New rfp for all alberta medevac

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

plhought
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#126 Post by plhought » Mon May 29, 2017 3:31 pm

Basic Empty Weight of the "250" is not 8,800 lbs.

Basic operating weight is ~8,800. Includes (1) pilot, unuseable fuel/oil, documents, and some other corporate mumbo-jumbo for commissary and such. Some of these things you wouldn't even have on a medevac machine.

Don't forget you remove a good 450 lbs of seats and tables before you start adding in the medical equipment. You just don't add it to the brochure numbers...

I've performed weight and balances on 70's KA200s, late 80/90's 200's, 2010 200's, and reviewed a brand new '250'. The empty weight of the 250 was less than the 90s machine easily...by ~80 pounds if I recall - even with the -52's (Which I can't imagine weigh much different than a -41/42). The -52 is actually just a different Build Standard of the -42 if you talk to the Pratt guys.

The old EFIS 84/86 installations are a good 80 lbs more than Pro-Line, and Fusion looked about 20lbs lighter than that if one is interested. Garmin install is even lighter.

The '250' is not a new airplane. It's still a KA200 people. It's not like they added 600lbs of structure. In fact, the only real difference outside of avionics is the enviro system with the Kieth electric flow-packs...which probably weigh less. Oh, and 11 lbs for winglets :roll:

Time for the 'losing' operators to stop crying-foul and start thinking about their employees and future.

EDIT:

Also, it's not the job of the provincial government/AHS to "subsidize" commerical routes. If your skeds/charters have been depending on a AHS contract for personnel/facilities to support those other operations then...
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#127 Post by co-joe » Tue May 30, 2017 9:32 am

Well, maybe when you get one of those new machines at one of the bases that you didn't lie about having hangar space at, you can set it up, put it on scales and then we'll talk.

My money's on Jake and AB health having made a huge mistake with the 250. We'll see.

plhought
Rank 5
Rank 5

#128 Post by plhought » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't have anything to do with any of the Alberta medevac operators. Past and present. Just wanted to clarify some of the numbers being thrown around.

As you mentioned, only time will tell.

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#129 Post by Lvnedo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:22 am

Lots of rumors coming out his week about the RFP. The info going around is that ACA refused to accept AHS contract terms (money) and did not sign the contract. (Rumor is that CanWest also failed to sign a contract this week.)

It's a frustrating process. You submit your bid. You get awarded the bid. Then AHS makes you sit down at the table to negotiate the numbers you submitted and the numbers they want to pay. AHS wants to low ball the price. ACA shouldn't have to cut their numbers down, they won their bid and now AHS expects them to bend over?

The system is extremely flawed.

(Again, all rumors)

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#130 Post by Lvnedo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:18 am

Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

#131 Post by Rightseatdriver » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:33 am

Lvnedo wrote:Medicine Hat news today:

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... be-signed/
Jake the snake

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#132 Post by co-joe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:39 pm

This contract is a total mess. AB health is run by monkeys.

Spending millions to save pennies. But that new trailer trainer sure is cool, lo and behold Jake "donated the interior".

ditar
Rank 5
Rank 5

#133 Post by ditar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:45 am

co-joe wrote:This contract is a total mess. AB health is run by monkeys.
No matter whose side you are on, that is a statement we can all agree on.

daedalusx
Rank 3
Rank 3

#134 Post by daedalusx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:53 pm

Anyone else remember that gem ?

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.1705779

85 VPs ...
In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#135 Post by Lvnedo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:43 am

Today's news, June 6th, from Medicine Hat:

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... ambulance/

Pretty much the same as the last few articles.

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#136 Post by Lvnedo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:49 am

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#137 Post by Lvnedo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:01 am

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

#138 Post by Cod Father » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:25 am

What do they mean there is no space or room for new hangars at Peace River and Medicine Hat?

J31
Rank 8
Rank 8

#139 Post by J31 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:21 am

Cod Father wrote:What do they mean there is no space or room for new hangars at Peace River and Medicine Hat?
What I think the issue is there are no lots that you could start building on tomorrow.

Think: no survey, no water, not sewer, no roads, no taxiway, no fire hydrants, zoning, etc......

I'm sure there is raw land available but it would take time and money to develop.

J31
Rank 8
Rank 8

#140 Post by J31 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 am

From the Medicine Hat News:

The City of Medicine Hat has said there is no land available for CanWest at Medicine Hat Airport.

“Can West has asked the question to our planning department and our airport manager about whether there is land available,” said city CAO Merete Heggelund. “They have been provided with a possible layout for future lot development in accordance with the Airport Land Development project we are undertaking.

“They were told that this is just a schematic — no serviced land is available and it would take time (and money) to develop these lots to be ready for sale.Furthermore, any development would have to meet with all the normal regulatory procedures, (such as) development and building permits, etc.”

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... ambulance/

Rotorwash
Rank 0
Rank 0

#141 Post by Rotorwash » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#142 Post by Lvnedo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:40 am

“Their pilots were telling Integra Air’s pilots (Integra Air currently has the air ambulance contract for this area) that ‘yeah, CanWest bought Super T, that’s where we’re gonna be,'” said Super, who felt the need to write a Facebook posting.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read yet! Anyone that believed this has never met Terri Super and Les Little.

MrWings
Rank 8
Rank 8

#143 Post by MrWings » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Cod Father wrote:What do they mean there is no space or room for new hangars at Peace River and Medicine Hat?
For Peace River, Council has been told that without medevac, Northern Air wouldn't be able to survive on its sched service alone. And without sched service, the airport wouldn't be eligible for government airport funding.

As a result, they are refusing to open up any more land to keep CanWest out.

Local government supporting the NAC monopoly in air ambulance.

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#144 Post by Lvnedo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:22 am

MrWings
Rank 8
Rank 8

#145 Post by MrWings » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 am

I'm not familiar with the Medicine Hat situation but it looks very similar to Peace River. Denying or stalling hangar builds to prevent an outside company from getting access to the local market.

Rotorwash
Rank 0
Rank 0

#146 Post by Rotorwash » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

no, there are new lots available in Medicine hat there just unserviced, no roads or taxiways currently.
Anything is possible with the proper planning and execution. Its just not the case currently at either of the airports YXH or YPE in Canwests case.....but it can be achieved with enough time and money.

Apetit
Rank 0
Rank 0

#147 Post by Apetit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Is this the first time AHS, as the article title reads "Pulled"
a contract with an operator. Was it because of the companies performance? I was planning on applying at Integra Air, I see they have ads out and are planning on expanding. Perhaps I should wait.

akiess
Rank 0
Rank 0

#148 Post by akiess » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 pm

AHS didn't pull the contract, it ended.. They spent so much time trying to get their " preferred candidate" to meet the RFP requirements that they ran out of time. They can't extend past March 31st and so they have backed themselves into a corner with Canwest. God Help us all April 1st, cause there won't be an operational medevac facility in the hat on that day.

That being said, Integra has done, and will continue to do an outstanding job with MEDEVAC until that end. We have done this as BAR XH since the beginning of air ambulance in this province and If anyone at AHS had any sense, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Integra Air is growing in new and exciting ways and won't be going anywhere April 1st. I invite anyone to apply and see why I personally don't want to fly with anyone else.

sfostersa
Rank 0
Rank 0

#149 Post by sfostersa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:07 pm

So here's a question if anyone can answer please do. Ahs awarded the contract based on a points system/evaluation. Basically the providers that scores the best get the contract. Surely Canwest would have lost points for not having a hangar at yxh and ype. So what did Integra and Northern Air score low on that despite Canwest not having land at either airport they still got the contract? The hangar at a base would have only been part of the evaluation. For ahs to move forward with Canwest the other providers had to be lacking in other areas. Any ideas what?

Billy the Goat
Rank 0
Rank 0

#150 Post by Billy the Goat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 pm

akiess wrote: Integra Air is growing in new and exciting ways and won't be going anywhere April 1st. I invite anyone to apply and see why I personally don't want to fly with anyone else.
Perhaps you should try it. You may find things to be dramatically better elsewhere.
sfostersa wrote:For ahs to move forward with Canwest the other providers had to be lacking in other areas. Any ideas what?
Integra has by far the highest maintenance related downtime of all the operators. I'm sure that factored in to the decision.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”