Shortage real, Chartright increasing $$

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Shortage real, Chartright increasing $$

Post by '97 Tercel »

Apparently Chartright Air is implementing 15 to 25% salary increases for pilots.

Still see some pretty low numbers in some other job ads, wonder if those companies will start bumping pay as well now. As PML's get depleted, airlines will hit up OTS candidates more and more - interesting next couple years...
---------- ADS -----------

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Shortage real, Chartright increasing $$

Post by garfield »

Yeah, it's gonna be a REAL show!

West peak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by West peak »

15%- 20% of not much is still not much! It's a start though. I think they've lost a few pilots over the last couple of months and I know of a couple more with their foot halfway out the door.

Let's see what happens.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I've got a few buddies there now and they were saying starting wages are about 10-15% above industry average at least for the light jets - and they've gone ahead with bumping up salaries across the board for current employees.

When I heard the numbers I can verify as well they are paying much better than they have in the past and above what most operators are paying, at least in Ontario.

With the majors ramping up hiring again in the fall, its in their best interest to make their employment package difficult to turn down.

As much as the owners hate it, they will have to pay more for the foreseable future or face the revolving door. If I were an owner with a few million invested in a jet, I'd much rather shell out an extra 20-30k a year more, rather than not be able to fly on my jet.

Hopefully this trend continues to help improve WAWCON on the corporate side!

S.

Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Broker »

Before you pat anyone on the back, keep in mind it is those management companies that have been driving salaries down. Hopefully supply does bite them in the rear.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

As someone who spent many years flying for chartright, 10-15% probably still keeps them below Skyservice and air sprint. I personally would rather see them improve in other areas first, more than 10 vacation days a year, rrsp benefits. Also guarantee on when you will be having days off, if you do plan anything on your days off not being notified the day before they've been changed, not being emailed randomly in the middle of days on saying your days off are now moved to 5 hours from now, actually allowing you to use days of in conjunction with you minimal amount of vacation instead of saying you've reset on your vacation days.

whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

Haha sounds like you have worked there!

The old 10pm email to tell you you're released in 2 hours time for the next 3 days!

There is some talk of possible pay increases across the pilot group, but I'm not expecting anything spectacular and have no idea when this is supposed to be happening, I know a few crews already have.

I'm also aware of several guys with resumes out to other operators and and even a couple thinking of heading over to the regionals.

Interesting times for sure.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

they need to have a few planes parked due to no crews available before they treat their pilots with some respect.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Sounds like it's more the WCON part than the WA part that's pushing people out the door?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Seems like it might be the schedules (or lack thereof) that might be pushing people out of corporate flying in general. Especially when Jazz, etc are upgrading so fast.

I've heard Sunwest, Skyservice,Chartright, London, and Anderson are having a hard time finding the type of experience they want. Skyservice medevac pay for the recent ads is crap. And well, the aforementioned 704 bizjet companies on the west coast are kinda brutal and always have been.

I think this crazy shortage will make them all become better eventually - they all need to compete for pilots with any sort of time, and quickly.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

Wage and working conditions at Skyservice, at least on the aircraft I fly are excellent.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

I don't remember Skyservice actually posting pay for the Medevac spots.

Just a post in salary where someone asked and the response was from a friend of a friend of a friend who worked there and thought they remember captains being paid 45k.

That being said we dont know for sure what Sky pays their 45 flightcrew.

The corporate life isn't for everybody that's for sure, but it has its silver linings.

Cheers,

S.

West peak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by West peak »

Well they're going to have to do something, they've lost 9-10 guys in the last couple of months according to my buddy who flies there. Even he's starting to look around and a few years ago he was an avid fan of the company.

Seems the motivation is low pay and complete lack of anything resembling a schedule.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

schnitzel2k3 wrote:I don't remember Skyservice actually posting pay for the Medevac spots.

Just a post in salary where someone asked and the response was from a friend of a friend of a friend who worked there and thought they remember captains being paid 45k.

That being said we dont know for sure what Sky pays their 45 flightcrew.

The corporate life isn't for everybody that's for sure, but it has its silver linings.

Cheers,

S.
Let us not mistake for the Lear medevac for corporate flying; two very different worlds. The schedule varies dramatically and the chances for late night, immediate response call-outs for flying outside of North America is always present. Captain pay when I was there was around 53k to start, 5+ years ago. That being said, there is a published schedule for days off, but the true 24 hours on-call really did me in. I wish I could have stayed longer, a 12 hour on/off like some operators have would have changed my world. Still, I had a hell of an experience there; great crews.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Totally agree, and I think my post was encompassing of two different viewpoints, unfortunately mashed into the same comment.

I made a comment on both pay for Sky medevac and corporate/charter as a lifestyle.

Personally I have never flown medevac but I can imagine, even over the short term, how demoralising those a.m callouts could be.

Not my cup of tea but I notice medevac pilots see some pretty unique places. Definitely critical to have an operator who values some QOL to stay on that side of the industry. From the jobs postings I see every month or two, I'm guessing thats a rare case.

My secondary comment was that while corporate isnt for everybody, it has its silver linings. Most guys thinking corporate long term really enjoy the dynamic nature and control that is generally available while flying a corporate aircraft. If you can find an operator with a schedule and a 12hr+ call to throttle, thats even better.

Didn't know Sky only paid 53ish for a Lear captain...that is...interesting, but that may change too. Looks like they were struggling with crew across the board.

S.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Can a low timer hook up with a corporate gig within the next couple of years, somebody with about 800 to 1000 hours or do the corporates require higher time FOs?

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Roar wrote:Wage and working conditions at Skyservice, at least on the aircraft I fly are excellent.
Working conditions are dictated by your owner ROAR....salary maybe not, but take that for what it is worth. Excellent is a strong word though. You (and me for that matter) should be getting paid more for what we do. I think when most apply to skyservice, they are not presented with your WAWACON initially. Unless they come with the experience you did.

Having said that I agree, nothing wrong with skyservice if you can get a decent gig there.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

marakii wrote:Can a low timer hook up with a corporate gig within the next couple of years, somebody with about 800 to 1000 hours or do the corporates require higher time FOs?
My advice to you, this would be a terrible route to go. Chartright would/will most certainly take you, as when vacancies arrise there they typically have a hard time finding people willing to sign on to their wawcon.
Now my biggest reason for personally thinking a person in your situation should avoid is they will for sure seek outside applicants for direct entry captain vacancies. Someone with 800-1000 hours in their eyes isn't upgradeable until at least 2500-4000 hours and that's only if they also have a bunch of time on type. In a busy corporate gig you can maybe expect 400-500 hours a year and some of their planes do as little as 150-200 hours. You do the math on the amount of time until you can make a captains wage there/ I hope you don't have anyone else to support until then.

Return to “Corporate”