Where to do a homebuilt project in the Toronto area?

Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GlenP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where to do a homebuilt project in the Toronto area?

Post by GlenP »

I'm thinking about starting an RV-7 project. We live in a condo in the Beaches area of Toronto so it won't be happening at home. My first thought was to try to rent a nearby garage or workshop to cut down on driving time. The more I think about that the more I think that it would be very isolating. It might be worth the drive to be near other homebuilders. We're about an hour from Oshawa, just under an hour from Brampton and 1:20 from Stoney Creek. I realize that drives like that make it impractical to work on the project for short periods but I'd often be able to devote full days to it so maybe that's not such a big deal. Do you think it would be worth the drive? Which place would you choose? I appreciate the advice.
Glen
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Where to do a homebuilt project in the Toronto area?

Post by AirFrame »

Honestly? It's hard enough to find time to work on a project when it's in your own basement. Still, most of the builders I have talked to agree that if you aren't building at home (or at best in a workshop in your back yard), you'll either never finish it, or it'll take bloody ages to finish it and you'll risk getting tired of it and quitting. Don't get a hangar at the local airport to build in, the never-ending stream of looky-loos will also slow you down considerably.

I've known someone who built an airplane in the living room of his 12th floor apartment. Once wings and fuselage were complete, they were lowered off the balcony to a trailer waiting on the ground.

Can you work on your plane during the day mostly? Maybe a condo isn't a bad fit. If your immediately adjacent neighbours have day jobs and are away anyway, few people will hear it, and those who do may assume it's just you renovating your condo.

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

What he said ^ ^

If you're one of the rare people who can stay motivated on a project forever with little help then kudos to you, you're a wizard. If you're like the rest of us then there comes a point when you feel your subconscious looking for any reason to get lazy, and having to drive to work on your project can be a huge motivation killer when you get into one of those ruts.

Once my mortgage is paid off I'm also looking to join the homebuilt world, either with an RV-10 or Velocity, and aside from paying for the darn thing one of my biggest concerns is how it'll fit into my garage. I have a small airport 1.5 km away but would really rather not have to work on it there.

The only case I've seen where people commute a serious distance to their project is when it's being worked on by a contracted builder and you're going there to put in your time.

With regards to isolation, I think a lot of builder find a sense of community from the online forums these days. Vans Air Force is a huge group and everyone there will cheer you on.

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I agree that if you aren't close to the project you will most likely not finish it. It needs to be in your face to be able to maintain the momentum. I found that I had to commit to a minimum of 20 minutes a day to mine. Some days it was just sweeping and cleaning up but I did finish 6 1/2 years later. The other thing is to make sure the rest of your family is on board with this.

Regards,

Jim

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Getting and keeping your family on board may also be easier if the project is closer to home.
Ours was in the garage and we could easily come and go to the house for dinner or to put kid to bed. Also easier to involve the family and have that extra pair of hands that you will need now and then.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

GlenP, I suggest you visit the possible airports and find out exactly how active they are regarding actual aircraft under construction. That will give some indication of the availability of contact and assistance when you are there. Secondly, find out what type is being built . Although Vans is certainly dominant in most instances, it would be very nice if you found an airport where at least one other person was building a 7 as well. A bit of time researching beforehand may well make the difference between getting the kit done or not.

The support from family thing is really important and not just for the extra hands. Also motivation and encouragement to keep at it and not let it languish. If your family is lukewarm to it they won't necessarily scuttle your efforts but will definitely make it easy for you to forgo the day away at the airport and spend it with them instead.

Also, keep in mind that while you're being a builder, it's very hard to also be a pilot. If your days off are spent building - and if you really commit to the "at the airport" plan they will be - there isn't much time left to fly.

But anything you do requires compromise and there are pros and cons to any approach. Best of luck!!!

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You can put a Onex together in a single garage- I'm planning to build one in Toronto next year.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
GlenP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GlenP »

Lots of great advice. Thanks very much, guys.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote:You can put a Onex together in a single garage- I'm planning to build one in Toronto next year.
A Sub-Sonex would probably fit too... Shorter wings as well... :)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

yes, but they're quite pricey. Also my local airport CYTZ doesn't permit jets :D

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

photofly wrote:yes, but they're quite pricey. Also my local airport CYTZ doesn't permit jets :D
Just throw medevac on your call sign.

Return to “Homebuilders”