Flica

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Flica

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Heard that Jazz will be getting the Flica scheduling system (or similar) that is currently being used at Westjet. Wondering when it will be up and running if not already, and how it will work with Jazz.

Would somebody that is based in YYC be able to drop all of their pairings for the month and pick up all YYZ or YHZ (or whatever base you want) pairings to reduce commuting and time away from home. I know alot of WJ guys based on one side of the country and instead of deadheading to YYC to start a pairing, they just pick up a pairing that starts in their home city that will get them to Calgary to continue on the rest of the trip. I know Jazz runs a different operation where they're not flying from one side of the country to the other, so just trying to figure out how it will work. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Flica

Post by mbav8r »

Umm, Hollywood, do you work for Jazz?
I know Jazz runs a different operation where they're not flying from one side of the country to the other, so just trying to figure out how it will work.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that, we fly as far North as Whitehorse or Iqaluit, East to St. Johns NFLD, West to Vancouver and South to Houston. If you mean we don't fly direct from YYZ to YYC, that's true.
To answer two parts of your question, latest I've heard is, Flica to be rolled out in Sept or Oct. Taking way too long if you ask me, considering the designer of Flica is/was a seniority based pilot, so I'm not sure what the hold up is.
The other part is, in theory, you could drop all your YYC flying and pick up all YYZ flying but, there are no guaranties.
My understanding of how it will/should work is, you put your pairings on Flica and once someone accepts it, it's off your line and on theirs. However, I doubt you will be able to pick up flying until yours is picked up, which leaves a gap and could cause you problems.
For me, I intend to use it to drop a leg at the end or beginning of a pairing, ie; first leg is YYC-YWG or vice versa, then hope another YWG commuter needs those legs to get home or to work and also to pick up a leg, to get home or to work.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
~Hollywood~
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ~Hollywood~ »

Umm, Hollywood, do you work for Jazz?
Umm, No
I'm trying to figure out what you mean by that, we fly as far North as Whitehorse or Iqaluit, East to St. Johns NFLD, West to Vancouver and South to Houston. If you mean we don't fly direct from YYZ to YYC, that's true.
Ya I understand as a company you guys operate all over the place. But as a one person, your not going to pick up your Dash in YVR and finish in YYZ.

Just wondering as most of the new hires have been assigned a YYC base, if it would be possible to have the majority if not all your flying out of the Jazz base city of your choice.

Pregnant Flight Attendant = Pilot Error
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

So how is it working out for the picking up and giving up flights. Is it pretty easy. Are there any restrictions?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

You'll have to ask a WJ pilot. The system was supposed to be up and running last year I think. Latest and greatest rumour is fall 2012.

Plim Sole
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Plim Sole »

A MEC member told me face to face in Dec '11 that they are expecting it to be rolled out in Spring '12. I'm going with June '12!
Apparently the problem is our incredibly complicated scheduling rules and also getting Flicka to talk to Sabre.

Thats all I know!

Plim

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Plim Sole wrote:A MEC member told me face to face in Dec '11 that they are expecting it to be rolled out in Spring '12. I'm going with June '12!
Apparently the problem is our incredibly complicated scheduling rules and also getting Flicka to talk to Sabre.

Thats all I know!

Plim
I'll take your MEC member over my rumour :mrgreen:

Plim Sole
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Plim Sole »

I will believe it when I have logged in for the 1st time!! :smt040

Tiny Tyke
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tiny Tyke »

My perception is that the real problem with FLICA for Jazz pilots is the way we get paid.

We get paid at minimum the blocking average for the month in our position. (IE. getting paid 82.5 hours even if you only fly for 80) If you work it out on paper there are a lot of scenarios where you could make trades/drop shifts and it will really throw this system for a loop.

I really want FLICA, but it won't ever be able to ever work correctly with the above concept in place for how we get paid.

Don't get me wrong here, I like FLICA, I like how we get paid, I just think those two concepts aren't compatible.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I'd just like to be compensated for not getting the full potential of my collective agreement. Sorry .. but we've lost out on almost 2 years of a significant lifestyle aspect of our contract.

Plim Sole
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Plim Sole »

+1

I'm pretty sure the union agrees with us!

Singlebogie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Singlebogie »

One or two months on FliCA and you will be amazed at the new flexibility you have in your lives. It is a real game-changer for crew members. Make it happen!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

So do you have Flica now? What about AC itself?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Alot of complications implementing it, we have it, we should be using it over the next few months.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Flica in July ...

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I'll believe it when I see it...

1post
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 1post »

-www.flica.net

-First-time user

-Fill in your details

Voila, not fully operational yet, but you can have a look around

Lateralus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lateralus »

1post wrote:-www.flica.net

-First-time user

-Fill in your details

Voila, not fully operational yet, but you can have a look around

Nice it is up and somewhat running, thanks for the update!

Green Onions
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Green Onions »

I heard one of the reason it took so long to get flica was that they built seniority into it.
If its true all I can say is how greedy can you be... I though this was a shift trade program, not another crack at getting all the good flying!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”