Saskatoon overrun?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Saskatoon overrun?

Post by Impact »

CADORS

Narrative:

A Jazz Aviation de Havilland DHC 8-402 (JZA8588 / C-GGNF) from Calgary, AB (CYYC) to Saskatoon, SK (CYXE) landed runway 09 and reported they had taxied off the hard surface while exiting on Foxtrot. The aircraft came to rest in grass within 100ft of runway 09. Runway 09/27 was closed until 0646Z. A Transwest Air Beech A100 (C-GJHW) medevac on approach runway 09 was placed in a missed approach. C-GJHW then diverted to Prince Albert (CYPA) due approach limit minimums on for runway 15/33. Several other aircraft placed in holds or diverted due to low visibility and approach limits for 15/33.
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: Saskatoon overrun?

Post by esp803 »

Impact
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Impact »

Thanks esp803. I posted that here for a reason. I'd like to get some direct input from some of our friends at Jazz about this incident.

Don't mean to dig up old posts or to stir the pot, but we all knew that this little gem would come back to bite somebody in the ass:

anonymity quote: "You get what you pay for."

Anyone from Jazz care to comment? Do Jazz pilots need raises? :)

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Don't feed the troll :roll:

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Am I the only one who finds his alias "Impact" strangely funny? Lol!

I think he's a future GGN RJ pilot!

Cpt_frog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cpt_frog »

Impact...

You ignorant fool.....
Though youre innocence is as cute as a 5 year old...

Good luck in your career....

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

A Jazz de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration C-GGNF performing flight QK-8588 from Calgary,AB to Saskatoon,SK (Canada ) with 52 people on board, landed on Saskatoon's runway 27 touching down 1000 feet down the runway within the touch down zone and slowed to taxi speed. Planning to vacate the runway at taxiway A at the end of the runway the crew continued taxi along the runway, but when they attempted to turn onto taxiway A the aircraft did not respond to steering and braking inputs. The aircraft overran the end of the runway at about 20 knots and came to a stop about 50 feet past the runway end in about 1.5 feet high snow. There were no injuries, the crew advised tower and shut the aircraft down.

Responding emergency services needed to clear the snow around the aircraft, then the passengers disembarked and were bussed to the terminal. The aircraft was subsequently towed to the apron.

The runway was closed for abotu 6:45 hours.

The Canadian TSB reported that a maintenance inspection did not identify any damage to the aircraft. ATIS at the time of the landing indicated a Canadian Runway Friction Index of 0.52 (braking action medium to good), however, after the occurrence an area of ice with poor braking action was spotted at the end of runway 27 in vicinity of taxiway A.

No similarities to the North Bay over run. This was bad luck. A few aircraft did the same thing in YYZ Monday during the worst of the weather exiting runways or trying to turn on taxi ways.

http://avherald.com/h?article=46e51664&opt=0

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

20 knts turn on dry pavement is interesting in the best conditions! :rolleyes:

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Localizer wrote:Am I the only one who finds his alias "Impact" strangely funny? Lol!

I think he's a future GGN RJ pilot!

Oh for heaven's sake grow up :roll:

Nothing more childish than comments like this where you, in poor taste, insult another group of pilots.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

LOL! I guess we're all business no fun here ... what's the world coming to these days. If you can't take a little poke from time to time then maybe you shouldn't visit the web-board. Considering I was giving a poke to someone with the obvious intentions of sticking a finger in an eye ... I consider it justified.

Moving on ..

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Squid, the runway was reported as .52, they missed the first exit, at around 20 knots and I'm assuming a few hundred feet to go, the brakes were applied and that was when they discovered the ice. I don't believe they were attempting a turn at 20 knots, that is when they attempted to slow down for the exit.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

mbav8r wrote:Squid, the runway was reported as .52, they missed the first exit, at around 20 knots and I'm assuming a few hundred feet to go, the brakes were applied and that was when they discovered the ice.
Are you suggesting the cador is incorrect? If not, you should re-read it. Touchdown on runway 27, with a planned exit at "A".

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

I'm having an issue understanding the problem here? An airplane landed on a runway with a reported good runway (.52), the aircraft attempted to exit the runway at "F" but decided to exit at the end "A". The end of the runway was apparently icy and no reports indicate anyone knew this, now a Dash 8 making a turn at 20 kts is nothing drastic or unusual as the wide wheel base makes the turns smooth and little side loading. With that said, it doesn't mean the crew was attempting to exit at that speed, we don't know where they hit the ice or the taxi speed at the time they hit it. What's the slope or grade at the end of that runway? Lots of factors that could have caused this ... Truth is it sounds like a bit of bad luck.

matrix
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by matrix »

The RSC NOTAM for that night said "Runway Buttons Slippery" for both 09 and 27

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Localizer wrote:I'm having an issue understanding the problem here? An airplane landed on a runway with a reported good runway (.52), the aircraft attempted to exit the runway at "F" but decided to exit at the end "A".
They planned on landing runway 27 and exiting at "F"?

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I believe the notam was issued after the overrun, not sure, but I believe that is the case.

El Comat
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by El Comat »

We landed (WJ 737) right before the Q400 and had no problem stopping in about 5500', so if they were planning on exiting at the end, they probably assumed the braking would be just as good where they were planning to exit as it was on the runway (fair assumption). Looks like a case of "not quite as advertised", and I don't think there was any carelessness involved. I don't remember seeing that "slippery rwy ends" NOTAM when were inbound either. just some bad luck on their part. No Jazz bashing necessary.

EC

vanishing point
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by vanishing point »

FWIW, the Q400 came to a stop off taxiway F. A friend sent me photos taken by the media of the aircraft. It clearly shows the signage for taxiway F.

I see no reason to doubt the CADORS is correct as to landing runway as it would make no sense to land on 27 and execute a full back-track.....unless all other taxiways were closed.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”