B757 ETOPS program cancelled?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

B757 ETOPS program cancelled?

Post by Mig29 »

Officially the program is cancelled, as there was no continued interest from Thomas Cook, due to "changes in commercial requirements".

We know what ETOPS stands for and why it was pursued. What are you thoughts on this and the future of the TC program?

Keep the discussion civil and be polite to each other please.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: B757 ETOPS program cancelled?

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Funny I always thought ETOPS stood for Engines Turning or People Swimming...

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Xander »

Doesn't look good for sure.

The trouble with my life is that I do not think I am cut out to sit behind a desk.
TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

You don't need to be ETOPs to fly over to Europe, it just makes things a lot easier and saves a heck of a lot on fuel. Flights to the UK on a 757 sans ETOPs is doable. Just not very efficient.

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

TopperHarley wrote:You don't need to be ETOPs to fly over to Europe, it just makes things a lot easier and saves a heck of a lot on fuel. Flights to the UK on a 757 sans ETOPs is doable. Just not very efficient.
Not sure if just being doable would be enough to make it financially viable for a tour company. Usually their margins are pretty thin and any added expense would be a serious blow.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

My understanding of the reason Jazz was persuing ETOPS was for Hawaii, I can only assume that because WestJet is using TC for their Hawaii and TC already purchases seats from WJ. They no longer need us for the Hawaii route they were planning. This of course is backed up by comments made from Friisdahl about "strengthening their relationship with WestJet."
Not good, well 3 more years of seasonal 57 work, then 6 more years of CPA, then I guess I'll apply at Sky Regional, maybe I should go now, you know, start over now instead of 2020....

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LisaS »

Westjet was TC's first choice for all of their flying. WJ turned it down and now believes that was a mistake. Maybe this is their way of slowly realing back in the work, but who really knows whats going to happen.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Does WJ ever plan to do this flying with their own pilots on canadian-registered a/c ?

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

LisaS wrote:Westjet was TC's first choice for all of their flying. WJ turned it down and now believes that was a mistake. Maybe this is their way of slowly realing back in the work, but who really knows whats going to happen.
Yes. WJ was also NASA's first choice for the shuttle operation but they turned that down as well :lol:

Thomas Cook/Sunquest buy seats on WJ because it is to Cook's benefit. WJ contracted Thomas Cook to operate the 757 to Hawaii because it is to WJ's benefit. There is nothing new here. But an announcement that WJ Vacations and Sunquest were merging, that would be news.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

The mere fact that Thomas cook cancelled our ETOPS program so far into it, tells me that, it's not going to be operating on behalf of WJ for just the one season. If it were, the program would continue because we would have had it for next season.
So now we welcome WestJet to ranks of Sunwing, hey as long as your profit sharing check is good nothing else matters...

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
one8tee
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by one8tee »

First of all LisaS, I wouldn't be too proud that WJ underbid Jazz by using foriegn pilots and foriegn airplanes.

Secondly, this sucks for Jazz. Any idea what that means for any future growth with TC? Logistically if there were plans to operate 330's at some point they probably would have continued with the ETOPS certification right?

At least we have S.T. looking out for some new business for us!

LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LisaS »

mbav8r wrote:The mere fact that Thomas cook cancelled our ETOPS program so far into it, tells me that, it's not going to be operating on behalf of WJ for just the one season. If it were, the program would continue because we would have had it for next season.
So now we welcome WestJet to ranks of Sunwing, hey as long as your profit sharing check is good nothing else matters...

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Thanks LisaS, great classic song, here's one for you too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 08KdCfSX5E

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

WJ................YVR - HNL 2351nm

WJ/Cook...... YYC - HNL 2716nm

Jazz/Cook....YVR - PUJ 3201nm

http://www.flyjazz.ca/en/home/thomascoo ... temap.aspx

LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LisaS »

EDITED - No room for that crap here.

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WetJet »

Mig29 wrote: Keep the discussion civil and be polite to each other please.
Wow, that didn't take long. :shock:

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

WetJet wrote:
Mig29 wrote: Keep the discussion civil and be polite to each other please.
Wow, that didn't take long. :shock:
I hear ya :(

Max_Diff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Max_Diff »

Could Jazz's ETOPS program have been canceled because Thomas Cook was initially planning on having Jazz do their European routes out of YYZ and YUL in the summer with either 330's of 757's? This past summer was Thomas Cook's last season with the Transat contract to do these routes. My understanding is that Air Transat will do these routes on their own now with 310's or 330's instead of having their competition do it for them. Makes sense.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I don't believe the work put into ETOPS has been a waste and all efforts to this point don't just evaporate. I'm sure this project could be set back in motion on a moments notice. TC isn't immune to the current market conditions, especially in Europe .. i'll wait till they get their house in order before getting too worried.

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

not sure it can be put in place at a moments notice....as I understand it, the process has to start again. There are other factors at work here; and a lot of it has to do with TC phasing out the 757. For us to get ETOPS, we would need to get our own machine. TC doesn't want a spare one on the books right now. So with the idea that TC are going to retire the '57, there is no need to continue with the ETOPS certification. Won't need it if TC goes to an all Airbus fleet.

This ETOPS cancellation isn't really that big a deal in the big picture....

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”