Air Canada Revises the Terms of its Capacity Purchase Agreement with Chorus Aviation for Regional Flying

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mône
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Air Canada Revises the Terms of its Capacity Purchase Agreement with Chorus Aviation for Regional Flying

Post by Mône »

Nobody's flying, there is no vibe on the line. :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada Revises the Terms of its Capacity Purchase Agreement with Chorus Aviation for Regional Flying

Post by a2btrail »

ahah Correct. I mean the situation is what it is.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

739 on layoff/CEWS as of April 01st. Only operator with more pilots on layoff might be WJ/WJE.

104 will be recalled May 01st but job guarantees only last until Sept 30.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Does anyone know the rules for waiving recall at Jazz? I didn't see anything in the collective agreement about the amount of times that recall can be waived. I am one of the 104 slated to be recalled and although I want to go back I am debating if it may be smarter to stay in my current non flying job making good money until the industry starts picking back up again. Don't think I would be able to support my family on reserve FO wages for too long.

smashthedash
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by smashthedash »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:33 am Does anyone know the rules for waiving recall at Jazz? I didn't see anything in the collective agreement about the amount of times that recall can be waived. I am one of the 104 slated to be recalled and although I want to go back I am debating if it may be smarter to stay in my current non flying job making good money until the industry starts picking back up again. Don't think I would be able to support my family on reserve FO wages for too long.
You can waive the recall as long as you want until there is no junior pilots to you on the recall list. You don't lose system seniority, but you don't accrue YOS.

Last edited by smashthedash on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:33 am Does anyone know the rules for waiving recall at Jazz? I didn't see anything in the collective agreement about the amount of times that recall can be waived. I am one of the 104 slated to be recalled and although I want to go back I am debating if it may be smarter to stay in my current non flying job making good money until the industry starts picking back up again. Don't think I would be able to support my family on reserve FO wages for too long.
Unlimited. You can pass until you are the only one left on the recall list at which point you could request LOA.

Each time you pass on recall within seniority your next opportunity to return would not be until further recalls are required.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

rudder wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:44 am
Unlimited. You can pass until you are the only one left on the recall list at which point you could request LOA.

Each time you pass on recall within seniority your next opportunity to return would not be until further recalls are required.
Thanks, it may be something I consider. My thoughts are that in about a year from now things will start picking up again at Jazz so it may be a good time to go back then.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:53 am
Thanks, it may be something I consider. My thoughts are that in about a year from now things will start picking up again at Jazz so it may be a good time to go back then.
Assuming recovery for 2022, that will be built in to Bid 2021-01 and Bid 2022-01 which will both include summer 2022.

Inactive pilots do not participate in the bid. However, there should be 200-350 additional required pilots above May 01st total active pilots if the 2022 commercial plan is reasonably optimistic. That will trigger further recalls beyond the 104. Recall offers will be in order of seniority. Not sure if that will repeat monthly or be managed in some other fashion.

Pilots may be offered bases or equipment they do not want and may continue to pass until they get what they prefer.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

rudder wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 am
Assuming recovery for 2022, that will be built in to Bid 2021-01 and Bid 2022-01 which will both include summer 2022.

Inactive pilots do not participate in the bid. However, there should be 200-350 additional required pilots above May 01st total active pilots if the 2022 commercial plan is reasonably optimistic. That will trigger further recalls beyond the 104. Recall offers will be in order of seniority. Not sure if that will repeat monthly or be managed in some other fashion.

Pilots may be offered bases or equipment they do not want and may continue to pass until they get what they prefer.
Thanks, thats very helpful.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

rudder wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 am

Do you think the recalls would be before the bid later this year? or in the bid. Pls dont give me hope :prayer:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

flyingcanuck wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:49 am
Do you think the recalls would be before the bid later this year? or in the bid. Pls dont give me hope :prayer:
I am just speculating but I would assume that Jazz believes that the 123 active SKV pilots plus the Jazz 104 recalls are enough to staff the schedule until Bid 2021-01 runs. So further recalls would not commence prior to Oct 01st.

However, if AC gives Jazz more flying than anticipated, particularly increases in E175 flying requiring recalls of inactive E175 qualified pilots, then there would be recalls of inactive Jazz pilots on a 1:1 basis prior to October.

Time will tell. Good luck.

2nine9two
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2nine9two »

Have the 104 pilots already received their notice of recall? or will they be going out on May 1st?

Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

2nine9two wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:01 pm Have the 104 pilots already received their notice of recall? or will they be going out on May 1st?
They have, yes. May 1st is the return to work date.

throwaway123
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwaway123 »

Regional airline increasing by 200+ pilots and mainline still sitting on the sidelines AND not even on CEWS. Sigh.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

throwaway123 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm Regional airline increasing by 200+ pilots and mainline still sitting on the sidelines AND not even on CEWS. Sigh.
Apples and oranges.

Nearly 41% of the Express pilots still on layoff/CEWS even after the recall.

Mainline has approximately 14% on layoff.

CanadianPilotQc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CanadianPilotQc »

throwaway123 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:38 pm Regional airline increasing by 200+ pilots and mainline still sitting on the sidelines AND not even on CEWS. Sigh.
Agree this can be frustrating, but overall regional airline has more pilots on layoff than the mainline...

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

The only reason for the recalls is to make the most junior active Jazz pilot match seniority with the most junior incoming active Sky Regional pilot

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am The only reason for the recalls is to make the most junior active Jazz pilot match seniority with the most junior incoming active Sky Regional pilot
Not exactly. It's a one-for-one recall for Jazz pilots to equal the number of active Sky pilots coming over.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

goleafsgo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am The only reason for the recalls is to make the most junior active Jazz pilot match seniority with the most junior incoming active Sky Regional pilot
no it was to equal the same amount of active Sky pilots coming over so no one could say "their recall position was taken by a Sky pilot". The DOHs don't have anything to do with it.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

Not quite, it’s 104 recalls compared to 123 active sky regional pilots coming over

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”