AVCANADA

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: May 6th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 am
Posts: 250
Location: YYZ
Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm
Posts: 57
For the guys in the know, is the hiring at Jazz likely to continue throughout 2013?
There is already a GS planned for April 22nd, yet another is scheduled for May 6th. Are they that desperate?



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm 
Online
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 am
Posts: 72
This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 am 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 am
Posts: 50
Heard a couple of them went to Sunwing. Heard Westjet snagged some also, but not sure of how many or if it was for Encore.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am
Posts: 1659
crj_705 wrote:
This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...


Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 1489
Old fella wrote:
crj_705 wrote:
This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...


Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............


Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:04 am
Posts: 1659
rudder wrote:
Old fella wrote:
crj_705 wrote:
This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...


Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............


Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.



Yup, I can now understand. Back in 1987, I was offered a right seat job at Air Nova and starting salary was just over $20K if my memory serves me correctly(starting $$$ not much better now 26 yrs later). I didn't bite as I had a good executive position, better half had a good job, two small youngins and it would have been a very deep cut of our total income. I was a tad bit older so the lure of an airline,uniform with associated stripes didn't matter much at that time. Progression to left seat would be rapid of course however my salary was better that AN Capt at that time. Also, I might add there was a move involved at my expense. However that is the past........

Personally I don't blame pilots for moving on from airlines like Jazz, Porter et al if money isn't what it should be there and better opportunities exist at major carriers. If Jazz is a stepping-stone airline, well they made themselves one and pilot transition to better money results. Nuff said.

Cheers
:drinkers:



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm
Posts: 1212
crj_705 wrote:
This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...


That many? That's a bit higher then normal, but that confirms the rumor about guys going to Encore/Sky....and yes, Sunwing was in a need of 50 guys "yesterday", many going to Europe for the summer....so sounds about right.

razorblade wrote:
Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)


And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 am
Posts: 250
Location: YYZ
Mig29 wrote:
razorblade wrote:
Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)


And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:


Oh I intend to! :smt040



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 am
Posts: 1865
Location: Ontario
I think a lot of guys would stick around at Jazz if the upgrade times weren't so long. Plus we are down about 12 aircraft (not counting the Thomas Cook experement) from 5 years ago. Pay is decent, plus many other perks like excellent perdiems but the progression within the company is painfully slow.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 am
Posts: 221
Wow, it really sounds like the industry movement and hiring prospects are excellent for low time pilots right now. As someone about to make the jump into aviation, I hope this continues in the foreseeable future. And from what I hear, it seems like it will.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:04 pm 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm
Posts: 1212
cj555,

just to be clear. Lot of these junior FOs leaving (and some captains) have been at Jazz for 5+ years and have significant flying time, which is why Sky and Encore is taking them gladly offering them possibly a left seat. Some are going WJ or Sunwing as well.

Having said that, yes, some are fairly junior guys who have left but I would say majority are as described above.

cheers,
M.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 pm
Posts: 122
Any idea of what the new bids will be for may 06th g/s? I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:11 am
Posts: 1547
Location: Manitoba
Quote:
I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?


Position freeze, yes, but position is not base, if another base opens up on your equipment, you can bid for it. I saw a new hire in the crew room who was awarded YYC, just finished line indoc and is going to YUL base.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 133
Not to mention there is an april 22 course, so bid will most likely changing again after that gs.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:37 pm
Posts: 6
.


Last edited by Sheldoncooper on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am
Posts: 107
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Hey guys,

Same question for the April 22nd gs , any YYC Q400 or even rj spots ?



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 am
Posts: 248
Location: Down in Butlertown
RJ doubtful, Q4, quite possibly


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 pm
Posts: 133
Heard a rumour today (from jazz employee's) that Jazz is still looking to hire another 150 in the near future. Any truth to this? Their original bid at the beginning of the year was i think around 40 spots, APPARENTLY (dont quote me) they have hired over 80 so far this year...


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 am
Posts: 250
Location: YYZ
tdp19 wrote:
(dont quote me)


:lol:



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:38 am
Posts: 245
Any update as to hiring and groundschools for the remainder of the year ?


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crj_705, Ontheroad and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]

For questions/comments please send them to
avcanada@gmail.com


AvCanada Topsites List
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. If you feel a topic or post is inappropriate email us at avcanada@gmail.com .  By reading these forums you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. This website is not responsible or liable in any way for any false or misleading messages or job ads placed at our site. 

Use AvCanada's information at your own risk!

We reserve the right to remove any messages that we deem unacceptable.
When you post a message, your IP is logged and may be provided to concerned parties where unethical or illegal behavior is apparent. All rights reserved.