Aerobatics Manuals

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Aerobatics Manuals

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Hi there,
I did a search of avcanada for aerobatic book recommendations but couldn't really find anything.

What would you recommend an ATPL holder and instructor read before I jump into the basics of aerobatics with an aerobatic instructor?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Aerobatics Manuals

Post by ahramin »

Easy. Basic Aerobatics by Mike Goulian.

http://mikegoulian.com/shop/basic-aerobatics-book

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Mike Goulian's Basic Aerobatics is pretty good and Spin Management by Love is not bad too. Stick and rudder if you will be flying a TD and are not familiar.

Where are you doing the training?

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Edmonton area.

jamesel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jamesel »

I thought "Basic Aerobatics" was more likely written by Szurovy than Goulian. Not enough theory for me. A caution - Some of the explanations of control positions seem to be referenced from the viewpoint of an outside observer, which was more than somewhat confusing for a pilot, but very intuitive for a RC modeller. The pictures of the Super D attitudes are close to the sight picture in the Citabria.
Out of my couple dozen of books on Aerobatics, my general preference is "Better Aerobatics" by Cassidy, especially if you have any interest in eventually competing. But, I find that most students do best learning from the same manual the instructor prefers, as different techniques/terminology can be confusing. Ask your instructor his preference of a printed reference.

Enjoy!
Regards,
Jamesel

ThatArmyGuy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ThatArmyGuy »

Thank you for the replies, I look forward to getting at it!

Tailwheelup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tailwheelup »

ThatArmyGuy wrote:Hi there,
I did a search of avcanada for aerobatic book recommendations but couldn't really find anything.

What would you recommend an ATPL holder and instructor read before I jump into the basics of aerobatics with an aerobatic instructor?

I used to collect books on Aerobatics, and most of them were personally signed by the authors, I admired the fact that they sat down and wrote a book
on my favorite subject.

Now, we have a host of material on YouTube that you can spend a lifetime looking at aerobatics and not have to get in an aircraft.

You don't need to read any books or watch any videos before you go for your first aerobatic flight which makes something relatively simple and very enjoyable appear
complicated and difficult.

Straight and level is also a simple maneuver, and there is very little difference to doing it upside down or, going straight up and straight down except its a hoot
and a load of fun.

I'd recommend that you turn of the YouTube, put down the books and do the real thing.

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”