Renegotiating with Air Canada

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Renegotiating with Air Canada

Post by hithere »

How is it that the ACPA membership gets email updates about negotiations that affect Jazz yet the Jazz pilots are completely in the dark? Despite our pleas for information the Jazz pilots are told that ALPA has signed non disclosure agreements that prevent them from divulging even the most basic information about the informal talks that are going on between AC/ACPA/JAZZ/ALPA. We were told that all parties signed the NDA. Yet ACPA continues to provide these email updates. I also saw the memo from the ACPA scope committee a while back that gave more information than I thought possible under a NDA. Also, The FOS already allowed for a significant increase in 76 seats and under flying at the regionals, so why was this considered a hurdle?
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Hithere,

ACPA isn't involved in any talks or negotiations that involve ALPA Jazz or Chorus.

My guess is what falls out of the ACPA/AC negots, is centre to the Jazz/Chorus/AC negots. That would be your unions decision on how to deal with it.

I think the openness from ACPA is out of a TA1 repeat fear.

FWIW there was also a scope webinar which went even deeper. I missed it but watched it on the ACPA site after. It looks to me that the 29:100 ratio is problematic for AC. It showed AC could get only about 16 more 76 seat aircraft before running into the ratio.

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

hithere wrote:How is it that the ACPA membership gets email updates about negotiations that affect Jazz yet the Jazz pilots are completely in the dark? Despite our pleas for information the Jazz pilots are told that ALPA has signed non disclosure agreements that prevent them from divulging even the most basic information about the informal talks that are going on between AC/ACPA/JAZZ/ALPA. We were told that all parties signed the NDA. Yet ACPA continues to provide these email updates. I also saw the memo from the ACPA scope committee a while back that gave more information than I thought possible under a NDA. Also, The FOS already allowed for a significant increase in 76 seats and under flying at the regionals, so why was this considered a hurdle?
To be frank.....all tier II flying, be it Chorus, Georgian or SR, was ACPA flying that was either negotiated away, arbitrated away, or lost through restructuring. The size of aircraft, and the number of aircraft at tier II is restricted by Article One in the Air Canada Pilots Association collective agreement....which means Air Canada pilots have a direct say in how many aircraft are at the regionals, how big the are, and how their aircraft are powered. ACPA is currently concluding Negots that could drastically alter the CPA ratio. In fact, rumour has it that the ratio restricting the size of the CPA providers may be dumped altogether. The result of this agreement will likely be a serious positive for the Regional carriers, as Calin has an interest in drastically increasing feed to the Mainline to support proposed Widebody growth.

The results of these negotiations should be known by the end of the week. Standby.

DP.

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

Fanblade wrote:Rumour has it that ACPA has a TA with Air Canada that will allow a dramatic increase in the amount to 76 seat aircraft flown at the Regionals.

I wasn't given any specifics. Just reassured that all flying above 76 seats remains at mainline.

But is that not for transborder feeder traffic. I thought they were looking at US regionals for that flying?

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

There is no money in domestic flying. CR knows that. The big money is in international. BUT to fill the planes going overseas AC needs a regional carrier. One that is stable, reliable and provides a top tier product that can do it cheaper than AC (and it's competitors). It's the way the industry has been going since deregulation. Ticket prices are not going up but costs from fuel to planes have gone up many times over.

I think we are going to see it soon with pluses for all parties involved. There will be some give and take but from a business prospective I think it will be a good deal. Isn't the best deal the one where nobody is happy?

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

With respect to "no one being happy" with the pending deal, I assure you that the ACPA Membership at large will be very happy. Since our contract or FOS arbitrated "agreement" is currently closed, we have zero obligation to sign anything that isn't a great deal. Most of us would happily wait till 2016.

The devil will be in the details, and we intend to scrutinize them very closely.

DP.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

snowcone wrote:
Fanblade wrote:Rumour has it that ACPA has a TA with Air Canada that will allow a dramatic increase in the amount to 76 seat aircraft flown at the Regionals.

I wasn't given any specifics. Just reassured that all flying above 76 seats remains at mainline.

But is that not for transborder feeder traffic. I thought they were looking at US regionals for that flying?
I really have no idea where these aircraft may go.

The impression I am getting ( I stress impression) is that AC wants to up gauge it's entire regional network. Bye bye to the -8/100/300 and crj/100/200.

I have my doubts a US regional could be used in any substantial way because of the language laws applying to Air Canada. Out west I suppose. But out east? Doubt it.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

[quote="teacher"]BUT to fill the planes going overseas AC needs a regional carrier. One that is stable, reliable and provides a top tier product that can do it cheaper than AC (and it's competitors). It's the way the industry has been going since deregulation[/quote]

I disagree. Initially the idea was to simply do the work cheaper than mainline. Comair and Eagle are good examples. Today the CPA providers must be cost competitive with other CPA providers.

The whole point behind AC's regional diversification strategy is to create an environment of competition for the work. The second competition enters the equation only one body will benefit. That is he who holds the purse strings. Everyone else loses.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

If it saves air canada $100 over 5 years they will continue to move flying to Sky Regional

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Fanblade wrote:Your right. There is no TA. We just got an email stating its getting close and details will be shared when able.

That's what happens when you post rumours. My bad :lol:

It appears a crucial “hurdle" was cleared. What ever that means
It must have just happened this week then because I read a memo from Sept 17th, pretty much saying that talks fell apart primarily due to scope?

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

Talks are back on. They never stopped. Bit of posturing was all.

DP.

Calinrobandfistyou
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calinrobandfistyou »

What's the latest? Any updates?

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

The car has been ordered, and the "base price" agreed to.

Diamond Coat, undercoat, floor mats, mud flaps, bra, pine air freshener, and the box of melons......... to be negotiated.

May take a bit, especially the melon negots....... but the basics are covered.

DP.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

Calin Robandfistyou
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Calin Robandfistyou »

From a Jazz pilots point of view, what do you think of the proposed ACPA TA just released?

-Props now scoped to 80 seats
-Jets scoped to 76 seats
-EMJ staying at mainline
-no mention of flow thru

Only positive is the "potential" for growth, however I fear it will all be at Sky and Georgian.

Hopefully our ALPA boys can hammer out a flow thru soon. What would you want to see in a flow thru agreement?

Personally I'd like to see:
-up to 5 years of service brought over for pay/ vacation purposes
-keep your jazz seniority number for pass travel
-seniority numbers given to all jazz pilots regardless of whether or not they flow over so that we will be ahead of new hires off the street to mainline if we do decide to stay at Jazz a couple extra years, no rush to go ASAP. Same as What Encore has.

Radiocaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Radiocaster »

I think the only thing ovious now, is that there will be an expansion of 76 seat jet inside the Express brand. The big question now is do you go with CRJ 705 or Embraer 175. The rapidity at wich you want the aircrafts on the line will be important. Because I beleive the backlog at Bombardier is a lot less than the one at Embraer. But 10 years seem like they have time to evaluate stuff.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

I think we need to get our heads out of our asses and stop dreaming about this flow-through crap. It's not gonna happen, and with another 10 years with a guaranteed max of 76 seats only, there's no new EMJs/ 319s/ 737s at Jazz. Something's gonna happen, and it's not going to be good for us (Jazz).

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

razorblade wrote:I think we need to get our heads out of our asses and stop dreaming about this flow-through crap. It's not gonna happen, and with another 10 years with a guaranteed max of 76 seats only, there's no new EMJs/ 319s/ 737s at Jazz. Something's gonna happen, and it's not going to be good for us (Jazz).
Not necessarily. I do however think that flow a through with add ons would be tough to achieve.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

Where did this flow through talk start from? Is it a dream of a few pilots sparking rumours? I've heard a few pilots talking about it now...from an outsider, doesn't seem like something that would ever be on the table.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Krimson wrote:Where did this flow through talk start from? Is it a dream of a few pilots sparking rumours.
Exactly. Someone thought it would be good for them, and they built it up and spread the rumour.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”