Life with Jazz

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Melo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Life with Jazz

Post by Melo »

Hi All,

Right now I am in the early stages of my PPL but looking ahead my ultimate goal in aviation is to be a pilot for Jazz. Regionals have always been more appealing to me than the bigger larger carriers.

I was hoping to hear some feedback from Jazz pilots out there on their schedule and home\family life. Are there a lot of over nighters, if any??? Are the work days long (like 14 hours)? I do have a young family and being home is important.

Also, I do have some questions regarding their medical. I do have a valid CAT 1 medical but my color vision is borderline. I didn’t pass the Ishihara test but did pass the Farnsworth test. Is color vision tested with their medical? Does anyone what test they administer to test color vision? How would that work if I have a TC CAT 1 but Jazz felt it wasn’t good enough? I would hate to invest the money in training to only be turned away.

Thanks all for your feedback.
---------- ADS -----------

Dark Helmet
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Life with Jazz

Post by Dark Helmet »

Hi there

Schedule is pretty good. You do have a choice of reserve and pairings. Reserve is like on call where you are on call for 12 hours/day. Pairings is actual schedule. Starting out you may be on reserve, as you bulid seniority, you can bid on pairings. On average (mind you it does change with seniority, and also with aircraft) plan on 15 days a month, with about 10 nights away from you bed.

Benefits are decent, pension, people are great to work with, good flying routes and experience should you decide to move on, off course the pay is not spectacular. It is more or less on par with the regionals in Canada, but no where close to the Majors like WJ, AC, AT, etc.

As far as the medical, yes you do get tested for color blindness. If memory serve me correct, I think I got the book with the numbers in different shades. It has been a while, hopefully someone who has done the medical recently can add more to it.

Good luck

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

The colour blind test is the same test you do for a regular Cat 1 medical or even a drivers license.

pauliewalnuts
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pauliewalnuts »

I can't see the Ishihara plates to save my life! I get through the first couple - the easiest ones and then none after that. However, I got perfect scores on the lanterns test as well as the farnsworth.
Not to many places administer the lanterns test but the farnsworth is common.
Just go to your optometrist and get a farnsworth done.
If someone tells you you are colour blind cause you can't see the Ishihara plates they are incorrect because it is only a basic screening test for colour deficiency, the farnsworth and lantern test is much more conclusive.
I took copies of my farnsworth test to my Jazz medical and there was no issue. When I did the medical for Air Canada I had an updated farnsworth test done and again no issues.
The medical for Jazz and Air Canada is the same, they do test you for colour vision using the Ishihara plates. If you can't see the plates they will have you do a farnsworth test - I just showed up to my medical with the test completed from my optometrist.

Melo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Melo »

Awesome guys...thanks for the positive feedback!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Melo,

Schedule is good. I live in YQT and I bid YQT overnights and I get about 5-6/month and work 14-15 days, so I'm only away for 10 nights which is much better than guys that live in YYZ (unless they bid single day pairings).

catan man
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by catan man »

Hey Bede is it hard to get a jump seat to and from yqt out of yyz?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”