Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Northernboy70
Rank 0
Rank 0

Builders in Northern Ontario

Post by Northernboy70 »

Hello,

I am wondering if there are any builders on this forum in Northern Ontario? I am looking into building my first kit and would like to know if anyone in the area I could talk to or meet for some assistance and questions.

Thanks
PM
---------- ADS -----------

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Builders in Northern Ontario

Post by 185_guy »

If you are near Timmins, there is an EAA chapter/COPA flight here and there are a few active builders here. In fact, the guy around the corner from me has an RV-9 under way in his garage!

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

What are you calling Northern? Thunder Bay is North Western but there have been many planes built here, although there is no active EAA local. Nor an active COPA flight either. Takes volunteers and these days, it seems volunteering is falling down the list of should do's. But if you can find some of the builders, they are a great bunch and eager to help someone out venturing into the world. I am not a builder but am friends with some.

Good luck

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I'm a builder in Thunder Bay and can confirm aviation SUCKS the big one here now! There are a few builders around here and the outlying areas. My plane is going out to the airport as soon as the strip is dry for final inspection and first flight. If you need anything answered or some advice send me a PM!

Cheers

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

Ditto that on the homebuilding in Thunder Bay. Seems there are a lot of great builders around here but you've got to find them.....

Just finishing up my Aircam and I'm currently waiting on my C of R from Transport Canada. They say 4 to 6 weeks. Then my MD-RA final inspection.

Anyone have some insight on how long all the paperwork back and forth takes? i'm getting anxious since the Aircam is open cockpit and it will get pretty cool in the cockpit come September/October....

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Hey Mosky,

I heard about your build from Dan (MD-RA Dude here) and he was looking forward to inspecting it. CofR was pretty quick. Took me maybe a couple of weeks...

Took me five weeks to get my CofA after the final... :(.

There was a snafu on the paperwork (not my fault) which caused a delay and the submission has to be peer reviewed by another inspector who happened to be in Oshkosh when the paperwork went back. Lucked out and MD-RA office was able to text him in Osh and he emailed me the paperwork so I could get airborne....

If you don't have any fixes that needs done and no paperwork issues it should take 2 or 3 (3 likely) weeks to get your c of a. I flew mine for the first time last week and it was AWESOME. Drop me a pm if you have any questions. I'd love to see your aircam!

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

Thanks for the info. i'm hoping for the quick turn on the paperwork but we'll see. Not very encouraging when their 'service standard' says 7 to 60 (?!) days for the turnaround. Hoping for the 7 but we'll see.

Will be basing the Aircam out at our camp (cottage) at Shebandowan so any time you want to come out and see let me know. Once you get the floats under yours you can fly out and visit - even better! Be interested to see yours as well as it was one of the airplanes I had seriously considered before I picked the aircam. Still trying to decide what my second offense (build) may be....

Thanks for the offer for information and if I come up against something else I'll drop you a line. i'm sure you'll be busy for the next while flying off your 25 hours. Lucky you! Hoping i can get mine started before September before it gets too cold outside. Open cockpit is nice in July/August. Not sure how I'll be liking it come September/October.....

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

The Aircam has tons of room, all you need is a full face helmet and a decent jacket and you can fly up until late November! :smt040 I've seen the videos of that thing in action, and it seems insane what it can do. The view sure can't be beat that's for sure.

I'm out in Kakabeka on Hangar Lot #5 if you ever get out that way, I'm there most week-ends now. The Canadian $ has tanked so I might put off getting the floats until it improves since the float kits from Zen are all US $ priced.

Thinking of starting my next build this winter instead. Going to be a Hummel H5 and toying with the idea of putting a Garret JFS100-13 turbine on it! :shock: A pure "Shits and Giggles" plane for sure but the 12 gal. an hour burn would be worth it just for the sound! :rolleyes:

Cheers

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

So far so good.
Got my C of A back from Transport Canada in a week and two days. Very impressed with the quick turn around on that.

Just got my final inspection signed of from Dan from MD-RA today so now I wait to get the C of A.....

Hopefully it will be a quick turn on that and then i can fly!

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

Got my C of A last week in what is probably record time!
May have helped that i incessantly hounded the inspector's reviewer.

Phil Lockwood in town today and first flight tomorrow.

Woo Hoo!

Return to “Homebuilders”