jazz interview questions

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tiny Voices
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: jazz interview questions

Post by Tiny Voices »

mbav8r wrote:Ok Ivanhoe, which part of my post is inaccurate? Other than highly, care to correct those terms of employment, I'm so inaccurate about. I do know several people who work there, I have been told about all of those conditions, so unless I've been lied to.
We've signed a new contract in the last year or so ourselves. Have you talk to your friends since then? Have they familiarized themselves with our latest agreement? To quote Homer Simpson - "Close, but you're way off!"
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I am aware of your new contract, some of those things are new to this contract. For example your old contract there was no monthly minimum, now it's either 15 or 16 days(not sure which) So if you bid and hold a 4 day pairing worth 28 credit now you have to fit the othe 52 credits in the 11 or 12 remaining days. Meaning gone are the days of working 12 days for the whole month. Care to correct me or are you just gonna keep saying I'm wrong, cause that proves nothing except you have no money to put where your mouth is.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
ivanhoe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ivanhoe »

mbav8r wrote:I am aware of your new contract, some of those things are new to this contract. For example your old contract there was no monthly minimum, now it's either 15 or 16 days(not sure which) So if you bid and hold a 4 day pairing worth 28 credit now you have to fit the othe 52 credits in the 11 or 12 remaining days. Meaning gone are the days of working 12 days for the whole month. Care to correct me or are you just gonna keep saying I'm wrong, cause that proves nothing except you have no money to put where your mouth is.
You are obviously NOT aware of our new contract.

I'm not going to take the time to correct you since you are being rude and look to be gunning for a pissing match.

The flood of Jazzer's that have come through our doors did their due diligence and decided the grass was greener over here. If you are happy at Jazz that's OK with me. Everyone makes their own choices but don't try and spread misinformation to rationalise or justify that choice. Especially to others...

"We are not asking" doesn't sound like the motto of a group of happy pilots. You would be hard pressed to find many WestJet pilots that are unhappy with their pay and working conditions.

I do wish you good luck with your battle for a better contract.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

MBAV8OR
Believe me, I know it’s easy to throw insults around and get defensive about our companies, but having been at Jazz and now at WJ, I can honestly say the pay, working conditions and lifestyle are better at WJ, at least for me anyway.
Take a senior Jazz pilot with the perfect schedule and yes you have us beat, but for the most part the majority of pilots will spend their days in the lower half of the seniority lists. Personally I’d rather have 80% of what I want 80% of the time then the fest or famine that is a seniority system has to offer. I’ve been here 3+ years and have had each New Years off, I’ll take Xmas off when my wife (Jazz FA) can hold it or we have a family. I would not have had the opportunity at Jazz for god knows how long.

What we may lack in scheduling rules we more then make up for with our FLICA program. I won’t bore you with the details, as I’m sure you know them anyway, but it’s a Program that IMHO every airline should have. Really opens up your schedule, and gives you the ability to work Part time if you want to take the pay hit.

I’ve been hard at Jazz in some (most) of my previous posts, I’ll admit I left there pretty pissed off. But looking back, if you guys do get a “career contract” and somehow the bad blood/politics between Jazz and AC somehow diminish, Jazz would be (again) a great place to work.

Again good luck in your talks.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Kag, you're right, I was being defensive of Jazz and to ivanhoe I didn't think I was being rude by defending my statements. But this equates to "lyer, lyer pants on fire" "Your post is highly inaccurate. Especially with regard to block time".
Obviously, you guys are under a gag order not to discuss the contents of you contract on a public forum. Otherwise you would have given correct info and this would have been overwith. I guess if someone wants work rule info about WJ, they have to ask in the interview, cause apparently I'm being fed bad information.
I have heard of flica and wish we had it at Jazz, in fact flica has been to Jazz and presented it to managment and the union as a cost saving device, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Why are you on a public forum arguing that your working conditions are better than your competitor's while your union is trying to negotiate a better contract?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

First of all I didn't say better, I said our conditions should be considered when considering the pay, second I didn't say perfect, there is always room for improvment.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Gag order?...now that’s funny.
I average a block time of 80 hours a month; our min is 77.5, Overtime trigger of 82.5. If you pick up FLICA it's at straight time no matter how many hours you have, accepting a trip from crew sched is overtime. Straight time only counts towards ESP, OT does not, so there are perks to doing straight time. We do not have double time.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

mbav8r wrote;
Umm, No the reason is because they knew a way in to WJ was the training at Jazz. 2-3 years ago, when the revovling door was smoking hot, the 3rd year FO wage was on par with Jazz FO salary. The first year actually worked out to a paycut, when you factor in less per diems and taxed on the 20% compared to 1st year at Jazz. If you factor in the new hires stock options probably aren't doing well and no pension at WJ, I wouldn't say it's a whole lot better there. No one ever compares work rules when factoring compensation, but just compare WJ block to Jazz. I believe it's wheels up to wheels down, but at Jazz it's brake release at the gate. Just think of all that time spent taxiing and holding off the gate for red alerts that you're not paid for, min 15 or 16 days at work. No pay for DH. They may be paid more but they're working alot harder for it.
The bold is for jean pierre, who apparently missed this part.
For KAG, the above mentioned are now questions, I thought I had a grip on your working conditions but maybe not.
If you care to correct me, I will then have correct information.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

check your PM.

sky Rookie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sky Rookie »

can you guys shed some light on the sim eval.
Has anyone done it coming from a piston popper?

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

Jer wrote: If WJ would call me, I know its for 737 in YYC, if Porter would call me, I know its for a Q400 in YTZ... Normally, any company that hires you, before you say "yes", you usually know your base and type. With Jazz, you only know on the 2nd day of GS (unless it has changed). If David would have told me : YUL base with Dash-8 or CRJ... or Q400, it could have been a different story... at least I have something to base my decisions with.
Well, with Porter, that's a no brainer, one type, one base. WJ, one type, YYC I believe only (all others being ports, not bases). Jazz, Dash 8, CRJ, 757 and soon the Q400, five bases.

Funny people will talk crap about Jazz, but AC does the same thing: get hired, draw seniority, pick from available bases and A/C's.

Bitch all you want about Jazz, but it's a great place to work.

habs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by habs »

It is a great place to work. I understand KAG's ideas on seniority systems and mostly agree on that point. However, with the new contract, we are just a short while away from having FLICA implemented and a Timebank system; these will help mitigate "juniority" issues.

floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatplanepilot »

Anyone else in a similar boat? Jazz requires a reference from your current employer, and a stamp from them in your logbook for the interview. I went and asked them for both and now I'm the only captain on call for 2 airplanes for the days of the interview. I am hoping nothing gets booked.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Just tell them when they call. Jazz HR are very accommodating and will understand your situation if you cannot get away for a particular date.
However, it's in your best interest to get 'on the boat' ASAP as the difference from one interview date to another could potentially mean the difference of 20 seniority numbers (or more).

floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Canoehead wrote:Just tell them when they call. Jazz HR are very accommodating and will understand your situation if you cannot get away for a particular date.
However, it's in your best interest to get 'on the boat' ASAP as the difference from one interview date to another could potentially mean the difference of 20 seniority numbers (or more).
Thats the plan. I am going to try to make it for my original date. There is nothing booked for me on those dates yet.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Sounds like a great place to stick around, if they are willing to do that what else are they willing to do? Are they willing to give a bad reference on the phone, to keep you? Are you sure you have to provide a reference from your current employer, I believe they would only ask if they may contact your current employer, and it's okay to say only if I'm being considered, for just this reason.
Can you ask another pilot to cover for you for those days?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
floatplanepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

mbav8r wrote:Sounds like a great place to stick around, if they are willing to do that what else are they willing to do? Are they willing to give a bad reference on the phone, to keep you? Are you sure you have to provide a reference from your current employer, I believe they would only ask if they may contact your current employer, and it's okay to say only if I'm being considered, for just this reason.
Can you ask another pilot to cover for you for those days?
I'm not sure they actually did it on purpose. I am the only pilot on one aircraft to begin with. If going by my past experiences with my employer I would say they did not. I've been pretty happy, and they've lived up to their word.

The email I received from Jazz stated specifically that one reference must be from my current employer. They also want a stamped logbook which will clue them in that I am interviewing elsewhere.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Ah, one night when no one else is around just go into an office where there is a company stamp. Droper down than have you buddy sign it, than have him be your reference as well. haha

oh if your employer figures out you did this they may not actually be to happy with you.

If you do this you take your fate upon yourself and are a jackass for actually taking this advise, also I like cake

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

floatplanepilot wrote: They also want a stamped logbook which will clue them in that I am interviewing elsewhere.
Say you are applying for a new license or rating and transport wants to see a certified logbook...just a thought

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”