How many got hired and how many more should get hired?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

R2D2
Rank 0
Rank 0

How many got hired and how many more should get hired?

Post by R2D2 »

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering how many people got hired this year so far and how may more left to be hired? It sounds like altogether, 120 people should get a position this year. The April ground school being already filled, that would be interesting to know how many more people are needed, how many more ground school etc...

Cheers everybody, thanks and good luck
:D
---------- ADS -----------

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: How many got hired and how many more should get hired?

Post by Lateralus »

R2D2 wrote:Hi Everybody,

I was wondering how many people got hired this year so far and how may more left to be hired? It sounds like altogether, 120 people should get a position this year. The April ground school being already filled, that would be interesting to know how many more people are needed, how many more ground school etc...

Cheers everybody, thanks and good luck
:D

Oh I would imagine quite a bit, with the attrition rate we have now. There isn't much incentive to stick around if you got hired after February 2006 with the travel passes gone. Not too mention the constant uncertainty with AC. The crappy part about all of it is that it is really a great place to work. We have awesome crews, and pretty decent working conditions we just have such an uncertain future being so dependent on AC, and sadly our management seems content on just slinking by doing the bare minimum getting outside work.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

I've heard 10 a month every month or so. 120 so far but could be higher.

R2D2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by R2D2 »

I really hope this is gonna happen. 10 a moth would work for me and it means it would give me a chance too. I have many friends working there and they all love it so i am pretty sure i will like it too and i am planning to stick around so i am just waiting for the call. My application has been in for 2 about months now and i don't want to miss the boat...

:D ...time will tell...

How long does it usually take between the application and the call (considering you have all the minima... and I do)?

prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by prop2jet »

30 have been hired to date this year. Another 30 are slated. No doubt there may be more and that will likely be known later this summer. Word is that some to come from the college program. More news on the college program to be announced at a later date.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

The Jazz award process are beginning now.

oxi

Bang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bang »

When Jazz expect hiring again ?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

We were recently told that hiring was done for the year however we are still losing folks to other airlines and slow retirements for now. Maybe they're trying to prevent being overstaffed come the winter slow down, who knows. Keep your resume updated and in time yours will be the first one looked at. Don't wait to hear that we're hiring before updating.

Bang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bang »

Thanks Teacher !

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

The May course is the last official course of the year. They said the same thing last year and the year before. Both years hiring was once again started up in the fall time (October, I think). A lot of the instructors are on holidays and many of the Vancouver based instructors are deadheading to Toronto to cover the training. It is my guess that after the air Canada requirements come out in August, the hiring committee will decide that they need to hire more pilots this year. We keep hearing that some bases are so short that many days there is little to no reserve coverage. Then again, the whole industry could implode tomorrow.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

I'm going to throw out an opinion that will likely not be popular on here, but alas...

I personally think that we do not require more pilots at Jazz. What we need is better productivity from those already there. I do not see how 19:30 credits on a 4-day pairing makes sense economically for the company. Make the pairings more productive = less pilots required = more company savings (very generally- but that could be expanded upon).

I don't understand how in this day and age, a company of this size does not have a scheduling staff properly equipped to tighten things up.

I almost wonder if they are purposely making things look bad so they have ammunition to proceed with the DH8 common type initiative. But that's another issue.

IMHO

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Canoehead wrote:I'm going to throw out an opinion that will likely not be popular on here, but alas...

I personally think that we do not require more pilots at Jazz. What we need is better productivity from those already there. I do not see how 19:30 credits on a 4-day pairing makes sense economically for the company. Make the pairings more productive = less pilots required = more company savings (very generally- but that could be expanded upon).

I don't understand how in this day and age, a company of this size does not have a scheduling staff properly equipped to tighten things up.

IMHO
We'd all love to see more productive flying but Jazz can only create a schedule from what Air Canada gives them. In this regard I don't blame Jazz one bit. Even some management types have said they're pushing AC for more productive and efficient flying but it's falling on deaf ears. Jazz wants it but AC isn't in any rush, go figure.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I don't agree with that. Air Canada can't be blamed for the pairing quality. The problem is our definition and the companies definition of a quality pairing are quite different.
My day today is a perfect example, I'm about to dead head and then sit for 3 hours and then do a turn. My day is 9 hours, my flying is just over 4. This day sucks for me in terms of productivity. From the company perspective it's ideal. They basically have me at their choice of two airports prime for reassignment for the maximum amount of time without paying me a penny extra.
The company's goal is to have pilots spend as much time at work without paying extra. This gives them a lot of flexibility. As I type this there are multiple crews sitting around at multiple airports ready to be reassigned if necessary at virtually no ost to the company. This is extremely efficient.....for them.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

You need to understand how computer pairing optimisation programs work. They score themselves on efficiency. Guess what a 100% score is? No soft credit. So if a company has a min day credit of 4.00 then the computer gives itself a perfect score for generating trips that are at exactly 4.00 based on the actual scheduled flying time.

Problem here is simple math. in order to cover the flying it will take more pilot work days. The more pilot work days there are the less likely that a pilot will give up any of the sparse days off to do overtime, no matter what the incentive premium. So if you do not have overtime volunteers, then you need more reserve pilots. If you have more bodies on the property, then you have greater overall expense (training, payroll, etc).

WJ figured this out. It is surprising that companies like Jazz and AC have not.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

The average perdiem of the last day of a multi-day pairing is about 50.00 or for that matter a single day pairing.
So lets assume 90% of the pilot group are block holders, 1350 pilots working one less day per month will save the company 810,000.00/yr in per diems, 2 days 1.6 mil, etc...
Now do the same for FAs and just like that, they can save a few million a year for extra bonus, so I'm sure they figured this out and are likely being truthful about the fact that AC needs to tweak the schedule so we can be more effecient. More effecient, would mean less pilots and less per diem.
I would be far more inclined to work some overtime if I wasn't already working 16 days a month, as mentioned by rudder.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

A problem that Jazz/AC have that WJ does not is multiple fleet types. As a result, a city pair may have different equipment at different times or different days. Or city pairs of similar stage lengths are serviced by different equipment types, or in the case of Jazz/AC, different carriers.

The answer of course is to simplify fleet. Once again, WJ has broken the code (soon to be 2 types/2 operators). AC has a domestic network covered by 2 operators (tier III excepted as tier III routes seem to be exclusive to those carriers) that uses up to 6 equipment types. Great flexibility for the commercial department but a nightmare when scoring operational efficiency.

Jazz needs to get to 2 fleet types (1 jet/1 prop) and AC needs to get to just 1 narrowbody fleet type. Less endorsements, less training, less expense, more efficiency. And likely better pairings.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

mbav8r wrote:The average perdiem of the last day of a multi-day pairing is about 50.00 or for that matter a single day pairing.
So lets assume 90% of the pilot group are block holders, 1350 pilots working one less day per month will save the company 810,000.00/yr in per diems, 2 days 1.6 mil, etc...
Now do the same for FAs and just like that, they can save a few million a year for extra bonus, so I'm sure they figured this out and are likely being truthful about the fact that AC needs to tweak the schedule so we can be more effecient. More effecient, would mean less pilots and less per diem.
I would be far more inclined to work some overtime if I wasn't already working 16 days a month, as mentioned by rudder.
They probably find this is a better solution then having even more WDO's required because no crews are waiting around ready to be reassigned. It might even be cheaper.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Forcing everyone to work 16-18 days a month will just lead to more bookoffs. The timebank system is a joke since its only been offered for 2 months this year. Keep the crappy pairings coming, my sick bank is full. :lol:

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

I heard a rumour that offers recently went out for another ground school. I heard this third-hand so don't read much into this. Maybe some of the people who got an offer can add more info - when do you guys start?

cj555
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cj555 »

Lateralus wrote:
There isn't much incentive to stick around if you got hired after February 2006 with the travel passes gone.
Does that mean if you work at Jazz, you have no travel benefits with AC?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”