Helmet Recommendations

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Osiris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Helmet Recommendations

Post by Osiris »

I'm becoming more and more convinced that a good helmet is a piece of essential safety kit for aerobatic flight, especially if you're wearing a chute and equipped to bail out. On Sean Tucker's last bail out, his helmet saved his life.
(Also my headset starts to slip off at about -2g).

So, any recommendations? So far, searching the internet has turned up a lot of information on Gentex products, but not a whole lot else. Wondering if anyone's got experience with a Gentex helmet, or any other brand, and what you think of it.

With respect to the Gentex products, is there a notable difference between the HGU-33 and 55? Would you recommend a Kevlar shell, or is the standard shell satisfactory?

Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Helmet Recommendations

Post by Hedley »

http://shop.beasafepilot.com/product.sc ... roductId=1
Low Weight Kevlar Composite Aviation Helmet
Peltor G78 Helmet Configured for General Aviation

-Lightweight Kevlar composite Shell
-Nomex Liner
-Adjustable plastic Earcups (25 db noise reduction)
-Electret Microphone with fully articulated boom
-Coiled cord tipped with U-174/U plug (requires adapter for use in GA aircraft utilizing dual headset plugs)
-Certified to British Standard BS 6658:Type A/FR
-Available in Grey multi-tone or White

If you buy this helmet + tinted visor + adapter cord you will pay $844.90 compared to a new Gentex HGU-55 with similar equipment for around $1400.00!

Read the article about this helmet that appeared in Sport Aerobatics Magazine: CLICK HERE

For adequate protection this helmet must fit properly. This helmet is designed to absorb some of the energy of a blow by partial destruction of its component parts and, even though damage may not be apparent, any helmet that has suffered an impact to the head in an accident or near accident should be replaced.

Available Sizes : M (22.6 in/58 cms), L (23.4 in./60 cms), XL (24.2 in./62 cms)

How to measure your head:

While all helmet manufacturers have made every attempt to build their products to be as safe as possible, neither the individual manufacturers or Beasafepilot.com is responsible for any injuries or losses sustained while using any of these products. The purchaser buys and uses these products at their own risk with full knowledge of the risks involved in their activities. Though no activity is 100% safe, the user can greatly reduce their chances of serious injury, death or loss of equipment by practicing proper emergency procedures.

FAQ:

Q: Will this helmet work in a civilian helicopter?
A: Yes, in fact the cord is equiped with a U-174/U plug which is directly compatable.

Q: How long is the coiled cord on the helmet?
A: 4 feet when fully stretched.

Q: What deos the helmet weigh with the tinted visor?
A: 46 oz. (A similarly configured Gentex HGU-55 weighs 43 oz.)

Please note: Allow approximately 4 weeks for delivery of your new helmet.
The Peltor G78 Helmet sold here is based upon the Peltor G78 Rally Helmet. The G78 helmet from Peltor has several modifications to the built in communications gear in order to make this product compatable with general aviation communications radios. Every effort will be made to ship your helmet sooner if possible. Visor not included, please order separately.

nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

Good luck buying a Gentex product from Canada. These days they wont even refurbish it if you are outside the US..

YOU COULD BE A TERRORIST!

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

nacho wrote:Good luck buying a Gentex product from Canada. These days they wont even refurbish it if you are outside the US..

YOU COULD BE A TERRORIST!
Not quite true, but not too far.

In accordance with US Coded Federal Regulations, a military style helmet with communication capabilities is considered a weapon and therefore subject to an export permit for US companies. This has nothing to do with Gentex, as the do not sell their helmet to individual, they only sell them to people like Gibson and Barnes. The problem is that G&B, AKA Flightsuit incorporated, only has the sales rights to the USA and does not have an export permit from the US Federal Gov.

There is another company that has the rights to sell in Canada and will sell you a Gentex helmet no problem. For Canadian sales, you need to contact:

John Winship
Canadian Marketing Manager
837 Rowantree Crescent
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
p. 613-384-5303
f. 613-384-5303
jwinship@gentexcorp.com

Now, back to the original question;

Whichever helmet you get, go for kevlar. When doing aerobatics, weigh is very important. There is no need to go for a helicopter helmet. The extra protection it provides is only on the sides and airplanes have wings the chance of having a side impact upon ground contact are somewhat slim.

I went with a HGU55. It is designed for fighter pilots and provide a few interesting extras. The first is a larger than usual front cut which makes the helmet invisible from my eyes location and does not decrease your field of vision (thus keeping your S.A. level at it highest) and secondly the neck cut out is also larger providing freedom of head movement making it easier to hit those marks and allows me to see my visual references earlier.

I did ad the HUG33 visor kit simply because I much prefer it to the overexposed visor of the 55, but that is personal.

Hope this helps,

Dan

nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

I did ad the HUG33 visor kit simply because I much prefer it to the overexposed visor of the 55, but that is personal.

Hope this helps,

Dan[/quote]

Very important if you forked the money for the gold mirrored type lens(more expensive) The visor kit will provide extra protection against scratches>

sreram26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sreram26 »

So thereby is there any other deifferences between a HGU 33 and HGU55 other than the visor area ? How about the arm for the NVG.?

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I was gifted a surplus Alpha helmet that happened to be colour matched to my airplane, so I took it and didn't ask too many questions. I like it a lot, but it's physically larger than some of the Gentex or Bonehead helmets. I put a Headsets Inc. ANR kit in it, and that coupled with the passive attenuation of the helmet in general makes it as quiet or quieter than my Lightspeed, so i'm happy. It came with a tinted visor that extends/retracts with a lever next to the ear.

I've heard very good things about Bonehead Composites helmets, but haven't tried one myself. If I was looking to buy new, I would have probably looked at them. They use Gentex visors, which should be readily available, and can build with a lot of options... ANR, Oxygen receivers, etc.
http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/21 ... comms.html

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

sreram26 wrote:So thereby is there any other deifferences between a HGU 33 and HGU55 other than the visor area ? How about the arm for the NVG.?
Visor types and NVG attachments can be mounted on both. The foam in the helmet is also customizable. I believe the US Navy uses the 33 and the Air Force uses the 55... I have flown with both and they feel very similar.

Going for the deck at corner
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

A lot of people like the Bonehead gunner with a clarity aloft. Very light and low profile.
I use the Gunner but I cut out holes for my Telex earpieces and threw away the metal clamp. Works beautifully.

Hvd2Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hvd2Pilot »

I use the Gentex 55. Don't really like the exposed visor so I make sure its cover is on before removing helmet (I've already had to replace a visor). However, the 33 with the enclosed visor can be cumbersome if your canopy is small. Bought mine from Flightsuits.com. CEP is a MUST, its awesome. I tried the ANR & pulled it out and replaced with the CEP.

Cheers,

Dave Hadfield
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Hadfield »

I've used a Campbell helmet since 2009. It's wonderful -- one of the nicest things I've ever owned. http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/id2.html

It's light (Kevlar) and looks good (leather cover). It's also fitted to your skull.

The passive sound absorption is fine -- I don't use active.

Negs: I had a cord fray after 5 years of steady use, where it joined the helmet.

Very expensive, but lovely to use.

Dave

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Dave, agree its a lovely helmet. I considered getting one but I found I could not lift my head up and back which made inverted stuff challanging. I like to tilt my head waaaay back for inverted spins and pull humpties. It certainly was the closest one to being acceptable but I ended up having to modify a sky dive helmet.

Dave Hadfield
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dave Hadfield »

Yes, cockpit canopy clearance is the critical measurement. Even in the Extra 330 Mike doesn't use a helmet.

But if it's neck movement which is the issue, you might be able to get the Campbell modified by a cut-away at the lower back. You could discuss it with them.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I used my Gunner / Telex in the Extra 330 and it worked well. i was paranoid about scratching the canopy and put soft felt over it. Those canopies cost more than my car!!

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”