Future at Jazz?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JohnnyDrama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Future at Jazz?

Post by JohnnyDrama »

I was called today for an interview at Jazz and I'm wondering what current Jazz employees think about the company today and what the future holds.

I currently work for another Airline working a rotation in the Arctic. I think Jazz is a good company and it would be nice to be home with my family more often but if the future isn't looking great I think I'd rather stay where I am. I don't want to bother doing the interview if it's not the job for me.

I am looking for good information to help make the decision not just overly negative comments.

Thanks in advance.

JD
---------- ADS -----------

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Future at Jazz?

Post by Mig29 »

there are a lot of threads on this question. Just read few topics below.

Best of luck if you decide to do an interview.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Considering your alias is Johnny Drama .. I think you'll fit right in! .. Come fill your boots!

vanishing point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vanishing point »

How will you know if it's the job for you or not if you don't do the interview? That where questions are asked and answered, both by the company to you and vice versa.

You've got nothing to lose. Better to do the interview and then decide rather than not do it and always wonder what might have been.

I've been here 23+ years. Former Ontario Express, Canadian Regional and now Jazz. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

cv990
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cv990 »

After looking through various threads, and the comments whenever there is a job opening somewhere, I notice this: there are a lot of people wanting all the answers. It is really hard to do that, and the best advice people can get is to do the research and make your own decisions. There isn't a person alive who can tell you what the shape of the industry is going to look like 5 years from now. Not at Jazz, not at Air Canada, not at Westjet. So advice should probably be given about "current" and "past" experiences, and leave it up to the applicant to make their own decisions.

I work at Jazz. I love it there. It is an excellent place to work, for me. People will "hate" or have it in for various companies for various reasons. Usually just because they want to hear the sound of their own voice. Jazz, like I am sure Westjet, and Air Canada (current labour strife notwithstanding) is a professional, safe environment. We are trained to an extrememly high standard, as are the others. We fly well-maintained aircraft with modern, automated systems.. as do the others. This, of course, isn't the company if you want to do International, widebody flying... but there are places for that, and they are going to be professional, safe, well-trained environments.

So if you think you would like to try your hand at flying our planes, over our routes, then absolutely welcome to Jazz. We would be more than pleased to have you aboard.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

cv990 wrote:After looking through various threads, and the comments whenever there is a job opening somewhere, I notice this: there are a lot of people wanting all the answers. It is really hard to do that, and the best advice people can get is to do the research and make your own decisions. There isn't a person alive who can tell you what the shape of the industry is going to look like 5 years from now. Not at Jazz, not at Air Canada, not at Westjet. So advice should probably be given about "current" and "past" experiences, and leave it up to the applicant to make their own decisions.

I work at Jazz. I love it there. It is an excellent place to work, for me. People will "hate" or have it in for various companies for various reasons. Usually just because they want to hear the sound of their own voice. Jazz, like I am sure Westjet, and Air Canada (current labour strife notwithstanding) is a professional, safe environment. We are trained to an extrememly high standard, as are the others. We fly well-maintained aircraft with modern, automated systems.. as do the others. This, of course, isn't the company if you want to do International, widebody flying... but there are places for that, and they are going to be professional, safe, well-trained environments.

So if you think you would like to try your hand at flying our planes, over our routes, then absolutely welcome to Jazz. We would be more than pleased to have you aboard.
Speaking as a fare paying consumer who never worked for any airline but has flown on a few Canadian Carriers, may I. One thing I note about JAZZ is they go about their business in a quiet /efficient manner providing a service dealing with all things aviation (which can be trying as we all know). Are they outstanding – no, but neither are they indifferent nor there isn’t a could care less attitude. I find they try to do their best.
All carriers have some things of note. WestJet’s chirpiness with their early morning PA departure announcements and one line comedy routine from FAs as we taxi in to the gate. Some lap this stuff up, I don’t and I tune it out like I do with a next seat PAX on a 3 hr. flight who wants to discuss their life cycle. Air Canada’s rigid formality and perhaps(some would suggest) sternness with a yes sir/no sir is off putting to some but not an item of bother with me. Does this mean that I have difficulties with idiosyncrasies of WJ/AC – nope not at all. I fly for pleasure now rather than business and schedule/time is my driving force and being from Maritimes, JAZZ is the main line.

:wink:

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

cv990 wrote:After looking through various threads, and the comments whenever there is a job opening somewhere, I notice this: there are a lot of people wanting all the answers. It is really hard to do that, and the best advice people can get is to do the research and make your own decisions. There isn't a person alive who can tell you what the shape of the industry is going to look like 5 years from now. Not at Jazz, not at Air Canada, not at Westjet. So advice should probably be given about "current" and "past" experiences, and leave it up to the applicant to make their own decisions.

Is Jazz viewed at a career airline for most people who work there? Or are alot of people still trying to upgrade to the AC mainline from Jazz? What are the benefits/drawbacks to working for Jazz vs AC mainline (besides regional flying)?

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Very much a career airline- that's why we (lifers) are frustrated at the (lack of) leadership. It's a GREAT place to work, and many have zero aspirations of joining the circus next door. If we could only get some vision and action from our ivory tower...

The term "upgrade", I think, is questionable. When you compare the contracts of ACPA and ALPA JAZ, going to AC just from a contract POV is hardly an upgrade. I would argue that it's a step back into the dark ages.

But that's just my opinion.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Some view it as a stepping stone, others like me a career. Depends what you want in life. I really like it here and don't plan on leaving unless I'm forced out. Like Canoe said, the term upgrade is very subjective.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”