Western's Business and Aviation Program

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Evan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Western's Business and Aviation Program

Post by Evan »

Hey,
Im going into grade 12 and am hell bent on getting into this program. I have a 82 average going into grade 12, and i hear that you need at least a 80 to even be considered. Is there anyone here in the program that can tell me how competitve it is, and the average grade needed to get in. And when(when) i get in, how is the workload, and is the business degree comprehensive? or is it just there to make it more than flight training? Any feedback would be great. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

I was an instructor with the program for 4 years.. The average required to get into the program varies depending on how many people are trying to get in. Usually in the 80% range. The workload is heavy, and you are required to make 3 bookings a week (and with weather problems more). There is also a groundschool that is runs in the evenings once a week. Good program but lots of work. Good luck

PatDaPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PatDaPilot »

I'm currently entering my third year in the very program you are interested in Evan. From what I can tell, your average usually just needs to be above 80% to be considered for the course, however there is a secondary application where you must explain why you think you would be a good candidate for the course. If your dream is to become a pilot don't hold back, let them know exactly how you feel and why you feel that way.

As for the workload, I'm not going to lie, it's tough. You take a full course load of business studies, you're basically getting Western's equivalent of a Commerce degree, so it's no joke degree. Balancing that with flight training and studying for ground school is like working a job while at school. Or I should say it's about as time consuming as having a job while at school (it's definately alot more fun and rewarding). All and all though, I would say it's doable, you just have to want it bad enough. Good luck with school this year and maybe I'll see you next September.

~You think the sky's the limit? I think there's no limit to the sky~
Evan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Evan »

lol, one more western question. Is it as much as a party school as everyone says it is? :D

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

its as much of a party school as you want it to be. That said, I went to a couple of schools and also visited friends at other universities and they arent much different. There are serious students at Western that never go out and there are the others that spend more on booze than they do on food.

About the program, what you've heard so far is true. The flight training is in addition to a full university degree program but it differs from working in that it is fun and if its what you want to do its not a chore. I worked 2 part time jobs and coached highschool volleyball while in the program and it eventually caught up to me. The instructors were great while I was there and some of my classmates are now intructing there while other graduates have some pretty good jobs in aviation as well.

Good luck to you

pirate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pirate »

Hey Evan,

If you are hell bent I'm sure you'll make it in. I recently graduated outta the program and although when I applied the average was relatively lower it has been steadily increasing over the past few years and will continue to do so. Unlike professional schools where it is hard as hell to get in and once you're in you are are set, the Western CAM program just gets harder and people start dropping lke flies between the first and third years. Second year is probably the toughest. Although there are certain aspects of the degree that need to be tweaked up, you are getting a fantastic education and some of the best flight training in the country done by Empire. The instructors were top notch, the equipment was awesome and so were the facilities. Western is a decent party school, so watch out...just makes it harder for the 8am flights. :D

The only downside, (and other CAM folks can agree with me) is the weather in london. The lake effect snows in winter and the thunderstorms in the summer can slow you schedule down, so most defintely keep up with your flying as it can bite you in the ass later.

PM me if you need more info. Good to see a CAM contigent on this site finally!

Good Luck

Evan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Evan »

Thanks for all the input, This course is perfect, because with all the licences, i get a back up degree, in case i change my mind, or i can go with ivy. That was the biggest pull factor in my decision to apply to this program. I hope that i get in, and will see some of you next year(fingers crossed)

ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Western's Business and Aviation Program

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

Hi Evan,

I'm currently in my fourth year in this program.

It was tough when I applied to this program because I thought I would not have made it as well, as I was crazy about the program too.

There is a supplementary app that must be filled out, very intensive, but like one of the previous people have said, speak your mind, shout out your dream.

The fact about how students drop like flies is also true as the work load is very very heavy. However, don't be afraid as first and second year has many gate keeping courses just to keep those slackers out, but once you get through second year, you will truly enjoy learning, because the courses in this program are specially designed to expose you to the aviation industry.

And yes you do graduate with a commerce degree and you also have the option of going to IVY also the best in Canada

The program is very very flexible,

I have had friends that were in the flight portion of the program but have changed to the non-flight portion due to work load.
I have had friends that were in the flight portion of the program but have gone to IVY.
I have had friends that were in the CAM program but has changed majors because they found something they love just as much.

So it all depends what you like. University is a learning experience and opportunity like non other.
I know you hear this stuff from you high school teachers and stuff...

but University of Western Ontario, is a damn good school...since I have chosen UWO i have not regretted it one bit.

I hope you get in...good luck...and on behave of the CAM program and its students, I welcome and thank you for your passion for UWO and for CAM

etkuo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by etkuo »

Hi Evan,

My name is Evan, too. And we have another Evan in upper year, so if you come we will have 3 Evan in this small program.

Anyway this is a good program. You have aviation classes in the university (which unlike waterloo's program which you do normal classes then go fly outside). And in the program you learn airline/airport management so if for some reason you loose your medical or you just don't want to fly you can still get an aviation related job.

This program is improving every year so it would be a nice program for u.

Hope to see u at Western

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I don't mean to sound rude, but the original post was from 2005 - so chances are this original poster is either in the program just starting 3rd year or has done something completely different.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

JBI wrote:I don't mean to sound rude, but the original post was from 2005 - so chances are this original poster is either in the program just starting 3rd year or has done something completely different.
Maybe evan of 2008 is talking to evan of 2005 without even realizing it.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Hellooooooo. McFly... :D

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I'm George, George McFly. I'm your density :)

On that note - check out Biff's Question Song

E-Flyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by E-Flyer »

Evan wrote:Hey,
Im going into grade 12 and am hell bent on getting into this program. I have a 82 average going into grade 12, and i hear that you need at least a 80 to even be considered. Is there anyone here in the program that can tell me how competitve it is, and the average grade needed to get in. And when(when) i get in, how is the workload, and is the business degree comprehensive? or is it just there to make it more than flight training? Any feedback would be great. Thanks
Try to keep that 82, as grade 12 is nothing like grade 11.

Honestly though, if you are looking in the 80's work just a little harder, and go to Seneca !

etkuo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by etkuo »

JBI wrote:I don't mean to sound rude, but the original post was from 2005 - so chances are this original poster is either in the program just starting 3rd year or has done something completely different.
oh well... i didn't realize that. anyway disregard my first sentence last post but i believe the comments on the program will be useful for some other folks, hopefully.

ToFlyIsDivine
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToFlyIsDivine »

Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?

The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

Return to “Flight Training”