Jumpseating with USA carriers overseas?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Jumpseating with USA carriers overseas?

Post by Mig29 »

Hey guys,

I was planning to travel this summer overseas, and due to increased turbulence at Air Canada and potential for the loads to spike (due to Olympics for example) I just want to ask you if anyone had any experience or difficulties jumpseating with Delta, Continental or United internationally?

I know for example Transat will take you right at the check-in with your valid red pass and if there is room you are good to go.

What about those 3 American carriers? Do I need to call a special standby line or book online?

Thank you kindly!
---------- ADS -----------

Jack In The Box
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Jumpseating with USA carriers overseas?

Post by Jack In The Box »

Hey Mig, united and Delta you can just list at the gate. You have to fill out a form which is given to the CA for approval. American requires you to list in advance I believe. I am not sure if you can choose between the js and a seat in the cabin, but you can probably clarify that one with your gate agent.

Keep in mind jumpseating in the US is seen more of as a right then a privilege. And you are supposed to go into the cockpit (in uniform) to ask the captain personally if it's alright to sit in the js.

That's all I know. Good luck

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

One thing I can add here... with the US carriers, you will not be permitted to sit in the flight deck.. it will be a cabin seat. Some carriers let you on as long as there is an empty seat, and some will restrict j/s travel to the amount of jumpseats in the A/C..so if there are two J/S, then they will let two people ride (regardless of the amount of empty seats in the back)... again it will only be a cabin seat. You do not need to be in uniform, each carrier has its' own dress code for jumpseat riders, usually casual business attire (golf shirt, and pair of slacks for instance). You are expected to present your company ID/RAIC card and say hello up front.

ALPA has information on jumpseating on the website along with contact numbers and eligible carriers...check there as well..

It is generally a seamless experience.

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

Thank you guys! :D

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”