Bush plane capable of carrying ATVs?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Krazer12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bush plane capable of carrying ATVs?

Post by Krazer12 »

I was wondering if there is an amphibious bush-type plane I could use to carry 2 ATVs. The large one is 85.6"×44.1"×47.2" (l×w×h) and the small one is about 3'9"x2'6"x3'. I would like it to land on water and land as I would be flying it to my cottage. I would also prefer a homebuild kit. Thanks! :D
---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Bush plane capable of carrying ATVs?

Post by '97 Tercel »

twin otter

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Krazer12 wrote: I would also prefer a homebuild kit. Thanks! :D
Homebuilt kit, behemoth, amphibious, seems reasonable. We could put retractable gear on this. How much birch do you have around your cottage?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

As you may recall from the other thread, the maximum amateur built aircraft weight permitted in Canada is about 3900 pounds - or about two to three times the ATV weight you'd like to transport. In addition to many months or years of your dedicated time, a 3900 pound amateur built aircraft will cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars. You may find it cheaper just to buy two ATVs dedicated to your cottage, and hire a Twin Otter operator to fly them in for you! There are times when DIY is not the better solution.

If you're very determined, build/buy a Murphy Rebel type aircraft, and make many flights to take the ATV's in in pieces. A friend of mine once took a bulldozer in several DC-3 trips, along with the welding equipment required to weld it back together at the destination. Cat may know of that adventure.... The ATV's should be more simple, only wrenches required....

Krazer12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Krazer12 »

PilotDAR wrote:As you may recall from the other thread, the maximum amateur built aircraft weight permitted in Canada is about 3900 pounds - or about two to three times the ATV weight you'd like to transport.
The large ATV is only about 600lbs with fuel and oil an the little one is about 200-250lbs

Krazer12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Krazer12 »

Krazer12 wrote:
PilotDAR wrote:As you may recall from the other thread, the maximum amateur built aircraft weight permitted in Canada is about 3900 pounds - or about two to three times the ATV weight you'd like to transport.
The large ATV is only about 600lbs with fuel and oil an the little one is about 200-250lbs
I was wondering if there was one where I could load the ATV into with minimal disassembly.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The large ATV is only about 600lbs with fuel and oil an the little one is about 200-250lbs. I was wondering if there was one where I could load the ATV into with minimal disassembly.
In a word: No.

Any ATV worth taking into the bush will begin at at least 500 pounds. My "large" single seat ATV is 895 pounds - before winches, and other add ons. Being overly optimistic with loads into the bush is a high risk factor. That 100 pounds you misestimated the weight can create a safety risk for the flight. The bottom line is that there are no aircraft which qualify as amateur built in Canada which will carry any "bush worthy" ATV whole. The cost to operate an aircraft which will carry an ATV a hundred miles into the bush, will approach the value of some ATV's just getting it there.

If you need to have an ATV flown into the bush, find an operator who flies to where you would like to go, and ask them if they can figure out how to get your ATV there for you. They may say yes, they may say no - they'll know what they're talking about.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

To my knowledge, there are no amateur or homebuilts that can fly such machines into the bush. I have however operated Beavers(as an external load), Turbo Otters and Twin Otter commercially that will take them in. Hire a local air service and just leave them at camp.

Unless you've got the million bucks to buy and operate a Turbo Otter, which by the way will burn anywhere from 250-400lbs/hr of JET fuel... require some serious training and insurance, not to mention the maintenance costs per hour.

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Dogsledder for a couple o 2 4 s ?

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Take it as an external load on the float.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Take it as an external load on the float.
... if you have been granted the required approval.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

As a previous poster stated, there are times (many times!) when it makes much more sense just to charter an appropriate aircraft. Unless you live in the far north, I'm sure you have plenty of options in that regard. Put your ATV's on an Otter, fill it up with other heavy/bulky stuff (propane cylinders, a couple of drums of gas and/or heating oil, lumber etc.) and you're ahead of the game.

I built my entire camp, 100-miles from the nearest human, with an Otter charter a year for four years. Now we have three small buildings, a 14-foot boat and outboard motor, a snowmobile and sled, a real mattress on our bed, and a ton of other stuff that would have been impossible or difficult to haul in/on our PA-12/18 clone. The wear and tear on a small airplane, the time and the fuel usage makes an Otter charter a bargain by comparison.

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

more money than brains do you have any idea on what it takes to load a 700 pound ATV into a floatplane -3 or 6 first of all a single otter can't take your load the door measurements won't be in your specifications and a twin is not much better for the door opening you must strip all the plastic then take off all the wheels, handle bars
you would be better off with a bt67 on skis in the winter or drive it there in the winter
a 450 yamaha grissly is the max to get in a twin from my recollection and every one of us suffered back pains and frustration
to hell and back

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

if you have the ambition and money use a helicopter you have the most ridiculous post i have ever seen on avcan
aviation brings the most talented

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

I once saw what a tremendous amount of money spent in aviation and it wasn't militar
YZF a pontoon boat that had to be flown north to a lodge 300 k north it would not fit in a herc o rDHC buffalo so they thought 212 ok
the load became uncontrollable and they dropped it
money was no object for this man he had a new boat constructed and flown in and assembled to have a salmon arm cruiser on controydo lake NWT
long live Max Ward

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

' ^ , ? ^ , , , & . ^ ^ , . ^ , !

^ , ^ ! ^ .

, . , . ^ ^ , . ^ , . ^ , , . ^ !

Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

tohellnback wrote:if you have the ambition and money use a helicopter you have the most ridiculous post i have ever seen on avcan
Dude, periods. Sentence structure. Paragraphs. Looks like you just shotgunned random words at a screen.

And this was far from the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Just an overly optimistic scenario without the real world experience to temper it.

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

if you have the ambition and money use a helicopter you have the most ridiculous post i have ever seen on avcan
:roll:

It sure does! Wow!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Turbo Beaver with the big back door. In the winter on skiis, it's easier to load and can handle the weight. The big 4 wheeler will go in on it's side (obviously drain the fluids), might have to pull the racks, wheels and handle bars. Where are you located?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”