Share ideas on building aircraft.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Flying an RV-9A

Post by 185_guy »

Good day,
I'll soon have the pleasure of flying an RV-9A for a local fellow. He has been for a ride in another RV series plane but I have not.
Does anyone with any experience in the RV line have any hints, tricks or insight to flying this great looking ship?! Again, this one is the RV 9A trike.
I'd look forward to hearing some experiences, and if anyone was willing i'd love to talk about it!!
---------- ADS -----------

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Flying an RV-9A

Post by Adam Oke »

I have no experience flying them...merely building an ass end of an 8 and a bit of reading. Just be easy on that nose wheel!! Those A models have a wretched history for the nose gear collapsing. Lot's of guys also tend to leave the flaps down when parked so that no one will step on them.

My $0.01, and they don't even make pennies any more so it is what it is! :wink: Enjoy!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think he's busy working to buy an engine.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Busy working to buy wings! I'm hoping to buy those this winter. My season is about to wrap up here in the next couple weeks, so I will be heading home to get back to work. Hopefully more pictures up soon...what I'm really hoping for is a picture of a big box shipped to my door step!

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Well, we have done some high speed taxiing down the strip, then got brave and lifted it off! Just kept in in ground effect and landed. They are a very responsive airplane. I hope no one seen the sine wave we made trying to feel for terra firma! Idle needed a slight adjustment to bring it a bit lower. (my excuse for the sine wave landing!)
I am looking forward to the first real flight of this ship, it is promising to be a nice flying aircraft! Now I may have to go any start a kit of my own!

Ifly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ifly »

Worst thing that can happen in a RV9 is a wheel barrow landing. Make sure you keep the nose up in the flare. The strut the nose wheel is mounted on is not strong enough to support the aircraft if the nose toucches first. Other than that, the aircraft is highly forgiving. Have fun!

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Well all the snags were finally fixed up, the weather was perfect and the stomach butterflies were flying just right so last night we maiden ed the RV-9A!
It was indeed a very nice flying aircraft, very responsive controls, good performance with the 160hp. It is a slippery air frame an d with the cruise prop it will take some practice to slow down. I would not call it a hard airplane to fly, but like any it requires a certain level of respect and caution.
I now have a perma- RV grin and am working on the wife to let me buy some parts to start mine!!!!

Thanks to all for the advise!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Fun! I just found out the different models are not just improvements on the same design but quite different.

The -9 seems to be the sporty one.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

The -9 in strictly xcountry. The 7 & 8 are a bit sportier.

Chilliwackian
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chilliwackian »

400 hours in a RV6A and would never change it. Great for x-country unusual attitudes etc.
Always someone around with an RV to compare notes with.

RV6A -0320 - constant speed

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The best RV for xcountry is easily this one:

Return to “Homebuilders”