Abbotsford Airshow Aug 9,10,11 / 2013

Interested in aerobatics or information on an airshow place your topics here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Abbotsford Airshow Aug 9,10,11 / 2013

Post by Beefitarian »

http://www.abbotsfordairshow.com/

So, it seems there's a few of us forum members from Alberta, several from B.C. Has anyone been to this lately.

I went a few times in the 1990s. It was allways pretty good, I never made it to the trade show. I think that part no longer exists. The cool thing about this one in the last century was you could see some of the Soviet airplanes since we were only nieghbors with the US&A.

I'm thinking a bit about talking the wife into going with the kids and dog this year since it's quite a bit closer than the big fly in. I love me some British Columbia and it's been too long since we've been out to Vancouver Island. Though taking the wife's trailer on the Ferry might be a bit pricey. I'll have to look further into it.
---------- ADS -----------

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Abbotsford Airshow Aug 9,10,11 / 2013

Post by akoch »

It is not bad. Depends on what you're comparing it to - it is in no way Farnborough, Paris or Zhukovsky air shows. But it is a great way to spend a day and see some different airplanes. Especially the first part with the aerobatics etc on small piston is awesome.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

At this point I'm comparing it to not going to an airshow in 2013.

I kind of want to go to the Okanogan during peach fest.
I keep getting told we can't afford to go on vacation until I get a paying job added to my current position.

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by akoch »

Drop a line if you end up around Vancouver. Can't promise an air-show, but going out for a scenic flight is easy to do.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I can alert you if we get that far. Hopefully the wife would let me off leash.

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 212wrench »

With the American military cancelling all of their airshow appearances, including the Thunderbirds, Blue Angels and all static displays, it will be interesting to see if anyone can pickup the slack at Abbotsford. Always very disappointed that nothing is done by Conair or Cascade during the show.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

That sounds harsh. They are trying to say in the site it's not going to effect it much.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Aren't there a couple of SU-27's flying in Illinois? They
should get one of those to come up, and it could chase
the Canadian Hornet about the place. That would be
fun, and make lots of noise for the crowd.

I remember flying into Oshkosh one year - a while ago -
and it was before the show started in the afternoon. I
looked up after I landed, and there was a MiG-21 gently
chasing around an F-104, overhead. Cool. And that
wasn't even the (afternoon) show - that was just going
on, overhead, with arrivals down below.

212wrench
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re:

Post by 212wrench »

Beefitarian wrote:That sounds harsh. They are trying to say in the site it's not going to effect it much.
Almost every single heavy at the show is American. So no C-5, KC135, B52, KC10, and possibly C17 unless a Canadian one shows up. So the entire heavy ramp would be empty except for a Canadian C130 and possibly a CP140. No A10, No F16, No F15s and possibly no USCG Dauphin.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Sure sounds like "Sequestering " down in the US is going to hurt the show at Abbotsford
So far the biggest show in Canada to date is going to be the Hamilton Int'l Airshow
unless someone can top it
The lineup is pretty impressive
Even Thunder Over Michigan change their date because of Hamilton's lineup

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Over the last many years the organizers of the show gave a pretty cold shoulder to the local warbird community and other local operators. It was obvious the emphasis on the show was heavy/fast airforce iron. Well now they are paying the price as many guys who were previously snubbed are going to the Vanderhoof show which is on the same weekend. IMO more than a few are doing it as a public F*ck You to the Abbotsford Airshow Committee who wouldn't give them the time of day last year but now is wants them all to come. :roll:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

It's a little sad/funny that I asked if anyone's been recently and this year it's going to lack all the "merican stuff. That was a pretty big part of the draw for me. I'm sure happy I was able to make it to Airshows back when people were just starting to hate them. Abbotsford a couple times, Namao back when there was tons of cool stuff. Stealth fighter, the AN-225, Mig 29...

Oh well, I should take the kids to Peachland and load up on Peaches instead.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Over the last many years the organizers of the show gave a pretty cold shoulder to the local warbird community and other local operators. It was obvious the emphasis on the show was heavy/fast airforce iron. Well now they are paying the price as many guys who were previously snubbed are going to the Vanderhoof show which is on the same weekend. IMO more than a few are doing it as a public F*ck You to the Abbotsford Airshow Committee who wouldn't give them the time of day last year but now is wants them all to come. :roll:
Pretty short sighted by them if you ask me

If you look at the stats over the last say 15 yrs I think you will find that the Vintage / Warbird shows do way netter than the modern Jet shows.
Jets are all the same ...loud faster nothing new from one act to the next = boring for most people

The older aircraft are all different from one to the next ...look . sounds etc

I always find it amusing to see the Jet jockeys want to sit in a WW2 fighter more than anything else and if you asked most people , they would rather get to sit in a Spitfire over a CF18

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Being a month away.. with no posting as to what will be on static display and a pretty weak lineup for aerial.. I'm betting it wont see all that great of a turnout. Maybe they should incorporate some inons of canadiana and west coast history.. We could come beat the place up with a gaggle of beavers?!? haha

Return to “Aerobatics & Airshows”