Ontario schools???

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Ontario schools???

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows any flight schools that you can get OSAP funding for an instructor rating?

I know there used to be the school in Guelph, but OSAP no longer gives out funding if you go there.

I figure if there are any schools out there that you can get funding for through OSAP, what's an extra 6 G's on top of what I already owe to them. :D

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I did an OSAP program for my PPL and I found that the student line of credit I obtained worked out better intrest and payment wise than the OSAP does.

The best thing for you to do is call the OSAP office out east and ask them directly...they will have a list of all the eligible flight schools....but after all the schools shutting down and screwing students over, I'd wager its a VERY short list.

Best of luck

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Thanks for the reply

That was another option was to get a line of credit, or I can just keep going the way it is now, working and flying towards a instructor rating part-time.

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I tried that...it was taking too long in between lessons and with working full time my retention was moderate causing costly review work. In the end I took alot of my vacation time and worked roughly a day a week, also did a call-in now and then. I finalized a line of credit and got it done. From my experience, it's like anything in aviation, jump in with both feet and never look back. It's not a philosophy I would always suggest due to the nature of the industry, it's a bit reckless, but my mind's been made up since I was very young. The sacrifices have been great, greater than I will admit to or like to think about, but I know where I belong and what I need to do to get there. If your mind's made up, work as little as you can with care not to neglect the bills, secure your $$$ and get it done.

I work two full time jobs and sleep roughly 28 hours a week, so i'm a little crazy. You've been warned. Take my advice as you see fit :lol:
I used to feel like your avatar states..." not where I want to be ". I could work a 16 hour shift for $$ toward my licences and still go to bed feeling like I accomplished nothing that day. Now when I find the time to sleep, I sleep well. If it makes any difference, I'm moving forward and I love my life. If I make it or not, I know I gave'r full throttle

p.s. This forum needs a spell check :D

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

LOL Haz...you have no shame.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Friendly advice: don't go into debt to get more ratings or experience. You will not be able to pay it off, after you start working. Heck, on what you'll be paid you won't be able to afford KD, let alone pay off bank loans!

Learn a trade, earn some money, build ratings and experience as you can afford to do so. When you start your flying career, you want cash in the bank, not a debt to pay!

If people were paying $100,000 to fly the right seat of a Ho, it would make sense to go into debt to finance your training, so you could be earning the Big Bucks ASAP.

But they don't, so you shouldn't.

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

There is a plus to this no money thing, My wife is working full time and she is on board with any decision I make(cuz she knows how moody I get when I have to go to my current job LOL).

Anyways thanks for the advice to all

bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

Fly now, pay later. Done deal.

Words of advice; treat every landing like it's your last. Enjoy it to the max.

:smt109

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Highflyinpilot »

very well said bob

Thair81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Thair81 »

Hey all,
Was reading through this post as it applies to me and my current situation. I am currently working on my Commercial at a small school. Once I complete the CPL I am thinking of switching schools and moving to a larger school that does Multi-IFR ratings and Instructor ratings. I would like to go somewhere that hires instructors from within. Can anyone list some schools in Ontario that might facilitate this? And from reading the posts on this topic I have already added Peninsulair to my list. :lol:

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

What school are you at now ?

-=0=LIR=0=-

Thair81
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Thair81 »

I'm at Grimsby Aviation right now. It is a great school and the instructor is top notch. If it were possible to get a job as an instructor there I would definitely do my rating there. However, the school is a very small one and therefore there is not a need for more than the one instructor. Also, I have been told by several people that I should go to a school where the potential exists for the school to hire you on as an instructor after you get your rating. Therefore, if anyone knows of any medium to larger schools that might do this, I would appreciate the heads up.
Also, I am looking at schools where (hypothetically) after I become an instructor and start working for them that I could also pick up my Multi-IFR/IR ratings.
Again any helpful info would be appreciated.

Tamago
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tamago »

Toronto Airways at Buttonville Airport hires instructors from their pool of students. I'm not sure how that would work out if you're already training somewhere else.

Hrhannie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Ontario schools???

Post by Hrhannie »

Harvs Air in Winnipeg has two locations and takes OSAP for all licences and ratings PPL to CPL plus plus !!

They also have accommodation.....

I've been looking for flight schools in Ontario that I can do this at without doing the long college route and this seems to be the only one.

If anyone knows of any flight schools accepting OSAP for a program like Harvs Air let me know !!!

Return to “Flight Training”