Fall Equipment Bid

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Fall Equipment Bid

Post by Kosiw »

Is the EMB a more desireable bid than the RJ (900) ?
---------- ADS -----------

Gravity always wins
cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

Kosiw wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 am Is the EMB a more desireable bid than the RJ (900) ?
I think, it’s a combination of shiny new toy, the flying it does and the opinion that it’s a “real jet” by some, passengers included. The customers have a higher opinion of the E175.
Also, the seniority will likely be better for most on it, the RJ is a pretty senior position and the former SR Captains are all less than 10 years seniority, I feel the former SR pilots will not be happy with the outcome of this bid!

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Kosiw wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:26 am Is the EMB a more desireable bid than the RJ (900) ?
RJ = 200/900. However, west of YYZ it is 900 only. Once pre-COVID schedule is restored, great RJ(900) flying and layovers out of YVR (California).

EMB does a lot of undesirable flying (short haul eastern US seaboard + ORD). Once pre-COVID schedule is restored, it will be back on the former SKV/Express route network which will include at least a few warmer weather destinations and longer stage lengths.

There will be no EMB presence in western Canada until the first generation EMB and older RJ900’s are replaced at Express by second gen EMB or the E2.

Level of automation on EMB far beyond the RJ, although no auto-brake or auto-land on current first gen EMB fleet. Hopefully both features will be standard on replacement EMB.

Many pilots will use relative seniority on roster as priority in choosing between RJ and EMB. No airplane is fun when you have a lousy schedule and lousy vacation. Both fleet types have some very undesirable pairings (continuous duty overnights), particularly out of YYZ.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

You don’t want to be near the bottom of any roster at Jazz. Either you’re stuck with awful continuous duty pairings or you’re crew sked’s bitch. Can’t decide which is worse.

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:53 am You don’t want to be near the bottom of any roster at Jazz. Either you’re stuck with awful continuous duty pairings or you’re crew sked’s bitch. Can’t decide which is worse.
And don’t forget that Jazz RSV CA cover both CA and FO open flying (after FO WDO call out list is exhausted).

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

Personally I'd love if the western jazz guys bid the 175 to free up some RJ spots in yyc and yvr. I won't hold my breath though.

As a point of information, the Sky guys down to about seniority number 1350ish were all available to or in the process of upgrading. I'm sure the former Sky yyz and yul guys aren't going to be happy once the bid completes.

Fowler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fowler »

We all have a job, years of service recognition, pension recognition, vacation recognition, base maintenance and a hail Mary situation that got them out of chasing the golden goose egg. They may not be happy but I trust they will recognize the alternative and realize they are in a great spot. Retirements on the way here at Jazz and eventually flow to AC.
Additionally some could be captain albeit on different equipment.
Lastly, we are all Jazz pilots now, treated the same.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

straight2thepoint wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:07 pm Personally I'd love if the western jazz guys bid the 175 to free up some RJ spots in yyc and yvr. I won't hold my breath though.

As a point of information, the Sky guys down to about seniority number 1350ish were all available to or in the process of upgrading. I'm sure the former Sky yyz and yul guys aren't going to be happy once the bid completes.
Keep in mind that to bid into YYC or YVR, you have to already be based there. Western base positions, vacated by pilots migrating to the east, will not be backfilled.

In short, the bid will be run so that a pilot's base will be protected. Voluntary moves from West to East will be allowed but not the other way around.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Fowler wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 am We all have a job, years of service recognition, pension recognition, vacation recognition, base maintenance and a hail Mary situation that got them out of chasing the golden goose egg. They may not be happy but I trust they will recognize the alternative and realize they are in a great spot. Retirements on the way here at Jazz and eventually flow to AC.
Additionally some could be captain albeit on different equipment.
Lastly, we are all Jazz pilots now, treated the same.

Well said!

As a Sky guy that probably won't hold the 175, I couldn't care less what type I end up on... And I'll wear the Jazz hat without looking back.

It's easy to see the negative in every bid, every email, every training, etc. But the fact is when I look around in aviation in Canada, Jazz is a great place to be right now...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Outlaw58 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:55 am
Keep in mind that to bid into YYC or YVR, you have to already be based there. Western base positions, vacated by pilots migrating to the east, will not be backfilled.
Probably true. But there will be roster balancing if there is a large gap between CA and FO.
In short, the bid will be run so that a pilot's base will be protected. Voluntary moves from West to East will be allowed but not the other way around.
Are you sure? COVID Inactive pilots are not bidding from a Position. They are deemed surplus. No reinstatement rights (including Base).

I am guessing that a majority of pilots will be planning to be attached to their current/former Base. And the projected Positions in the Bid seem to have been constructed to reflect that. But there will be pilots bidding for Base change, including East to West.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

rudder wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:14 am
Probably true. But there will be roster balancing if there is a large gap between CA and FO.
Are you sure? COVID Inactive pilots are not bidding from a Position. They are deemed surplus. No reinstatement rights (including Base).

I am guessing that a majority of pilots will be planning to be attached to their current/former Base. And the projected Positions in the Bid seem to have been constructed to reflect that. But there will be pilots bidding for Base change, including East to West.
I wouldn't say ALL inactive pilots are deemed as surplus to the roster. There were recall waves from the Spring and Early Summer to which the MEC specifically said "further recalls will be due to increased blocking" The ones back with the final recall in August COULD be considered surplus since it was to protect them from losing CEWS.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

rudder wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:14 am

You are correct in that their may be oddities that pop-up as the bid is processed but those should be rare exceptions.

As stated in company and ALPA communications: "A decision was made to set Baselines in both Vancouver and Calgary that would encapsulate the number of Pilots currently awarded those Bases. This decision will result in YVR Pilots and YYC Pilots deadheading East to cover flying while we wait to see how the industry recovery progresses. As allowed in LOU 55, Baseline numbers may be adjusted during the bid award process if Western Pilots choose to bid Positions in Toronto and Montreal."

So even though the flying allocated would call for shrinking the YYC and YVR bases and grow the YUL and YYZ bases, the baseline was established so that there are enough positions in every base for all pilots currently there (active or not) and that baseline could be adjusted "ad hoc" during the bid processing in order to allow a pilot wanting to migrate from West to East to do so, but the vacancy left behind in the west would not be backfilled.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

I’ve flown the RJ 200s and 705ie900s in the right seat years ago. Now on the DH4. I always said I’d only bid back on the RJ once the 50 seat(-200series) was gone. I was not a fan of that aircraft and the flying it did. Virtually no automation, no leading edge devices, starting the APU on descent just to keep the pressurization going so the engines could run the deice(or was it vice-versa?), glory stroll to the back of the plane to use the lav (and listening to virtually every passenger saying “shouldn’t you be up front?”) the list goes on. I would fly the DH4 any day over the 50seat RJ. At the very least the DH4 has Fadec and a lav at the front of the aircraft

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

Hi!

First time here, though I've been reading your posts for a while. I figured it's time I joined the "Merry Band of Pirates".

I'm looking forward to this bid. I'm also being reduced off the "-300" and pretty much everyone I've spoken with, in YYZ, wants the Embraer, myself included. I don't see too many YVR or YYC pilots wanting to switch bases just for the aircraft, though some may. I imagine those would be the folks that contemplated moving back "home"; guys and gals that want to be closer to their families.

I can understand what the senior ex Sky Regional feel. They can't match the 20+ year seniority of our Dash 8 skippers and they will lose their top spots on this aircraft. With that being said, they will have the option to go on other equipment, or if they desire look elsewhere for employment. (Not meant as a derogatory comment.) It's good to have a choice at least. That's the risk we all took when decided to become pilots and then joined a specific airline. You never know how the industry or your company will do in five, ten or fifteen years.

I wonder how many Q and RJ pilots will want to switch over to the Embraer.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

Thanks everyone for your input. As a reminder bid closes tomorrow. Wishing good favour for everyone on your bid results by the EOM.

JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JetSetter87 »

Anybody with an insight on publish date of the bid?

RoAF-Mig21
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RoAF-Mig21 »

JetSetter87 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 am Anybody with an insight on publish date of the bid?
No word yet. We're all waiting for it. It should be sometime this week, I imagine. If not, at the very latest, it'll be end of the month.

a2btrail
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by a2btrail »

RoAF-Mig21 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:56 am
JetSetter87 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 am Anybody with an insight on publish date of the bid?
No word yet. We're all waiting for it. It should be sometime this week, I imagine. If not, at the very latest, it'll be end of the month.
Before end of month as mentioned. I can confirm they have completed the equipment assignment for each pilot and are now in the late stages of finalizing effective dates for newly awarded positions accordingly with final process auditing.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Normally, first 7 days of bid processing period is spent with CRC processing the awarded Positions. Second 7 days are Crew Planning setting Training and Effective dates.

This was a big bid. Lots more work on both phases of the process. Still likely that result will be out within hours or at most a day or two. Vacation bid to follow.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

Having been given the information since I'm on the outside. Based on all of what I've read, I'd estimate 22nd-26th personally. I've heard the vacation bid will be posted October 1st which would mean the equipment bid results would need a week or so to be out for any adjustments.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”