Switching places for apprenticeship.

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jay2x
Rank 1
Rank 1

Switching places for apprenticeship.

Post by jay2x »

I'm a recent graduate of Avionics at BCIT, I'm recently got hired for apprenticeship out of town from BC, however I started applying at local (BC) helicopter companies... and surprisingly I received a few calls from the MROs and wondering if I could get a phone interview or skype... seems like most of them are wanting a person to person interview.

I'd like the out of town as you will be working with fixed wing a/c. However I realize I prefer to do my apprenticeship local in BC. My questions are I hope someone has a recent experience.

What are the usual or competitive salary for helicopter avionics?

Is it a safe bet to get to learn helicopters or I will probably get layoff?

I really appreciate the input. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Switching places for apprenticeship.

Post by bring me the horizon »

It really depends what you want to do. Finding that compromise between what you want to do for work and where you want to live can be difficult when you're first starting out. When I first started I chose to work on fixed wing which then brought me to where I wanted to live I'm an M1/M2.

As for avionics all I can say is that I've worked as an independent contractor on and off for a couple years and they (avionics guys) are only in demand on a needed basis. Typically the best ones get to stick around and learn how to use a wrench when there's no avionics work to be done. The rest are sent home.

Not sure what the going rate for an Avionics Apprentice is but I'd have to assume that a helicopter guy is getting more than a fixed wing guy and all between low to mid teens in terms of $. Perhaps this is a good example of a question you should ask from those prospective MRO's?

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

may the force be with you young patawhan park your ego!

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

Avionics is avionics it doesn't matter the air frame you only have to know the code on what pin goes where and how to read drawings
good luck you are nothing special until you have at lease 10 years experiance and have trouble shooting experience
In my experience with avionics it has been a nightmare cause of E people that cut corners and think its ok
then the problems come and it is not easy to find the solution 75 percent of aircraft are grounded because of you nitwits that are lazy and don't know what you are doing

Return to “Employment Forum”