Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Installed my engine recently!!

Post by Taiser »

WOOT, getting there.

Here's a shot of the engine install on my homebuilt.

Currently finishing the second wing so all the major components will be done soon. Then I start working on the glass panel!! :smt040

I can upload more photos if anyone is interested in the build!
---------- ADS -----------

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Installed my engine recently!!

Post by Adam Oke »

Congrats on the milestone! The project is looking good!

What kind of plane is that? Is it kit, quick, or scratch built??

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

It's a Zenith CH750. Regular kit with some custom mods I'm putting on it. STOL takes off in 100 feet, gross weight 1440 lbs. Just finished the second wing today! :D

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

Those are pretty neat planes and look like a lot of fun. I have seen a 701 where the guy took the leading edge slats off. I asked him why and he said it made no difference in his landing speed at all but cut down drag in cruise.

Are you getting floats for it?

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

You can fly it with the slats off. The slats on the 701 and 750 allows your approach to be steeper than without. Helps in tight areas. It also makes the stall a higher angle of attack as well, if you can describe it as that...it really just mushes into a nose down attitude when it stalls. The tail design is an upside down airfoil design and it pulls down on the rear. The entire design is for great low speed control. I'm putting VG's on the tail as well, depending on final weight it should stall in the high 20's.

I don't think I would fly it without the slats, they don't weight much and I'm putting a couple of LED landing lights in them, one on each side.

The wings are INSANELY thick...I have a buddy who I'm helping with his Stinson rebuild, it was damaged by hail, and his wings are at least THREE times thinner than mine...couldn't believe what my ribs looked like when I got the kit...

Here's a shot of one of the wings during construction...

Yeah I'm putting amphib floats on it once it's done as well. :) Zenith has a kit for them.

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

It's looking good Taiser. All metal construction is a plus for sure.

Takman74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Takman74 »

Nicely done!! Looking good. I have a friend whos building the same aircraft and we are not too far away from you. His has a jabiru 3300 on the nose. He's currently at the 80% complete 80% to go stage. They are an absolute ball to fly. Great job!!

Tom

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

O-235? I thought most of these were Rotax 912s. The STOL performance of these aircraft has always intrigued me.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

The airframe was designed for a large variety of engines...most popular are the O-200's, Rotax 912, Jabirus, O-235's, Honda Vikings and Corvairs. I was going to put a Viking on it, which looks and performs GREAT but I'm waiting for the final verdict on it and it takes a while to get the engine itself. Best compromise for me was an O-200 or 235. I found a 235 first and the fact that they are easy to work on, have a high TBO and parts are plentiful helped my decision quite a bit. :D

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

I have a project log going on here...

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forum ... build.html

...with tons of photos! In case anyone is interested in my build! :D

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Well my own project is finally starting to come back together. Took the wings off to repaint them and three months and many repairs later I'm actually painting them. I've decided to redo all the wires in the wings, but when I calculate the wire gauge it seems pretty beefy. I'm planning on:

Nav lights: 16 gauge
Landing light (very small, I'll post wattage tomorrow but it's not much): 14 gauge
Pitot heat: 10 gauge

I've got 24 foot wings so it's a pretty long run, how long are your wings and what gauge wire are you putting in Taiser.

On a side note, I met Chris Heintz in Oshkosh a couple times. Very interesting guy, especially his lecture on pop rivets. I recall he had brought in one of his new designs to the float base and someone in the audience asked him about his decision to put a three blade prop on it and did it help to pull the bird out of the water. His answer: "Ze tree bladed propellar makes abzolutely no difrence in performance to ze tooo bladed propellar, but looks veeerry good on ze little air-crrraft."

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

My wings are about 12 feet each. Ran shielded 3 wire to each strobe. It's 20 gauge but. My strobes are very low power led. 18 gauge going to the landing lights which are led as well but I'm sure i could use the three wire there as well...but it's damn expensive and not needed due to the short run. Still can't believe how bright the little suckers are! I agree with Chris. I read about two vs three blade props and think the three blades look way nicer...so that's what I'm putting on as well! :mrgreen:

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Panel's getting there...

Still have to install the trim controls and display, radios and some other odd switches and such, but the end is in sight...at least panel wise! :shock:

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

April 05, 2013

You've really done nice work.
Looks great.

Your "Project Log" is excellent.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Decided to "redo" my panel. I got a Aera GPS and with the airgizmo installed I did not have enough room for all the steam gauges I wanted. I also wanted to make a subpanel so I had access to the area behind the panel, if needed. Problem with the current set up is that once the top of the panel is riveted on, the only access is from underneath, which is really tight to say the least!!! :shock:

Now I have to start cleaning up the nightmare wiring behind the panel!! :D

Here's a crappy photo of the "new" layout! Still a few switches and indicators to add but this is basically the final look the panel will have...

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Wings are on!!! It's getting real folks.... :shock:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Looking good, I'd need a bit better lumbar support in the seats. :P

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Seats came in (no more lumbar support issues!) :) , wings are installed, panel is 99% done! Now all the tedious wiring is being done. Installed the landing lights (LED's with wig wag capability in each slat), navigation lights, strobes, radios, trim switches, intercom and a bunch of other junk. Couple of photos...

PTT switch in stick. One on each side.

Nightmare wiring behind panel that has to be eventually cleaned up! :(

LED landing light kit. Bought two. About 400$ each but still cheaper than a certified setup.!

Landing light being fitted into slat.

Struts and jury struts installed! :)

Close up of jury strut.

More money being spent. Interior upholstery came in. Seats being trial fitted. I must say they are pretty comfy. Can now spend some time sitting in cockpit and making airplane noises! :smt040

Few other switches and connections to do, have to wire in ELT. Instead of painting panel I'm putting in a carbon fiber looking vinyl. They are incredibly tough and look great.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

Nov 09, 2013

Taiser

It sure is looking nice.
Thanks for the photo update.

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Upper panel finally done!!! Some gauges look crooked because they are not fully bolted in yet pending some wiring adjustments to be done.

Now working on lower center console, and it's a royal PITA.. but getting there! :smt040

Return to “Homebuilders”