada you should at least be able to get by in your second one.
The majority of Canadians don’t care about knowing French, it’s a dying language in Canada. It would be more beneficial to spend your time learning English/Chinese for Canadians.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

"because for ME it won't be useful"... The post was about QC. If you want to go around with blinders on in QC be my guest. You miss interacting with most people, that's all. Your loss.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:58 am
The majority of Canadians don’t care about knowing French, it’s a dying language in Canada. It would be more beneficial to spend your time learning English/Chinese for Canadians.
The thread was about a base in YUL and subsequent operations and life that goes with it. The point being made is that it is extremely beneficial to speak at least some French if you are based in Quebec because Quebec’s official language is French. The rest of the country is irrelevant to the original discussion.

The google translate option is used a lot by tourists and visitors and even that little bit of effort is widely appreciated.

If you feel a language from China is beneficial to be official in Canada then go write to your MP indicating your opinion.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I’ve flown lots in Quebec over the last 15 years to many places there. I’ve always managed to get by with pretty much zero French. I never thought about google translate. They usually have English menus at most restaurants if you ask.

Let’s Go Brandon
Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:09 pm I’ve flown lots in Quebec over the last 15 years to many places there. I’ve always managed to get by with pretty much zero French. I never thought about google translate. They usually have English menus at most restaurants if you ask.
The issue presents itself more if you relocate. Not so much if it’s just a layover and you’re ordering supper.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Lots of guys at AC (and I suspect at Jazz) that are YUL based live in Ontario and drive in.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”