Air Canada threatens sale of Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Not sure if this was already posted......

Air Canada last month suggested the potential sale of Air Canada Jazz, just as executives prepared to meet with key unions to discuss cost cuts at its money-losing regional subsidiary. Air Canada seeks to trim a total of C$650 million ($425 million) in labor costs, an amount equal to roughly 23 percent of its annual payroll and related expenditures. Air Canada Jazz aims to shed C$90 million–the exact amount it lost last year.

In November Jazz threatened to cut 391 jobs–roughly 9 percent of its workforce–to compensate for a 30-percent drop in short-haul travel over the past year. The airline had already laid off more than 130 employees earlier in the year.

Unions representing more than 35,000 workers at Air Canada’s mainline operations, including pilots, flight attendants, ticket agents, maintenance and ground services personnel, have all balked at the airline’s calls for renegotiated contracts. Meanwhile, ALPA representatives for Air Canada Jazz pilots have accused the parent company of inflating maintenance and ground-service costs to Jazz, thereby creating pressure for labor cost concessions at the regional airline.

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-ne ... f902390858
---------- ADS -----------

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

That's a very strange article. I think the numbers the article is referring to is Pre CCAA numbers. We made well over a $100 million last year and are on track for $160+ Million this year. I find that article a little suspect.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

something's messed up there. :?

Drinking outside the box.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

and 391 is not 9% of the workforce. I think we have about 6000 employees.

whiteguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by whiteguy »

There are only about 26,000 employees at AC as well. The article seems quite old.

arewethereyet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Main Gear!!!

Post by arewethereyet »

Main Gear!!!

YOUR AN IDIOT... EVEN MORE THAN TONY!

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Canada threatens sale of Jazz

Post by Wacko »

Main Gear wrote:C$650 million ($425 million)
How long ago was this? or is this related to the Euro or something? Last I checked it should be about even.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

That whole article is BS. Air Canada does not own Jazz: ACE is the majority unit holder. Also ACE has many times talked of eliminating itself, so selling Jazz to investors is nothing new. Lastly, domestic travel is way up -see Jazz' record load factors.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Anybody that does not recognise the context of this article was asleep from 2000-2003.... :D

quickflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by quickflight »

Found it, April 2nd 2004

hook low flare late
Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

thought so.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Yeah, an article from March of 03. MMMM yeah were sure in trouble alright.

By the way you suck a trolling

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Main Gear!!!

Post by Main Gear »

Geez...just posted the article from a site that has links to recent aviation news, but obviously this particular one wasn't current. If I worked at Jazz I would have known different. But with all the talk of ACE, 2009, etc. who the hell knows...

arewethereyet wrote:Main Gear!!!

YOUR AN IDIOT... EVEN MORE THAN TONY!
Thanks for adding me to your list of idiots....

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Main Gear.
On Avcanada sometimes the truth hurts. For the most part it's a source that is well informed and fun to read. But sometimes when you state the facts you will be called an idiot, a troll etc. When you go against their needs, the name calling begins. You did nothing wrong. They are insecure. You proved it. The fact is, AC/Jazz management will do whatever it needs to do or say. Don't always accept it. Most times they are playing a game. Beware, though. There is always some truth to a rumor. The article may be old. But maybe ACE has found a new way to cut costs. The mainline is next. Just wait.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Jazz has released a satement about the (old) article.

Four1oh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Four1oh »

tonysoprano wrote:Main Gear.
On Avcanada sometimes the truth hurts. For the most part it's a source that is well informed and fun to read. But sometimes when you state the facts you will be called an idiot, a troll etc. When you go against their needs, the name calling begins. You did nothing wrong. They are insecure. You proved it. The fact is, AC/Jazz management will do whatever it needs to do or say. Don't always accept it. Most times they are playing a game. Beware, though. There is always some truth to a rumor. The article may be old. But maybe ACE has found a new way to cut costs. The mainline is next. Just wait.
you, my friend, are truly the candle in the darkness...

fogghorn
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fogghorn »

Four1oh wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:Main Gear.

Don't you all git your titties in a knot about jazz - it'll be around forever, hahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGr2mW4L-fw

You will never live long enough to know it all, so quit being anal about it..
tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Sorry dude, I switched Scotch recently. The new stuff makes me go a little funny. I can't believe I wrote that stuff.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

tonysoprano wrote:

Sorry dude, I switched Scotch recently. The new stuff makes me go a little funny. I can't believe I wrote that stuff.
Did your new Scotch have a little worm in the bottom of the bottle?

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Si.:lol:

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”