Harvard flips over July 9 2017

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Harvard flips over July 9 2017

Post by J31 »

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/plane-flips ... -1.3495739

An air show at the Billy Bishop Regional Airport near Owen Sound didn’t quite go as planned.
One of the planes, a WWII Harvard Mark 4, was trying to land when it left the runway and flipped into a field.
Two people were on board at the time of the crash.
The 46-year-old pilot was taken to hospital with minor injuries and has since been released.
The 21-year-old passenger was not seriously hurt.
An off-duty doctor and nurse who were at the event treated both victims.
The Transportation Safety Board has been notified.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Harvard flips over July 9 2017

Post by pelmet »

Port gear appears to be at at an unusual angle suggesting a swerve after landing.

I would be curious to know what the winds were at the time.......PDW, this is a case where your wind info could be useful.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote:Port gear appears to be at at an unusual angle suggesting a swerve after landing.

I would be curious to know what the winds were at the time.......PDW, this is a case where your wind info could be useful.
Wind question has been answered....Never take your eyes away from 100% concentration on keeping straight during any part of the landing roll in a Harvard, even with no crosswind(and the Yale is worse).

"C-FWLH, a Canadian Car & Foundry Harvard 4 aircraft operated by the Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association, was landing on Runway 18 at Owen Sound/Billy Bishop Regional, ON (CYSO) with one pilot and one passenger on board. During the landing roll out after touchdown, the aircraft veered right and exited the paved surface of the runway onto the grass. The aircraft travelled across a grassy area before encountering a drainage ditch and berm, causing it to flip over. The aircraft came to rest upside down and sustained substantial damage. Both occupants received minor injuries. It was reported that gusty crosswind conditions existed at the time of the event."

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

9kts WSW gusting 16kts / 2pm metar

The accident is rwy18 / 2:30pm.

WSW is 250T
rwy18 170T
xwind 80deg right

Gusting from the right, and "veered" to the right.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Was told recently that the attempted landing was just ahead of an advancing thunderstorm and the gust front hit while in the flare. The other Harvard was able to go-around.

Whether true or not, something to think about when considering in a taildragger and racing it in to beat a thunderstorm. I have been a pax with someone landing a similar aircraft with a CB to the north. Wing lifted up on the rollout but no bad ending.

Even a buildup quite far away can put out a good gust front. One of the best decisions I ever saw made was in my skydiving pilot days. Fairly far away buildup and the owner of the drop zone asks me if I think that there will be any effect at the airport. I said probably not but he kept the student jumpers on the ground anyways. He was right.

Bottom line...vulnerable airplane/airfoil....be conservative when landing near build-ups.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

pelmet wrote:Was told recently that the attempted landing was just ahead of an advancing thunderstorm and the gust front hit while in the flare. The other Harvard was able to go-around.

Whether true or not, something to think about when considering in a taildragger and racing it in to beat a thunderstorm. I have been a pax with someone landing a similar aircraft with a CB to the north. Wing lifted up on the rollout but no bad ending.

Even a buildup quite far away can put out a good gust front. One of the best decisions I ever saw made was in my skydiving pilot days. Fairly far away buildup and the owner of the drop zone asks me if I think that there will be any effect at the airport. I said probably not but he kept the student jumpers on the ground anyways. He was right.

Bottom line...vulnerable airplane/airfoil....be conservative when landing near build-ups.
Then again, anybody could have trouble trying to beat the storm....

"C-FGJJ, a privately operated Piper PA28-140, was on a VFR flight from Lacombe, AB (CEG3) to Wetaskiwin, AB (CEX3). While attempting a takeoff from runway 16 at CEG3 the pilot encountered a large gust and windshear from an approaching storm. The aircraft became airborne and drifted left of the runway. The windshear continued and the pilot landed the aircraft in the grass east of the
runway. The aircraft decelerated rapidly in the grass and overturned coming to rest inverted, approximately 200 yards east of runway 16. The pilot and passenger exited the aircraft uninjured. The aircraft was substantially damaged."

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”