Seeking Advice

Place a topic in this forum to introduce yourself and find a little advice.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

SteepApproach
Rank 0
Rank 0

Seeking Advice

Post by SteepApproach »

Fellow Aviators,

I'm a private pilot with 430 hours TT, and 390 PIC, all on single-engine PA-28, C152, C172. Most of my time I had built on a Cherokee that I owned for two years. I'm soon to begin commercial training, but am contemplating what route would be best considering my circumstances... should I go for the instructor rating initially, and then later get my multi and multi IFR ratings, or just go straight for the multi/multi IFR and hope to get hired somewhere. I'm nearing 27 years old, and am willing to relocate anywhere globally. I do not have an aviation degree, and am hoping this wouldn't prove a great hindrance. Additionally, does anyone know of any aviation diploma program offered online? I'm at a point where I can't really spend full time at school when I could be building hours / saving money for additional ratings. I have a fairly robust employment history, working jobs in customer service, security, the film and television industry, property management, as well as three years with the Department of Foreign Affairs. Any suggestions and advice is thoroughly appreciated.

Fly Safe!
---------- ADS -----------

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Seeking Advice

Post by SkyWolfe »

You can do an aviation degree online with Embry-Riddle. I don't feel it would hinder you if you have education in other fields, but I am not an employer.

That's the only question I can really answer :)

If your at a school that needs instructors you could always go that way and then do your multi/MIFR... save a little money.

Wolfie

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

A commercial and IFR would see you at the 500 hour level roughly, which is often the magic number for co-pilot employment.

As an instructor, you would see jobs posted that you were qualified for right from the start.

Either choice would be good. Instructing is perhaps more likely to get hours faster.

A degree or diploma in Aviation is a nice to have thing for ACE, and perhaps a few 704 chief pilots with a preference. For the majority of employers, no. Embry Riddle has a high non-completion rate for distance education and is expensive. In your position I would look at Athabasca or a local community college to see whether your acquired life skills give you an edge in any program.

scopiton
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by scopiton »

don't consider getting a degree like an door-opener but rather like an asset to widen your job scope when you'll have reached 10.000hrs. Then you might need new challenges in addition to flying.
whichever degree in any High or comon school will do it, JC is ruight. choose with your means.
embry riddle is not so hard, non completion rate might come from slackers or very busy people :wink:

Return to “AvCanada's Mentor Program”