WestJet To Launch ULCC

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: WestJet To Launch ULCC

Post by JBI »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:That's nice but the duty of the MEC is to its bargaining unit members. Constitutionally it must protect the rights of the last member of the bargaining unit versus giving a new hire to WestJet (From.Encore or not) a higher position on the list.
Do you have a reference to support this claim?

Unions are required to follow the mandate of what a majority of members direct them to do unless these infringe upon one of the enumerated grounds of of discrimination (race, gender, disability, age etc.). Any time a CBA gets negotiated there will be members of a group that do better than others. The ones who do 'worse' don't automatically have a recourse against the union if the union was just following its mandate.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

JBI wrote:
NewCommercialPilot wrote:That's nice but the duty of the MEC is to its bargaining unit members. Constitutionally it must protect the rights of the last member of the bargaining unit versus giving a new hire to WestJet (From.Encore or not) a higher position on the list.
Do you have a reference to support this claim?

Unions are required to follow the mandate of what a majority of members direct them to do unless these infringe upon one of the enumerated grounds of of discrimination (race, gender, disability, age etc.). Any time a CBA gets negotiated there will be members of a group that do better than others. The ones who do 'worse' don't automatically have a recourse against the union if the union was just following its mandate.
Heh, the difference between a guy who thinks he's a lawyer, and one who actually is....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
hurtin'albertan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hurtin'albertan »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:Oh, so what, on an anonymous forum I'm supposed to be truthful? Where does it say that in the rule of internet posting.
Haha J. Why start being truthful now? Don't you see the irony in your statement compared to your carpet bombing of posting under various names? Why would anyone believe anything you say?

All this bs you have been spouting (one list, seniority) has been addressed a million times by alpa, straight from the horse's mouth, yet you persist in making the same inaccurate claims over and over to push your ideology and agenda. I guess if you yell something loud enough and often enough it becomes true in your own mind. Never mind what the actual facts say.

It's pretty clear you have an agenda (unlimited OT perhaps to pad your T4?) that you are worried will dry up if special deals go away once there is accountability and transparency. Where's the guy who said RUN DON'T WALK TO SIGN A CARD when his ass was on the line (you posted your story here, didn't you?)

This would be really funny if it wasn't also really sad.

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

Oh whatever.

I'll admit I overreacted back in the fall. My ego was bruised NY management doing their job.

Then I got over myself. You should to and stop being so sad.

See ya!

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

I have no skin in this fight to unionize at West Jet. I've read the doom and gloom along with the positive posts. I have been with CALPA and ALPA most of my career (which spans almost 3 decades), guess what, we are still here and thriving. I've survived 3 mergers, 2 bankruptcies' (not the pilot's fault) and we are still here. I heard the same rhetoric at Time Air when we voted for CALPA and we are still here.

Flyer

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Realitychex wrote:
Addendum: Like I said, AC rarely beats industry average in any metric that matters. By far the worst numbers of any publicly traded airline in North America. So much for the big turnaround.

8)
Well we know your opinion.

The share price has gone up over 30% this week. Here's another one.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... td-analyst

“In our view, Air Canada’s valuation remains very attractive based on any metric or comparison, particularly when considering its achievements over the past five years and its growth potential.”

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Rotten Apple #1 wrote:What are you talking about?
RA1 - He is referring to someone in Hong Kong tiring of the Chinese pollution and looking to come back to Canada. I expect that his buddy flys for Cathay or similar. Fragrant Harbour is the old Chinese name for Hong Kong harbour. Check out PPRUNE and that's the name for the Cathay threads.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

TheStig wrote:
Realitychex wrote:
Addendum: Like I said, AC rarely beats industry average in any metric that matters. By far the worst numbers of any publicly traded airline in North America. So much for the big turnaround.

8)
Well we know your opinion.

The share price has gone up over 30% this week. Here's another one.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... td-analyst

“In our view, Air Canada’s valuation remains very attractive based on any metric or comparison, particularly when considering its achievements over the past five years and its growth potential.”
RealityChex is going to make WestJet great again!

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

hurtin'albertan wrote:
NewCommercialPilot wrote:Oh, so what, on an anonymous forum I'm supposed to be truthful? Where does it say that in the rule of internet posting.
Haha J. Why start being truthful now? Don't you see the irony in your statement compared to your carpet bombing of posting under various names? Why would anyone believe anything you say?

All this bs you have been spouting (one list, seniority) has been addressed a million times by alpa, straight from the horse's mouth, yet you persist in making the same inaccurate claims over and over to push your ideology and agenda. I guess if you yell something loud enough and often enough it becomes true in your own mind. Never mind what the actual facts say.

It's pretty clear you have an agenda (unlimited OT perhaps to pad your T4?) that you are worried will dry up if special deals go away once there is accountability and transparency. Where's the guy who said RUN DON'T WALK TO SIGN A CARD when his ass was on the line (you posted your story here, didn't you?)

This would be really funny if it wasn't also really sad.
Hurtin' Albertam, I do work lots. And I'd say a sizeable proportion of that flying is as the Top WestJet IROP Recovery Pilot TWIRP, specializing in covering flights that need a Captain or they'd get cancelled. One of the benefits of being the TWIRP is I can afford time off to engage in fun activities like the one I did this morning, and that wasn't sad. It was fecking awesome:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XJaU0jGD4

Now go live your tragically boring life consumed with trying to find someone (WestJet?) responsible for your unhappiness.

See ya!

JS 4799

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

Done and done .
Thank god for that. :prayer:

Now, how to get my 20$/ per pay back that was wrestled from me months ago.
JS want to start a website for that? :rolleyes:

Contrarily, I will willingly be paying the dues for ALPA from here on out.

Next !

Just callin it like it is.
Mostly Harmless
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Mostly Harmless »

prestonlad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prestonlad »

With no skin in this game all I want to add is : the only way any pilot group can protect its interests is to look at the wider implications of the company's new plans and figure out ( carefully ) why they are doing this and how it affects costs etc. Rouge are a good example of how an airline can slide new operating strategy past a pilot group . I'm not for one minute suggesting we as a pilot body advocate fighting anything that produces profit BUT, we must keep in mind the fact that we are already underpaid for the work we do and need to see company expansion plans for what they are and ask " is this in our best interest interest " . If its just a naked attempt to subvert labour laws and/or union rules then west jet ULCC must be fought with all our collective heart. Just my 2 bucksworth.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

The fact that Australian airlines pay ~$70,000 starting FO salaries should be enough said. Canada is beginning to become sub par in ALL aspects in comparison to the world; pay, fatigue, etc..... Why on earth, is ANY of this justified??

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

Because we still have self serving pilots that will accept the job at low sub standard wages. You eliminate this weak link in the chain and the problem is solved. Pilots typically only think of themselves and that's the problem

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"Everyone sucks, but not everyone swallows, get a life J."

Really? Mind your manners.

Legacy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Legacy »

-

Last edited by Legacy on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

"Get a life".

Cracks me up. I'm too busy, way too busy enjoying being 51 to get a life. Although it didn't end as planned, the following is me in my wingsuit on my 1000th skydive two days ago in South Carolina: https://youtu.be/_e2zieujBw8

Now please, tell me about your awesome life.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Is this satire? What the heck are you doing?

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

NewCommercialPilot wrote:"Get a life".

Cracks me up. I'm too busy, way too busy enjoying being 51 to get a life. Although it didn't end as planned, the following is me in my wingsuit on my 1000th skydive two days ago in South Carolina: https://youtu.be/_e2zieujBw8

Now please, tell me about your awesome life.

Swallow your pride

.80@410
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by .80@410 »

"IF ALPA is successful, I'll watch from the sidelines. I won't be joining the union and I won't be walking a stike line but I'll glady cross it. I didn't get into aviation because of the brotherhood and I'm not going to start now. I don't care what intimidation tactics ALPA goons employ from blanket parties, whistles, or keying my 1998 Ford Explorer, and I don't care what the the reaction of my co-workers is. I was hired by WJ and I've been treated very well here and I believe in keeping my company nimble enough to react to market conditions in order to avoid the dung heap of obscalescence that is thre history of North American airlines."
JS 4799

Truly the most disgusting post I've read from a fellow pilot.
What's the point in trying to better this industry and maintain some semblance of cohesion and professionalism when you have humans like this who care about nothing but themselves and are willing to jump on whatever bandwagon either suits thier best interests of saves their hides.
We all know if he had an incident tomorrow he would be begging someone for the alpa hotline and a sign up form.

no one gives a flying squirrel fart about your flying squirrel suit,

Just callin it like it is.

Return to “WestJet”