Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Copilot20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Discrimination ?

Post by Copilot20 »

Hi everybody,

I'm starting a survey to see if the major airlines are systematically turning down pilots at a certain age. Depending on the result and conclusion. It just might end up to the labor board.

For emple, I'm 53 with a good background multi, jet etc... and was turn down by, Jazz, westjet, sky regional. Even in this period of huge demand.

I think that our experience is a plus for those company. In the past couple of months one of these company is hireing young guys in there 20's with less then 1000 hours and no real IFR experience and not selecting pilots with thousands of hours that are older. They won't mention that age is the reason. It would be discrimination. So, this is why this survey comes in place.

Thank to all of you.
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Discrimination ?

Post by JBI »

While I can't comment on your specific situation, I know of new hires in their 50s at most of those carriers.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Spelling hiring correct is a start... also maybe you come off cocky like they need your experience which is a good reason not to hire you. Maybe a look in the mirror instead of a witch hunt is due.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Copilot20 wrote:young guys in there 20's with less then 1000 hours and no real IFR experience

Not really.

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

Can you be SIC to one of those 20 something dudes with no real ifr experience? Your post seems to reflect what your answer would be. Maybe your resume does too, and you are not aware...

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Not too sure about age, could just be you didn't vibe with them in the interview or something?

However there are some companies like wasaya who are openly racist in their hiring practices.

That's about all I can think of as fas as discrimination

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Did we just meet NickyNick's dad?

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

I have worked for various airlines in Canada. I can attest pilots of all ages and background have been hired at various places. Experience is just one of the many factors an airline looks at before hiring a pilot.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Speaking just about Sky Regional they have hired pilots recently in there 50's and one in his early 60's. So it wasn't your age that didn't get you hired.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Copilot20 wrote:Hi everybody,

I'm starting a survey to see if the major airlines are systematically turning down pilots at a certain age. Depending on the result and conclusion. It just might end up to the labor board.

For emple, I'm 53 with a good background multi, jet etc... and was turn down by, Jazz, westjet, sky regional. Even in this period of huge demand.

I think that our experience is a plus for those company. In the past couple of months one of these company is hireing young guys in there 20's with less then 1000 hours and no real IFR experience and not selecting pilots with thousands of hours that are older. They won't mention that age is the reason. It would be discrimination. So, this is why this survey comes in place.

Thank to all of you.
Just curious, what do you consider "real IFR" experience? Would a pilot who cut their teeth up north flying a PC12 or Navajo in IMC not be a "real IFR" pilot to you?

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Copilot20 what is your experience exactly, you were pretty vague about that.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Sky Regional hired guys of all ages including 50's and 60's that's for sure. I also had guys in their late 40's or 50's in my class at WJ. No smoke here.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Just a slight input on why Skyregional hired older guys; They happened to have a huge need for direct entry left seaters at one time, and the majority were already doing the same job elsewhere but were forced back into, or chose to re enter, the market.

As far as age discrimination is concerned, I would say that it exists, I've seen it, but at the end of the day, hiring is a package deal with a rather large dose of subjectivity mixed in the equation. Everyone is looking for a different magic sauce.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

lownslow wrote:Did we just meet NickyNick's dad?
Best post of the year :prayer:

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

Referencing Sky Regional I wasn't talking about the hiring for the initial 15 Embraers, I was talking about the last 6 months to a year.

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Copilot20 wrote:
For emple,

and was turn down by

experience is a plus for those company.

of these company is hireing young guys

in there 20's with
I hope you didn't make spelling mistakes like this in your Cover letter...it would certainly paint you in a very poor light if you did. You might have already lost the position, before you showed up.

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Those sound like direct french to english translations tp. Not making excuses, mais c'est possible.

I hear stories pretty regularly of high time pfo's all over. They're desperate for pilots...but not that desperate apparently.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

twinpratts wrote:
Copilot20 wrote:
For emple,

and was turn down by

experience is a plus for those company.

of these company is hireing young guys

in there 20's with
I hope you didn't make spelling mistakes like this in your Cover letter...it would certainly paint you in a very poor light if you did. You might have already lost the position, before you showed up.
No offence, but the original post had many more spelling and grammatical errors that this. Apologies, if English is not your first language, though.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Copilot20 wrote:Hi everybody,

Thank to all of you.
Hey co-pilot,

I am doing initial training now for WestJet which unfortunately for you has a gentlemen that is mid-late fifties with loads of time. I'd say that if your being turned down, it has more to do with how you interview.

You will have a very difficult time proving this case to the labour board.

imc
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by imc »

From my perspective, hiring a 50-something would be ideal at a regional carrier. They need people to stay so if you didn't get hired, there is more going on than discrimination. Perhaps doing some interview prep or recording yourself answering HR-type questions will give you some insight into what is going on.

Best of luck moving forward.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”