Discovery Air Fire Detection Pilots

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Discovery Air Fire Detection Pilots

Post by shamrock104 »

Anyone got any up to date info on these guys?
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Discovery Air Fire Detection Pilots

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

What do you need to know? The ad is pretty clear. It's summer camp with a bonus at the end. Free place to stay.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

^ ^
Basically what he said. Great summer gig.

In the past 1,000TT, and 100MEPIC was needed to get on, however they were flexible and could take you with as low as 75MEPIC. I think because of industry movement tho, they are having a harder time finding qualified guys and so they've put the absolute minimum requirements in the job ad it seems now to be more enticing. If you don't have 75MEPIC, I really wouldn't bother applying. If you do, then apply. Everyone who wants to move on by end of season does move on. Places like Bearskin, Thunder, Ornge, Skycare, Wasaya, etc are full of discovery guys.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Some guys go back for 2 or 3 years. That's gotta be a good sign.

I guess you could say it's like float job without the gruelling long hours of loading fuel barrels (or getting wet). You get to fly around beautiful scenery all summer long and get the winter off.

jeremyh1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jeremyh1 »

Speaking from personal experience, the two summers I spent with DAFS (1 Detection, 1 Birddog) were fantastic. Met a lot of great folks while living in free (and clean) accommodation. Lots of downtime in the mornings and evenings to be spent at your leisure. If you have the 1000tt/75mpic requirements I am sure they would love to hear from you. Most guys who do put in a full summer with DAFS have no trouble finding further employment, just make sure you honour your commitment in staying the entire season and play nice with others. If you do, they will honour their commitment in terms of giving a great reference out the door.

Jeremy

Think before you type!
Blueshift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blueshift »

What's the usual season for fire detection pilots? Would they be flexible for someone in university? How many hours can be expected to be flown in a season?

Thanks!

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Blueshift wrote:What's the usual season for fire detection pilots? Would they be flexible for someone in university? How many hours can be expected to be flown in a season?

Thanks!
None of the answers to your questions matter if you don't get the job. You don't get the job unless you apply. So...apply to the job ad, if you get interviewed ask the questions then. It's really that easy and they'll be your best source for answers.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

They do a retention bonus if you stick around for whole season. They understand if you get the call from Jazz or have other commitments, but you'll be saying goodbye to a good chunck of change.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 7507 »

What’s the schedule and pay like?

spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

7507 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:38 pm What’s the schedule and pay like?
I've heard $1200 take home every two weeks, $4000 retention bonus if you finish the contract. 21 on, 7 off. Not sure how current/accurate that is though.

Return to “Employment Forum”