What do you think of the new uniforms?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: What do you think of the new uniforms?

Post by Black_Tusk »

Was in YUL the other day and bumped into two guys with full beards. Honestly, it looked fine. They were nice, well trimmed and professional. That was Jazz. I also saw a mainline guy in YWG the same pairing with a stubbly beard... it needed some work (in the time department) but it still looked fine. I think so long as people take the grooming seriously it will not be an issue. I recall seeing a lot of the WOW air pilots with beards back in the training hotel in YYZ. I didn't even think twice about it since they were clean and professional.
---------- ADS -----------

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

Just did my fitting today and liked it all except for the hat. I found it funny that despite the "fitting" appointment it is essentially off the rack sizing.
They just want to babysit you cause guys probably just shrug their shoulders and order ill fitting garments. I needed longer sleeves for the tunic and the woman said that it used to be no problem but the company got annoyed because they deemed it was being overused, hello bean counters.
So use the term "fitted" loosely (no pun intended :) )

At least it'll be warm in hell...
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Redwine wrote:I think allowing facial hair is a huge mistake.
Also, the uniform police need to be out in full force.
There are many slobs out there and it reflects poorly on the brand and your fellow colleagues..
Passengers see and notice much more than you think.
At first I was glad the rule was relaxed. Since then, I have seen 1 day stubble, a soul patch, a goatee and someone that looked like Wolfman Jack. Guess I am just jealous.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

I liked the new uniform. It's a nice update especially for fit. Wings/tie/hat, all the other stuff; it's all fine. Not perfect but for a uniform I think it's decent. The stuff all fit me fine except for the skinny pants I had to go up a size (to get bigger legs, I guess all those squats, hockey, and skiing make me bottom heavy) and have them take in the waist. For the zip-up soft shell, I wonder when the heck I will ever use that. Not in the flight deck, it's a wind breaker basically. So for that reason I will miss the sweater. I think we'll get used to the hat.
Overall A-

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Dockjock wrote:I liked the new uniform. It's a nice update especially for fit. Wings/tie/hat, all the other stuff; it's all fine. Not perfect but for a uniform I think it's decent. The stuff all fit me fine except for the skinny pants I had to go up a size (to get bigger legs, I guess all those squats, hockey, and skiing make me bottom heavy) and have them take in the waist. For the zip-up soft shell, I wonder when the heck I will ever use that. Not in the flight deck, it's a wind breaker basically. So for that reason I will miss the sweater. I think we'll get used to the hat.
Overall A-
I hope they get enough complaints about the sweater that they add it back in. I know I'll wear the new one a lot but I still like the sweater for the colder days up front. I may almost take some black dye and just dye my current one to match.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

I want a sweater with epaulletes and elbow patches.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Has anyone else gotten their new uniform? I wanted to hear some opinions on the pants. Does anyone else think they are different fabric? I swear they are different, the ones we tried on were basically stretchy and these have no stretch at all. Mine don't fit, and I have lost weight since the fitting. Curious if anyone else noticed anything.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Mine are the same as what I tried on...they still don't fit. The pants are tight around the calf, so when I sit it pulls the pant fight over the knees. The waist was already too big, so I couldn't go up a size. Hopefully with some wear, they will loosen.

At least it may seem they are changing the hat. I hope it will be more in line with the smaller hat of the old uniform.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

That's odd because my lower pants are super loose. I guess my thunder thighs just aren't fit for these pants. I may just go buy some black pants from somewhere else.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: What do you think of the new uniforms

Post by BTD »

I'm glad they are going back to the old badges on the hat and getting rid of the writing.

I also said to the fitters that I'd bet in 6 months they'd be offering a low profile hat. I was wrong. It is sooner.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

So they're giving us an option of the low-rise hat? Or everyone's getting one?

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

When I got my box of stuff there was no hat. The note came with it said, due to popular demand they are going back to the old style badge and removing the name on the band. And that a low rise hat would be available in six months. I'd take that to mean that you can order one then if you would like.

I will be.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

So. With the new uniform roll out, that means no hat (wouldn't be proper to wear old hat with new uniform) until the new one comes? Haha wishful thinking

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

BTD wrote:And that a low rise hat would be available in six months. I'd take that to mean that you can order one then if you would like. I will be.
Well, my note didn't say there would be a low rise option in 6 months, but I'll certainly order one too, when it's available.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Air.Field wrote:So. With the new uniform roll out, that means no hat (wouldn't be proper to wear old hat with new uniform) until the new one comes? Haha wishful thinking
The new hat is supposed to be delivered before August 1st. I guess we will see.

Magnetron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Magnetron »

What about those pants? I have heard many people, me included, having pants with no back pockets. Is that the design? If so, why?!

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

The pants are an absolute joke. Mine "fit" just right but are insanely tight everywhere except the waist. I'm in decent shape. I can't imagine what some of the larger guys are experiencing. I'm likely going to be going out and buying my own.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I may or may not have gone out and bought 4 pairs of black pants ;) 2 100% wool pants for the winter and 2 semi-stretch comfortable dress pants for the summer. (The Bay has great deals on right now) lol) The pants just don't fit at all anywhere but the waist, I'm not a big fan of the skinny pants look, especially when I sit down and my knees split the pants open.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

KenoraPilot wrote:I may or may not have gone out and bought 4 pairs of black pants ;) 2 100% wool pants for the winter and 2 semi-stretch comfortable dress pants for the summer. (The Bay has great deals on right now) lol) The pants just don't fit at all anywhere but the waist, I'm not a big fan of the skinny pants look, especially when I sit down and my knees split the pants open.
Thanks for the tip. I went and exchanged my pants, the fabric seems the same but it just doesn't' fit like I recall. I did the squat test I worry I will split the seam in the crotch pretty fast... Maybe I should stop working out legs. I'm probably going to go buy some pants from acutabove and try them out, they make very nice quality pilot uniforms.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Have you guys sent your feedback to that email on the letter that came with the uniform? It seems a little silly that guys are having to go out and buy there own.

Perhaps if enough folks bring attention to the fit, something will change

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere

Return to “Air Canada”