Air Canada named best airline in North America

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Air Canada named best airline in North America

Post by groundpilot »

"Air Canada was named the best airline in North America at the Paris Air Show on Tuesday..."

http://business.financialpost.com/pmn/t ... fca873a777

Gravol et el: Make sure to chime in, no thread can exist without some negativity

"Haters gonna hate"
---------- ADS -----------

Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada named best airline in North America

Post by Broker »

Why would anyone chime in if you have already classified them as "haters"?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I enjoy flying on Air Canada though I don't think there's stiff competition for them - US airlines seem generally horrendous in my experience.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

in North America

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I believe it's called "The Cream of the Crap" award.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

At least we're keeping it real, complex...

You know... paying everyone 1st world wages... pensions for our retirees... getting gouged with taxes and fees... paying for our gas... and still managing to put something decent and respectable together...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

altiplano wrote:At least we're keeping it real, complex...

You know... paying everyone 1st world wages... pensions for our retirees... getting gouged with taxes and fees... paying for our gas... and still managing to put something decent and respectable together...
+1. Mic drop

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

+1

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

altiplano wrote:At least we're keeping it real, complex...

Ummm...congratulations?

Too bad you can't add "we have a sense of humour" to your list of notable accomplishments that apparently includes "paying for your gas"...??

I wish I could afford 1st world wages, I'd come back in a heartbeat. Well, maybe once the sock puppet in Ottawa is replaced by someone with a bit of substance.

But don't be so sensitive, I've defended AC's product numerous times, they've really picked it up over the last several years. My silly joke was just pointing out that being the best North American airline is not exactly a high bar to clear.

Try and smile a little more! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

complexintentions wrote:I believe it's called "The Cream of the Crap" award.
Hard to improve on that. Those Calling AC anywhere the best off continent -- should get out more, and fly an airline that doesn't have both snotty personnel and that are almost all 3 feet wide and can't walk down the aisles collision free -- :rolleyes:

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

You can tell they really hate the narrow aisle of the new high density cabin. Maybe they think if they ram the shoulder of everyone they will complain to the company so they switch back to the old style. They are sure not going to walk at an angle.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Jean-Pierre wrote:You can tell they really hate the narrow aisle of the new high density cabin. Maybe they think if they ram the shoulder of everyone they will complain to the company so they switch back to the old style. They are sure not going to walk at an angle.
I notice the fatness and hostility factor are positively correlated. Don't notice Europe or Asian airline FA's with such issues.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Wow, what a peach you are rookie.

Nothing else to say, resort to shallow insults...

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

altiplano wrote:Wow, what a peach you are rookie.

Nothing else to say, resort to shallow insults...
You know, sky is blue. Arguing it isn't is just foolish.

And AC service is so rude, and FA's are so wide they slam into you as they walk by so much an aisle seat is a hazard, compared to every international carrier out there.

I simply get tired of having a fat ass slam into me on an 8 hour flight when I'm trying to sleep, and loudly yelling Duty free!

Not insults, just facts, that everyone knows except AC cheerleaders.

It's also pretty easy to make lots of money with a protectionist liberal government......

Funny JD says completely different. AC at the bottom. Maybe unlike Skytrax they actually read the customer reviews.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/j-d-pow ... -1.4093884

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I personally found AC domestic service quite good the times I have flown with them. I have flown United and Aer Lingus on their domestic routes with same aircraft types A320 and found Air Canada to be equally as good in all aspects. I have no experience long haul international with any airline outside of Air Canada so not in a position to make any comparison but have been on AC B767 and 777 and those trips were great.When flying on any airline, I exhibit courteous and respectful mannerisms to all airline staff I interact with be they counter/departure/baggage and in-flight cabin crew, up front flight crew. That has been reciprocated back to me as a fare paying passenger/customer whatever you want to tag it on each and every airline.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Must say I have to agree with the above post. My experiences have been quite good, can't recall having any negative experience worth mentioning. Fair is fair.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

I've read that there is a button under the aisle side arm rest that allows it to be raised vertically. I'm not sure if Air Canada aircraft have it. It could allow for some protection. I guess their hips are still going to slam into your seat but at least it's not your shoulder. I want to try it but I'm also afraid of getting shouted at by them for doing something they don't like.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Who's paying who "First World Wages?". Last I checked, the entry level pay at AC for their F/Os is not even close to a "first world" considering the astronomical price of living anywhere near one of their hubs. (And anything over 1 hour drive from your base airport is already way too much)

Das ist mir wurst...
Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

HansDietrich wrote:Who's paying who "First World Wages?". Last I checked, the entry level pay at AC for their F/Os is not even close to a "first world" considering the astronomical price of living anywhere near one of their hubs. (And anything over 1 hour drive from your base airport is already way too much)
Still a huge improvement from where you're at Jazz isn't it? Kinda like that black kettle smoking pot or something like that

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

HansDietrich wrote:Who's paying who "First World Wages?". Last I checked, the entry level pay at AC for their F/Os is not even close to a "first world" considering the astronomical price of living anywhere near one of their hubs. (And anything over 1 hour drive from your base airport is already way too much)
New hire pilot pay is sub-par. In fact all the way up - even a 777 Captain - is sub-par against many comparators... We are the highest paid in Canada AFAIK though once you're past that new hire part... But for your whole career, even as a new hire, your earnings certainly exceed a first world living wage and you end up in the 1% as you go along...

I am speaking about it as employees as a whole though. From ramp to groomers to FAs to ask the behind the scenes people - they are all paid well, good benefits, pensions, etc...

What does an Air China FA make? How about the pushback crew in Dubai? The groomers in LAX?

I suspect the AC workers do better then most.

So while pilots lag, everyone else does exceedingly well when viewed against their comparators. Canadian way I suppose...

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”