RP

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

RP

Post by Old fella »

Question time. Do new hires stay in RP positions long or do the bid out at first opportunity, is it a sought after job.
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: RP

Post by Black_Tusk »

I have no experience but I imagine since it's flat pay, it wouldn't really matter too much until year 5? Unless you wanted to get over to Rouge or something as an FO.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

From the folks that I know, it's been about 50/50. Some love the schedule and like the international flying. I know a number of AC pilots that got RP on the 767 and then when they were forced out, moved to the 777. Also, I know a few 777 RPs who are simply staying RP until they can hold an FO spot.

The flip side is that I know a few guys who as soon as they could get a decent NB FO spot, bid out as they didn't love the schedule and not "flying". All personal preference from what I can gather.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Everyone follows different paths, there are relief pilots with over 20 years of service, lots with 10, most seem to lots wait until they can hold the right seat on their aircraft. Pilot's who are getting topped up as per the Jazz PML seem pretty content with their RP positions, while others with out top up bid EMJ Captain to get off of the 4 year fixed pay rates. There are no relief pilot positions in YUL (or YWG) so pilots looking for positions there bid out of relief spots while other choose to commute. The overseas operation seems to attract pilot who commute due to the high credit multi-day pairings, high dollar per diem and later check-in times. Only the 777 and 787 have relief pilots, senior RP's are able to build very productive monthly schedules while junior RP's usually work the less desirable, longer (in terms of days away from home) pairings.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

The most beautiful thing about working for AC is the choice. Never understood why fellow pilots would slag working for AC. NB FO, NB CA, WB FO, WB CA, and RP. Stay a while and you could have any position at any seniority on any equipment. Like socialized bidding? Put on the red tie. Give up some money, get a great lifesstyle. Want to work a little harder? Make bank. I've worked with some pilots that have no desire to upgrade and want to move from FO to RP for lifestyle. Good on em. I've had pilots in the jump that have been RP since they were hired and want to continue on that path. Good for them too.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

How easy is it to get the base you want? If I want YVR base, but only YYZ is available to start, and I take a position here (I live in YYZ), is it using up a bid to request YVR? How fast can guys or gals expect to wait to get YVR? Thanks.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You don't burn a bid if you don't change seats or the airplane. You can change bases on any bid, but there has to be a vacancy and you have to have the seniority to have it awarded to you.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

CZBBYYZPilot wrote:How easy is it to get the base you want? If I want YVR base, but only YYZ is available to start, and I take a position here (I live in YYZ), is it using up a bid to request YVR? How fast can guys or gals expect to wait to get YVR? Thanks.
Generally, guys & gals looking for YVR have been getting it off the initial PIT course on the A320...

However, a couple people in the past year selected near the bottom of their course and were essentially forced to the Embrear because those were the only slots remaining. However, within a year, all of them are on different aircraft in YVR.

So, likely you would get A320 right off the bat in YVR, small chance you would have to wait less than a year. The one nice thing about switching to YVR afterwards is that you would be able to choose between the B777, B787 or A320. (They all have openings right now) Possibly the B737 in the not too distant future.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Thanks for the info, good to know.

Return to “Air Canada”