AVCANADA

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:12 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: May 6th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:10 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Just got the call.. See you guys May 6 :)

Post subject: Re: May 6th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

For the guys in the know, is the hiring at Jazz likely to continue throughout 2013?
There is already a GS planned for April 22nd, yet another is scheduled for May 6th. Are they that desperate?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

This just in from FLT OPS...

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Heard a couple of them went to Sunwing. Heard Westjet snagged some also, but not sure of how many or if it was for Encore.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:30 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

crj_705 wrote:

"We have lost 25 pilots in the last 3-4 weeks" so, based on those numbers; one can assume that they will be running courses concurrently until the void is filled...

Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Old fella wrote:
crj_705 wrote:

Pardon my ignorance about airline flying as I never worked with one, but that(25 pilots in 3-4 weeks)) seems to be excessive bail outs especially from one particular company(Jazz). All airlines loose pilots for many reasons besides dismissed/medical but that appears to be quite large...............

Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

rudder wrote:
Old fella wrote:
crj_705 wrote:

Emirates
Qatar
Cathay
AC
WJ
SW
CJ
SKY
Encore

More opportunity now for pilots to move than there has been in years. On a relative basis (25/1500) it is not significant particularly if hiring/training is planned out in front of the anticipated attrition curve. There are smaller carriers (Porter) that are seeing attrition at relative rates that may affect ability to meet operational requirements. It does however make a statement about how Jazz is viewed as a 'stepping stone' airline, particularly for younger pilots. I understand that the Jazz interview/hiring experience levels have dropped significantly.

Yup, I can now understand. Back in 1987, I was offered a right seat job at Air Nova and starting salary was just over $20K if my memory serves me correctly(starting $$$ not much better now 26 yrs later). I didn't bite as I had a good executive position, better half had a good job, two small youngins and it would have been a very deep cut of our total income. I was a tad bit older so the lure of an airline,uniform with associated stripes didn't matter much at that time. Progression to left seat would be rapid of course however my salary was better that AN Capt at that time. Also, I might add there was a move involved at my expense. However that is the past........

Personally I don't blame pilots for moving on from airlines like Jazz, Porter et al if money isn't what it should be there and better opportunities exist at major carriers. If Jazz is a stepping-stone airline, well they made themselves one and pilot transition to better money results. Nuff said.

Cheers
:drinkers:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:05 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

crj_705 wrote:

That many? That's a bit higher then normal, but that confirms the rumor about guys going to Encore/Sky....and yes, Sunwing was in a need of 50 guys "yesterday", many going to Europe for the summer....so sounds about right.

razorblade wrote:

And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:54 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Mig29 wrote:
razorblade wrote:

And to you razorblade, good luck I hope you enjoy the new job! :wink:

Oh I intend to! :smt040

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I think a lot of guys would stick around at Jazz if the upgrade times weren't so long. Plus we are down about 12 aircraft (not counting the Thomas Cook experement) from 5 years ago. Pay is decent, plus many other perks like excellent perdiems but the progression within the company is painfully slow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Wow, it really sounds like the industry movement and hiring prospects are excellent for low time pilots right now. As someone about to make the jump into aviation, I hope this continues in the foreseeable future. And from what I hear, it seems like it will.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:04 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

cj555,

just to be clear. Lot of these junior FOs leaving (and some captains) have been at Jazz for 5+ years and have significant flying time, which is why Sky and Encore is taking them gladly offering them possibly a left seat. Some are going WJ or Sunwing as well.

Having said that, yes, some are fairly junior guys who have left but I would say majority are as described above.

cheers,
M.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Any idea of what the new bids will be for may 06th g/s? I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Quote:
I know there were a lot of guys sent to calgary so far in 2013, do they have a position freeze?

Position freeze, yes, but position is not base, if another base opens up on your equipment, you can bid for it. I saw a new hire in the crew room who was awarded YYC, just finished line indoc and is going to YUL base.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Not to mention there is an april 22 course, so bid will most likely changing again after that gs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Last edited by Sheldoncooper on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hey guys,

Same question for the April 22nd gs , any YYC Q400 or even rj spots ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

RJ doubtful, Q4, quite possibly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Heard a rumour today (from jazz employee's) that Jazz is still looking to hire another 150 in the near future. Any truth to this? Their original bid at the beginning of the year was i think around 40 spots, APPARENTLY (dont quote me) they have hired over 80 so far this year...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

tdp19 wrote:
(dont quote me)

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:40 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Any update as to hiring and groundschools for the remainder of the year ?