Fleet Renewal

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Fleet Renewal

Post by Brize »

Anyone think there might actually be a fleet renewal sometime this century?

DH8s are in looking rough, don't know about the RJs.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Fleet Renewal

Post by flyinhigh »

HAHAHAHA, thats the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Oh wait, your serious. won't happen for a very long time if ever.

Obbie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Obbie »

A fleet requirement report was issued sometime last year.

It basically said that the current tails will remain in service
until at least 2012.

Treetopflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Treetopflyer »

i heard they want to extend the dh8's to 100 and something thousand cycles...
no joke.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

No point in even considering fleet 'renewal' until after this big 'event' happens (ie: negots, AC CCAA2, etc). That will determine the course of events for us.

Regardless, you are correct. The fleet (especially of DH8's) has never looked more embarrassing. I'm about to start investing in 3M, or whoever that is that supplies our speed tape LOL...

TcheDjan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TcheDjan »

For what I heard could happen, extend the cycles to over 100000 with a big overhaul program. At the same time the avionics suite would be modernized, and the Q system installed. It's still an awesome airplane. Just worn out.

Connaught
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Connaught »

sheesh, how many cycles are on the dash's?? was mid 30's about 6 years ago when i was workin there, and i know there are big inspections due at 40k.

i find it hard to believe that they are even contemplating 100000 cycles,

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Connaught wrote:sheesh, how many cycles are on the dash's?? was mid 30's about 6 years ago when i was workin there, and i know there are big inspections due at 40k.

i find it hard to believe that they are even contemplating 100000 cycles,
Actually they want to extend them to 120,000 cycles. Whats another 20000 when you already hit 100k? :o

Let’s Go Brandon
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Some new paint & an interior, along with some TLC goes a surprisingly long way for the eye. If they can pass the maintenance checks, and keep hauling in $, then...

3laze
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 3laze »

Rumor has it that that the pilots are currently snagging the hell out of the 100 to try and raise the operating cost, to make something else seem more economically feasible, I'd love to see Q400's, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, more then likely they will just get more CRJ 705's than again it's just a rumor, to be taken with a grain of salt

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

3laze wrote:Rumor has it that that the pilots are currently snagging the hell out of the 100 to try and raise the operating cost, to make something else seem more economically feasible, I'd love to see Q400's, but that's not going to happen anytime soon, more then likely they will just get more CRJ 705's than again it's just a rumor, to be taken with a grain of salt

I'd have to challenge that rumor. If there is an issue with the airplane, it gets snagged. I haven't seen too much imagination going into that...
Dispatch reliability of the DH8 fleet is still exceptional.
And yes, we'd all love to see some new metal (or should I say plastic lol?), but we won't get a clear picture of things until after negots and any possible business disruption in the months ahead.

My glass is half full :-)

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Pilots are snagging the hell out of the -100's because they're always breaking, no rumour to that!

Let’s Go Brandon
mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

if pilots are recording snags in the JL they are simply doing their job. economics will be the driving force behind fleet renewal except labour will likely work hard to influence the outcome. (i.e. scope, arbitration etc)

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

Inverted2 wrote:Pilots are snagging the hell out of the -100's because they're always breaking, no rumour to that!
FWIW, i only flew a brand new fleet once and the rate of snags was about the same as the current dash8 fleet IMHO. however, the types of snags are different.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

I've been noticing them snagging the hell out of the Dash's lately actually. Much of it is obviously nitpicking to prove some kind of point.......I don't mind at all though because I really like being busy and they are well within their rights to write the stuff up. In my mind they should write more stuff up!

It is noticeably different these days though as opposed to a couple months ago.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

mattedfred wrote:
Inverted2 wrote:Pilots are snagging the hell out of the -100's because they're always breaking, no rumour to that!
FWIW, i only flew a brand new fleet once and the rate of snags was about the same as the current dash8 fleet IMHO. however, the types of snags are different.
Sorry, I thought we were talking about the CRJ100s from AC. I bet they break down twice as much as the Dash!

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”