Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: RV-8

Post by Adam Oke »

Right Elevator

Left Elevator

Rudder Skin Intenal

I do plan on deviating a bit from the plans for the trim tab. If you take a look at the left elevator, inboard where the trim tab will be, there are "tabs" that need to be bent 90 degrees inwards, and blind riveted. I plan on cutting those off and bucking a "riblet" in there. Guys are having a lot of trouble with this simple bend and are cracking the skins -- I will avoid this issue all together this way. The trim tab end ribs as per plans are done the same way, with 2 90 degree bends where the skin overlaps and it is to be blind riveted ... again, I ordered some extra ribs to create riblets so as to avoid having to re-build a trim tab.
---------- ADS -----------

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Adam: it looks like you're moving along, even with all the interruptions! I'm hoping to have my RV-7A in the air by Spring.

John

TheRedPages
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheRedPages »

Mr Oake, thanks for the updates. I've been a fan of the RV 8 for a long time, especially the dual baggage space and long range tank option as well as the ease of construction, so this spring I bought the preview plans, got my builders number, ordered the tool box and aileron practice kits and started to collect tools. Short of a suitable compressor, some riveting tools I am almost ready for the tail kit this spring.

For speed, range and simplicity I'm going with a fixed pitch prop, tip tanks and glass.

Before I buy I would like to fly, as well as have some support in my home province. I plan to take the trip to the factory and fly the demo this winter but if there are any Alberta based RV-8 owners who would like some free gas and have some time to chat about your build, I would love to meet up. There is no better info than info form another builder. Hopefully I can avoid a couple of the typical rookie mistakes.

Fly safe

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Since I bought a house, I have had a slight shift in priorities. I am selling the kit and tools to finish the basement! PM me for details if anyone is interested.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Adam Oke wrote:Since I bought a house, I have had a slight shift in priorities. I am selling the kit and tools to finish the basement! PM me for details if anyone is interested.
If you leave the basement unfinished, you'll have a workshop to finish the airplane... Priorities, man! :)

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

When I saw new posts down here I thought of you, then found it was you and was excited.

:( I be sad now. I'd like it but have no shop, just a finished basement. I hope it finds a good new home. I will alert you if things change and I realize I need it.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Well I'll have to be the one to say good decision Adam. With the price of fuel, the cost of aircraft engines, and the uncertainty of the future of both, I'd say you've made a sound financial call. As you're probably discovering trying to sell the tools and kit, you can never get the money out of an aircraft that you put into it.

So many airplanes out there not being flown enough, find one of them and fly that or just rent from the local school.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Thanks guy! Between work planes and the boss's ~10 (depending on the year) private planes that we get to play with, I have many fun planes to fly for recreational purposes. I also don't see leaving the cadet gliding program any time soon ... that is one hobby that I thoroughly enjoy as well. Now that I'm well established in the industry, I now know that there will always planes available to play with ... even when you are not looking! For the amount of flying that I do in the off season, ownership would not be a reasonable option.

I learned a TON working on this project, and I still find joy in tinking away at it. Many of the skills gained are transferable, and I do not regret investing the time and money into the project! I now am looking at the long term of how I will keep sinking money into it over the years ... maybe I'll fire up another project when I'm free and clear of a mortgage :mrgreen:

Nice to see so many followers! Buy my project, so I can follow you!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Adam Oke wrote:Buy my project, so I can follow you!
Last year I bought a small mig welding machine to play with. It still has a plastic thing you have to cut off before you can plug it in, intact.

I did take the family fishing lots so at least I'm not wasting all my time, but still between having a paying gig and the housework I neglect to help do well, time for a project is lacking.

I will try to ask around if anyone is interested. Maybe I can find someone near me who likes building planes more than flying them.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Here's a taxi test of an RV-8R for those that would like to see one run.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Hey PnF - I didn't know there were palm trees in front of the hangars in Calgary?!?

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

There could have been last week. Phew, warm. I was so excited to watch the plane I missed where it actually was.

Return to “Homebuilders”