Post by crazy_aviator »

yes
---------- ADS -----------

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Conceptual Project

Post by Pavese »

You'd have to convince the appropriate gummint designated authorities that you were building >51% of the parts, not just refurbishing things (see 51% rule).

Better bet would be to plans-build something like a Zenair 701 which is a basic, mostly flat panel boxy build (except for the wings of course). Lots of these being built in the garages & basements of the country.

D 8)

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

Mapleflt wrote:The appropriate official is the MD-RA assigned to a project. On review of their guidelines, specifically SI # 549-001 it would seem as Crazy-Aviator said its possible. Clearly it was easier prior to the issue of the referanced special instruction so there must have been some abuse leading to its issue. When I look at the various alluminum guick-build kits I see little differance from what they sell and I envision as a project. When I try to understand Quick-build kits I can only conclude that as the components where not manufactured to a certified document or process they are by default regardless of who made them, amatuer built. I guess the really concern is one of subjectivity and interpritation of SI # 549-001.

Crazy-Aviator do you have recent, post SI experiance with an MD-RA on this kind of build? Is my understanding correct that any restoration or repairs completed as part of the work factor into the 50+ % requirements. Would a bench overhaul of an engine be factored in or the construction of floats or skis.

Thanks for the input, cheers

Mapleflt
To proceed this way you should get in contact with your local MD-RA and lay out what you plan to do before you invest time and money in the project. You'll need to get them on side and agree to approve what you're proposing in your Letter of Intent. The 51% checklist job aid put out by the FAA should be a good guide of how the tasks will be evaluated: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultr ... listFW.pdf. They also provide a job aid to assist the evaluator to determine eligibility of content. http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultr ... ob_Aid.pdf

549-001, especially 2.3 b) and 4.0 (3) rules out rebuilding the engine or any other normal maintenance as part of your fabrication content task list unless you're (personally, not farming out to a machine shop etc.) modifying & fabricating parts etc., assembling preexisting parts or replacing parts with other parts doesn't count unless you make them. A lot of what you propose would count such as re-skinning airframe parts by building new skins but I'm dubious about the jigs & fixtures.

Building skis/floats is a judgement call since they are part of an interchangeable landing gear, not a permanent part of the airframe, talk to your MD-RA.

The quick build kits are carefully crafted by the manufacturers to comply with the 51% rule and approved by MD-RA or the FAA etc., but you the builder still do 51% of the required work as defined by the rules. If you can complete the 51% list and tally up, you're in.

Good luck & keep us up to date, there isn't enough action in this forum!

D 8)

Tailwind W10
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tailwind W10 »

I would also recommend getting in touch with Jack Dueck or the other members of the EAA Canadian Council.

http://www.eaa.org/bitsandpieces/articl ... ouncil.asp

Jack lives in High River, AB, is a multiple homebuilder, and is currently finishing up converting a Luscombe (I think) into the homebuilt category. He also runs the EAA workshops in High River, teaching the sheet metal course personally.

I'll PM you his contact information later this evening.

Cheers
Gerry

Return to “Homebuilders”