Jazz Experience

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Wammer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Jazz Experience

Post by Wammer »

Good friend of mine graduated MRU last year and has been on the RJ for about 8 months now. I believe it is 4 or 5 others from last year that are on the Q or Classic
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

goingmach_1 wrote:Just heard that a Sault College grad with 500 hrs (max) is now on course with Jazz on the RJ. Wow, times are changing.
Good for them. The RJ isn't exactly hard to fly.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Neither is a Dash and yet numerous accidents, culminating with Colgan Air, led the FAA to impose a 1500 hour minimum on 705 equivalent operations in the US after determining lack of Pilot experience was a common factor. I have to say I'm a bit concerned, not so much with one relatively inexperienced pilot being up front (a 500 hour First Officer), but by the fact that the Captain they're flying with could have been hired just over one year earlier with similar credentials. Are there any restrictions at Jazz which prevent pairing low time FO's with recently upgraded Captains? I'm not trying to slag any individuals or the training provided, but I don't think there is any replacement for experience.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

No green on green.. Under 100 on type. So if you were an FO on a dash then went captain you can fly with someone fresh off line indoc. Actually, my first flight off indoc was with a brand new captain.

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Blacktusk, I'm sorry you've had to fly with Captains that don't follow SOP, however as a Captain who follows the SOPs and as a long time Jazz pilot who as an FO never(with a maybe 2 exceptions) flew with a Captain who didn't, I respectfully ask you revise your statement to a more accurate reflection of the Jazz Captains.
You seem to insinuate that only new Captains follow them and ALL longer term Captain don't, they say 5% of any group.... I don't think it's close to that at Jazz. Of course I don't know other bases all that well, so I hope I'm not wrong

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I wasn't insinuating all. Just to be clear, the majority are great. If you'd like to know what specifics I'm talking about I'd be happy to take this into PM.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Black_Tusk wrote: And if I'm being honest often flying with the newer captains is better because they actually follow SOPS and care about doing a good job.
While you may feel new Captains do a 'better' job, I wouldn't discount the experience the senior pilots have, while they may call for 'Flaps' instead of 'Flap', they can also anticipate problems a thousand miles away that recent upgrades trip over with out ever anticipating given their spending such a short amount of time the right seat. With such a massive turnover of Jazz' pilot group in the past few years my concern is that there are simply too many relatively inexperienced crew members paired up together.

I'm glad you think flying an RJ is easy, but at the end of back to back to back multi day pairings filled with weather, delays, and maintenance issues it never hurts to have a few years of experience to fall back on. I still feel totally comfortable boarding a Jazz flight, I'm just wondering aloud here if anyone else inside the organization is concerned about such a massive flow of fresh upgrades and new hires filling the front seats?

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

+1 TheStig

Often with the new Captains everything seems great until unusual situations come up. Things like MEL, bad weather, all those types of things some of the new guys get quiet... CRM goes out the window and I can feel the intensity and stress creep in. Flying with some of the guys who have been on the plane for years it seems nothing phases them, when you feel a little under pressure they are pretty cool calm and collected.

Its not a one shoe size fits all, but I dont discount the experience of the guys who have been flying since before I was born.

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

Is multi, including multi piston time, still more valued than single turbine or at this point they could care less?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

For some reason, and I can't figure out why multi piston time is more valuable to them than single engine turbine.
Lots of navajo captains, rarely guys off the pc-12.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Navajos are quite difficult to fly relative to some other aircraft. Fragile engines, lacking power, mediocre in icing (better than Caravan though), stuck below 10,000 in the weather, old steam gauges and often no flight director or autopilot. 500hrs PIC in a Navajo will make for better decision making and hands & feet than flying at FL250 in blue skies with the autopilot behind a PT-6. Not saying it's a better airplane, on the contrary, a PC-12 is less likely to kill you.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

FL-280 wrote:For some reason, and I can't figure out why multi piston time is more valuable to them than single engine turbine.
Lots of navajo captains, rarely guys off the pc-12.
Navajos are a lot of work and take a decent amount of skill to fly safely. You're dealing with old tech. Piston engines, in the soup (or being bounced around in VMC), hand flying, popping the boots regularly. There's no flying above weather in a Navajo.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

You are right, and I didn't think about that. But, the pc-12 has great performance and a EFIS system similar to the rj, and Q.
For myself, my limited pc12 hours helped me out for my initial at Jazz.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”