Looking For Advice

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Looking For Advice

Post by Cool Rythms! »

Hey everyone, how goes it. It's been a while since I've logged on to AvCanada. Hope everyone's doing fine.

I'm the one who has always said that I would never dish out money to an employer to pay for training. Now here I find myself in a situation. I worked for a company last year, the name of which I will not mention at this time. They made me sign a training agreement following my training on the Dash 8. I served six months with them, then came to Jazz in November of last year. Just recently, I received a registered letter from them, telling me that since I only gave them six months, I now owe them $7,000 (initial training was $14,000) since I voluntarilly terminated my employment. Part of me says that maybe I should pay this money and avoid any headaches. The other part of me is saying not to give them one damn penny! The more I talk to people about this, the more I feel that the latter part of me is right.

I'm looking for some advice, since I've never been in this situation before. Can they really come after me for this money? Most people say no because training bonds are just plain illegal. I'm thinking of seeking the advice of a lawyer on this.

Have any of you been in this type of situation? What course of action do you think I should take? Your input will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to everyone for their advice.

Safe Flying!

CR :)
---------- ADS -----------

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
Traf
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Looking For Advice

Post by Traf »

Contact ALPA and see if their legal department has any advice. They are there to help pilots out.

Signing those things is usually done under duress.

Good Luck!!!

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

Thanks Traf. I'll get in contact with ALPA right away. Cause the more I think about this, the more I feel it's not right at all.

"When the power of love overcomes the love for power, only then will this world know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Lets see... you signed an agreement saying that you would stay for a set period of time. Then you got a better job and left before the end of the agreement. The company is now after you to fork over some cash since you broke your end of the deal, and you don't think this is right? Why do you think you should be able to walk away from a signed contract? Was the operator unsafe? Did they force you to break regulations? If not then I think you should be on the hook for the cash. I'm not a big fan of training bonds, but unfortunately its situations like this that brought in the whole bond thing to start with. Come on guys, if you say you'll stay a year, stay a year and things like this won't happen!!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

This is the only thing that jumps out in your story.
. They made me sign a training agreement following my training on the Dash 8.
How did they " make " you sign the bond " after " the training?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
JazzJetDriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JazzJetDriver »

Unfortunately, training bonds are legal in Canada.

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

Ah the lure of Jazz....... There's a lure??????

Isn't that what you call buyers remorse?

Having worked on a few of their 8's lately and having to deal with a few of their "captains" I wish you good luck.

Pay.

Aviation is a small world. Eventually it will come back to you.

you never know.........

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

Contracts can always be broken and settled. For example: AC used Bankruptcy protection to open all the collective agreements and renegotiate all the terms. All the vendors were told to pound salt and accept the new terms or get nothing. Of course, the little guy/gal does not necessarily enjoy the same clout however for those of you out there that like to say that contracts are sacred and should be honored, I say wake up and get with the times - everything is negotiable.

Cool Rythms: I doubt you will ever be able to walk away completely from this, you may however be in a position to renegotiate the balance owing. There are many variables that can potentially come into play such as your experience or what the money was used to cover. Just know that if you want to take the legal avenue, it will likely cost you a lot more than 7K if it ends up going to court and you lose. Talk to a laywer for an hour and get their opinion on it. Don't take anyones word on this site for it, including mine... :mrgreen:

Cool Rythms!
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Cool Rythms! »

Prop2jet, I appreciate your advice. By far, one of the better pieces I've received. And yes, I know all too well how sarcasm runs rampant on these forums. That's probably one of the reasons I barely log on here anymore. 7K is a bit of dough, but one thing I didn't mention, is the fact that I was not paid during training, which lasted one month. If worse came to worse, I could probably negotiate a new balance owing minus the one month I wasn't paid. But before I do anything, I'm going to contact Labour Canada and speak with someone there. I'm also going to speak with someone from ALPA's legal department. If it comes down to having to pay that money, then I'll pay them in monthly installments.

Thanks again for your input.

CR :)

- Jimi Hendrix

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”