PML 2.0

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

PML 2.0

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Anyone heard of the success rate of PML 2.0? I've heard of a bunch of people including myself getting pfo'd. Just curious what the numbers are like floating around. Cheers! Rup
---------- ADS -----------

Slowprop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: PML 2.0

Post by Slowprop »

I have not heard of anybody getting PFO after the video interview

After the in person interview ( out of the 8-10 people I know that got there since pml 2.0 ) I know only 1 person that was PFO.... So I would say a good 80-90% get the yes.. from the low number of people I know

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I know a few who got the PFO after the video.

prestonlad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prestonlad »

From the people I've spoken to , if yo do not have a university degree or 3 yr diploma you will not be considered at this time . AC may of course adjust this proviso if needs dictate , but I wouldn't be holding my breath .

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

AC is still a gamble. There is no one hiring board so the people could view people very differently. I know folks with a masters degree in aviation relevant subjects who are great people people. One even had a very prestigious job and is very likeable, interviews well but still got the we will call you in the future email. AC is not what it used to be. DC pension.... Bump that, or cargo flown but non union pilots... How about rouge.... Nope!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

You all can go to AC. I'll "stick it out" at Jazz and be a Captain for 30 years and live in my home city. Last thing I want is to go to AC and be stuck as an FO for 15 years and/or on reserve. Nothing is a sure thing and anytime you see a company PAYING you to leave (PML 1.0) you have to wonder if it's really a good idea. That alone makes me wonder what Jazz and AC has in the works for the regional (if you can even call it that (YVR-DFW/SAN/SJC/DEN/PHX/YYG is not regional it's domestic) flying in the future.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

If you still have 30 years left in your career, imho not applying to AC is a big mistake. And it's not a 15 year wait to go Capt. more like 2-3

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Black_Tusk wrote:You all can go to AC. I'll "stick it out" at Jazz and be a Captain for 30 years and live in my home city. Last thing I want is to go to AC and be stuck as an FO for 15 years and/or on reserve. Nothing is a sure thing and anytime you see a company PAYING you to leave (PML 1.0) you have to wonder if it's really a good idea. That alone makes me wonder what Jazz and AC has in the works for the regional (if you can even call it that (YVR-DFW/SAN/SJC/DEN/PHX/YYG is not regional it's domestic) flying in the future.
Some people have the dream of flying big metal. Seems like a better lifestyle at Jazz but pay and machines are better at AC. Pick whatever makes you happy unless someone makes the choice for you like myself!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:You all can go to AC. I'll "stick it out" at Jazz and be a Captain for 30 years and live in my home city. Last thing I want is to go to AC and be stuck as an FO for 15 years and/or on reserve. Nothing is a sure thing and anytime you see a company PAYING you to leave (PML 1.0) you have to wonder if it's really a good idea. That alone makes me wonder what Jazz and AC has in the works for the regional (if you can even call it that (YVR-DFW/SAN/SJC/DEN/PHX/YYG is not regional it's domestic) flying in the future.
Some people have the dream of flying big metal. Seems like a better lifestyle at Jazz but pay and machines are better at AC. Pick whatever makes you happy unless someone makes the choice for you like myself!
Exactly! Everyone is different, I for one have no aspiration to fly long haul. I'd like to fly a 320/737/C Series, but hey if I don't it won't be the end of the world. For me (and a lot of people my age) it's work/life balance vs. the past of chasing metal and money.

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Black_Tusk wrote:
Rupert_Pupkin wrote:
Exactly! Everyone is different, I for one have no aspiration to fly long haul. I'd like to fly a 320/737/C Series, but hey if I don't it won't be the end of the world. For me (and a lot of people my age) it's work/life balance vs. the past of chasing metal and money.
I'm like you with the AC types. I also like the domestic flying which the RJ is doing quite a bit of our of YVR. The one thing that I just can't figure out with getting pfo'd is AC is ok with me being a captain flying their passengers around but I'm not ok to be an FO for them? I guess you could say I'm a tiny bit sour the whole thing!

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Yeah you have a point. Good enough to fly the RJ in the left seat (if you can hold it) but not good enough to be RP or FO on a mainline machine. Who knows the thought process. If you really want to go, just keep applying as I know a few people who got in on the 2nd try.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Think long term fellas. I "prefer" the regional flying too. Lifestyle at Jazz right now (for me) is great.
That said, Jazz is not an airline anymore. It's a contract charter company that is generally at the whim of the contract holder (AC). Over the past several years, AC has indicated how it feels about Jazz (not good). There is an expiry date on the current contract. Anyone who thinks that "there is no way in hell that AC could replace the Jazz flying" is out of touch with reality. Jazz was a great career environment at one point, however, not anymore.

It's like a County that contracts out it's waste pickup. We are one of those companies. Are you happy working for the waste contractor, or would you be better off working for the County itself?

If you are under the age of 30/35, and have the opportunity (or choice) to go to AC, don't be silly. Go to AC.
Staying at Jazz is not the smart choice. If you don't have the choice, that's another issue; make the best of this place.

Take the advice of someone who has been at this for a while. Go to AC.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Canoehead wrote:Take the advice of someone who has been at this for a while. Go to AC.
Seriously. I can't believe there are some pilots that would rather stay at Jazz. AC is hardly perfect but the 2 aren't even comparable. As for the guy slagging Rouge before..... as a junior member if you decide to join AC you should hope and pray you get to go to Rouge. :roll:

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Why is that (Rouge)?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

No reserve. Good flying. Good overtime. Socialized bidding.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Canoehead hits the nail on the head.

I too think Jazz is a great place, I love my work and the family environment here. However, as far as career longevity and financial sense go you would be insane not to transition to the mothership if given the opportunity to. AC dictates what we do and can easily take away our flying slowly by starting another SR/GA out west. I think things will start getting interesting for us all the closer we get to 2025.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

iamnomaverick wrote:Canoehead hits the nail on the head.

I too think Jazz is a great place, I love my work and the family environment here. However, as far as career longevity and financial sense go you would be insane not to transition to the mothership if given the opportunity to. AC dictates what we do and can easily take away our flying slowly by starting another SR/GA out west. I think things will start getting interesting for us all the closer we get to 2025.

If this pilot shortage trend continues (which is a big if) I doubt anyone who chooses to remain at Jazz is going to have to worry. Both Sky Regional, and Georgian are hurting bad for pilots, and retirements haven't yet set in at Air Canada. Combine that with opportunities world wide, starting another regional career by simply undercutting Jazz by paying pilots less simply won't work. I think Jazz is safe. Not to mention we still do the job far better than Georgian or Sky Regional. They have served their purpose, and so long as we don't threaten to shut anything down, I suspect we will be safe for the long term. Our flying is already above the minimum Air Canada needs to give us under the CPA. I suspect there will be more for us in the future.

Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

What im curious of is any past instances of ALPA regionals in the USA going at eachothers throats for pieces of the same CPA pie with Delta United AA etc. Pilots working against eachothers common interests for short term gain and long term loss. What im getting at is the question of whether its good for the goose and good for the gander now that ALPA is in at GGN too.

Come 2025 if AC decided to suddenly turn off the CPA tap and disband Jazz, a company of 1600 pilots and 5000 total employees, it would have seismic consequences on our national air travel infrastructure and the canadian economy with 5000 ppl suddenly out of work. Then again, contrary to common sense, trump is president and Britain is leaving the EU.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The flying isn't disappearing. If AC cuts off the CPA for Jazz, there will be another company (lets call it Disco, to stick with the musical theme) that will be flying the same planes on the same routes and possibly even use the same flight numbers.

Georgian is flying Jazz's old CRJ 200s. Jazz is flying Sky's old Q400s.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

goingnowherefast wrote:The flying isn't disappearing. If AC cuts off the CPA for Jazz, there will be another company (lets call it Disco, to stick with the musical theme) that will be flying the same planes on the same routes and possibly even use the same flight numbers.

Georgian is flying Jazz's old CRJ 200s. Jazz is flying Sky's old Q400s.
And SKY is flying the old AC 175's.

It is a game of musical chairs to the cheapest labour force.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”