Skywing Aviation - Red Deer Opinions?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dgpurger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Skywing Aviation - Red Deer Opinions?

Post by dgpurger »

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a PPL and have registered at Skywings to start my ground school here in a couple weeks. After doing some searching on google, I stumbled upon some old reviews of Skywings and nothing good was said. Infact, people were trying to deter anyone from going there. The most recent post about them I found was in 2012 that only referenced that they were busy with foreign students. And a 2008 post seemed to bash them completely, saying the CFI was no good and no instructor took their job seriously. I understand that there will always be more people with bad experiences taking the time to make their opinions heard rather than those with good experiences to right a good review. Because of this, I do not want to jump to conclusions.

Has anyone taken training there recently? What was your opinion going there? I took a familirization flight with one of the instructors and I was actually impressed by how many details he went over (mind you he knew it was not my first time in a C172). If skywings is a no go, then I will have to take online ground school and do flight training only over the weekends in Calgary at either CFC or SATC. I would rather stay at skywings only because I could theoretically fly every day of the week, weather permitting.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

danishroy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Skywing Aviation - Red Deer Opinions?

Post by danishroy »

I went there to do accelerated ppl right out of high school (5 years ago). Yes lots of foreign students, instructors were good but the receptionist was pretty rude to me. I was having some personal issues and was kind of burned out. She treated me like shit and I didn't come out of my room for 7 days and missed all my lessons. I lived on base and renting from the school. No one bothered to check if I was ok or dead. I walked in 8 days later and said I'm dropping out and she said oh we thought you died or something haha. I was not very impressed with them. But I'm sure the staff has changed over the years and if you had a good experience on your fam flight then id say go for it. Worse case you can switch if it doesn't work out.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

I have no personal experience with this particular school, but it always depend on how you want to be structured while you do your training.

If you're the kind of person who likes to do it by yourself, pretty much any school will be good for you as you will dictate the rhythm.

The structure of the flying school and your assigned flying instructor are the two key elements that will make a difference in your training.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rightseatdriver »

Steer clear. I've heard nothing but bad things about this flight school. Their aircraft are outdated and the instructors don't care about you. The management at sw are all involved in politics at the near by small town of penhold and they are never truly around and from what I've heard - they aren't very involved with Skywings anymore. Go to the other flight school in cyqf. And I've heard the same thing about the receptionist

mwd2av8
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mwd2av8 »

All flight schools have their pros and cons.

I did most of my training at SW at CYQF and you can save a lot more money here than many of the other options out there with your training as long as its done right. MRU/SATC = $100,000 +++ VS. SW = $60,000.

Sit down with an instructor and devise a structured training plan that will work for your schedule. Remember: Its your money, get the most out of your investment.
Ways to save cash and finish your licenses/ratings in the shortest time possible: Stick with the same instructor and fly as much as you can; live, breath, dream Aviation, when you're not flying hit the books and write all the practise exams you can get your hands on for the license or endorsement you are working on, if you can't find any ask your instructor.
Unlike flight schools where you just get churned out like a meat grinder you can find professionals here that will guide you from start to finish and even take the time to help you outside of regular hours to finish your training in the shortest time possible.

The foreign contracts are done and they are focused on domestic and local students now since the other flight school down the street does not take anyone that is not Chinese.

Yes, the receptionist definitely does need to be replaced/retired but she is not an instructor so easily avoidable. Sorry to hear about your experience with her danishroy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

s.omstead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by s.omstead »

I was planning on taking my CPL there fall of 2018 update this thread if you like it there. Thanks :D 8)

jjc839
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jjc839 »

I did my PPL there a few years ago, and did some further training this year. The instructors are time builders; no actual industry experience. Not to say they are bad instructors, some are good at their job, some not so good. I'm sure they are the lowest paid instructors in the industry so its not surprising that they all leave as son as they have a few hours. The planes are BEAT. Interiors falling apart, ancient avionics. When I did my PPL the international students had priority. No more international contracts that I know of so that isn't an issue anymore.

It's an ok place to train for the basics, but could really be hit and miss depending on who your instructor is. It is really the only option at CYQF. Montair only trains Chinese students. My biggest complaint is the sad state of the aircraft.

ZachT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZachT »

Im currently taking my Multi-IFR with them. Some good, and some bad. If I had to recommend some instructors, then I would probably go with Jared, Mike, Jenna, Justin, and Savanah. I would ask from top to bottom, but they all have an excellent teaching style. They are passionate and thorough. Night flying is a pain though. Unless you are doing your night rating with an instructor, good luck scheduling yourself after 1700.

The accommodations are ok, although they recently changed the internet to an objectively inferior connection, where my computer has been unable to connect to for the past month and a half. There was also very little attempt to get my computer connected on the IT side, despite me bringing it up, and upon informing them that I was attempting to connect my computer, after being given the pass code, one of the instructors that was not named accused me of hacking. To be clear, it was basic command line ipconfig and other diagnostic tools on my client side. Other than the internet, it has the necessities. Electricity, water, heating, etc. The rent is also quite low, at only $400/mo, so you have that as well.

I agree with the other commenters that *the receptionist* really hates her job, and you can tell. Just don't speak to her as much as possible. She will find a bone pick, so just know that it is not you in particular. Loans can be pretty slow, but that could just be the government as much as it is the flight school.

All in all, 6/10. If they got rid of the receptionist, and went back to the internet connection they had before, it would be at least 8/10, maybe 9/10. If you are still looking, there is always Beau Soufi from Skywest Aviation operating out of Olds-Didsbury. He had a nice Cessna 150 and is a lot more versatile for night flights and scheduling. I would say Beau is at least a 9/10, to maybe a rare 10.

sayswho
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sayswho »

Wow Wow Wow just Wow.
I wonder how people think flight training is a customer care business rather than a skill learning institution.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

sayswho wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:48 am Wow Wow Wow just Wow.
I wonder how people think flight training is a customer care business rather than a skill learning institution.
Can't it be both?

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Legioner707
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Legioner707 »

I'm Planning to do my training there in 2023. Y'all think it's worth it? and I ain't Canadian.

Return to “Flight Training”